Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Kurt McHenry

With the rise of true freshmen ready to step in immediately, early graduation to get into a room/ RTC should not come as a surprise to anyone. It is a logical outcome; it will begin with a slow trickle and eventually will lead to 10-20 of each graduating class. That number could be higher, but the basis of our sport leads that to be counterintuitive in my opinion. 

I will also be so bold as to say that the OTC route will be "discouraged" because of the direct impact of RTCs . I say the word "discouraged" loosely only because I can't think of a better term at the moment.

Edited by bnwtwg

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

With the rise of true freshmen ready to step in immediately, early graduation to get into a room/ RTC should not come as a surprise to anyone. It is a logical outcome; it will begin with a slow trickle and eventually will lead to 10-20 of each graduating class. That number could be higher, but the basis of our sport leads that to be counterintuitive in my opinion. 

I will also be so bold as to say that the OTC route will be "discouraged" because of the direct impact of RTCs . I say the word "discouraged" loosely only because I can't think of a better term at the moment.

TONS of top football recruits graduate HS in January and enroll early to attend spring practice and get a head start on being ready for College sports.  It also helps to get ahead of the curve on college graduation progress.  Now obviously those football players aren't giving up their senior football season since it's a fall sport, but the precedent is there.  There are also more and more elite basketball recruits reclassifying as a higher grade to get to college faster. 

to quote hammerlock, the 'odd' part of is the mid season deal. we've started to see kids skip their senior year of HS comp (Snyder etc) and the football cases are pretty well known. Wrestling half the year and then moving on is a little different. I don't really have a negative opinion on it or anything, just kind of struck me as....interesting I guess.

14 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

to quote hammerlock, the 'odd' part of is the mid season deal. we've started to see kids skip their senior year of HS comp (Snyder etc) and the football cases are pretty well known. Wrestling half the year and then moving on is a little different. I don't really have a negative opinion on it or anything, just kind of struck me as....interesting I guess.

If you are *that* good, why waste time against HS competition for another state title? Granted, I know absolutely nothing about this kid because I don't keep up with high school at all; he may not even be a top 20?... or he may be the next Snyder?? My point is simply that this has seemed like the logical progression for elite wrestlers in general, for quite a while, and to be honest I am surprised it has taken at long as it has to move in this direction.

Edit to add: many high school kids require multiple semesters and/ or summer school(s) to overload their credits to graduate early. So one can assume that they have their eyes on a bigger prize, and can handle larger rigors.

Edited by bnwtwg

mchenry is struggling in matches right now because he is too small... that match against rondon was a prime example... his ticket is already punched... why waste time with kids who are pulling hard to make 13s and are huge?

he has to put on size and wasting anymore time wrestling HS is not gonna help him at all in the long run...

he is doing the right thing...

I would assert that for the top 1% of wrestlers or teams in some states, the state tournmanet is a lesser tournament at the end of the year and not the climax. Take a kid wrestling at Ed's or Graham in Ohio for the last twenty years and ask them to name their toughest three tournaments/competitions and the state championships might not be in their top five. State titles are validation for some and just another day at the office for others.

I think we have been seeing the signs of this before kids get to high school for awhile at least in Ohio. Do you want to wrestle for your school or for your club. With the school you get two months of competition within a 60 mile radius of your school where you might get pushed 5% of the time or you go with your club and have a season twice as long, better practice partners and advanced technique, you wrestle every corner of the state and hit monthly or bimonthly national tournaments.  

11 minutes ago, LJB said:

mchenry is struggling in matches right now because he is too small... that match against rondon was a prime example... his ticket is already punched... why waste time with kids who are pulling hard to make 13s and are huge?

he has to put on size and wasting anymore time wrestling HS is not gonna help him at all in the long run...

he is doing the right thing...

This^

IMO, they need to lock him in a weight room and/or seek treatment from an Endocrinologist (if they haven't already done so).

Edited by gromit

I agree he def needs to bulk up for college. Be curious to see what he does this off season in freestyle along those lines. Compete at a higher weight as part of the bulking or does he compete at 110 or whatever it is to get some more world level hardware? 

or maybe no free at all and just working hard in the weight room and eating a lot 

McHenry is next year's Malik Heinselman.  Good wrestler.  Lot's of potential, just too darn small.  Put him up against Rayvon Foley next year and the same thing is gonna happen to what happened to Malik.   

But... let's break this down further.  

He isn't THAT good.  I would rather seem him downing protein shakes carbo-loading, and lifting like it's no one's business to get to 120/126 this year.  Is he going to Colorado Springs to finish things out?  A Regional Training Center?  

If he doesn't, this does nothing but hurts him.  Maybe after getting beat by a newcomer Sophomore he got a case of HEW?  

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

I agree he def needs to bulk up for college. Be curious to see what he does this off season in freestyle along those lines. Compete at a higher weight as part of the bulking or does he compete at 110 or whatever it is to get some more world level hardware? 

or maybe no free at all and just working hard in the weight room and eating a lot 

Pretty sure 110 is no longer a thing.  Thought maybe Kurt skipped last FS season to focus on his frame, but he didn't appear to gain any weight. 

McHenry is next year's Malik Heinselman.  Good wrestler.  Lot's of potential, just too darn small.  Put him up against Rayvon Foley next year and the same thing is gonna happen to what happened to Malik.   
He isn't THAT good.  I would rather seem him downing protein shakes carbo-loading, and lifting like it's no one's business to get to 120/126 this year.  Is he going to Colorado Springs to finish things out?  A Regional Training Center?  
If he doesn't, this does nothing but hurts him.  Maybe after getting beat by a newcomer Sophomore he got a case of HEW?  

It's a good thing that Michigan has a couple full sized quality 125's already on roster so that they won't have the feed McHenry to the wolves next year like Ryan is doing to Heinselman now.

Heinselman is burning a year of competition because of the Ohio State roster situation. Not because of overwhelming talent locked in an undersized body. If tOSU wasn't such a blackhole at 125 without MH in the lineup it's very likely that he would be given the chance to mature into the weight.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, treep2000 said:

There are definitely a lot of similarities... but McHenry is a class above Heinselman in terms of ability IMO.  I know he hasn't quite looked the same this year, but he's still a 2x cadet champ.  The kid is loaded with potential.  

16 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

There are definitely a lot of similarities... but McHenry is a class above Heinselman in terms of ability IMO.  I know he hasn't quite looked the same this year, but he's still a 2x cadet champ.  The kid is loaded with potential.  

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/malik-heinselman/

I dunno... I think they're pretty similar.  Granted... one has the actual Championship... but... Cadet success translating to Junior/Senior/NCAA success has been fraught with issues.  Junior success and Senior/NCAA success is much more closely correlated.  Basing only on Cadet is like saying that if you look at your girlfriend's mom, that's what she'll look like too in 20-25 years... sure... there's a relationship, but... 

26 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/malik-heinselman/

I dunno... I think they're pretty similar.  Granted... one has the actual Championship... but... Cadet success translating to Junior/Senior/NCAA success has been fraught with issues.  Junior success and Senior/NCAA success is much more closely correlated.  Basing only on Cadet is like saying that if you look at your girlfriend's mom, that's what she'll look like too in 20-25 years... sure... there's a relationship, but... 

I agree, similar, and maybe you're right, and McHenry's stock has fallen to the point where he's the same caliber.  

I just think he has a higher ceiling.  

There are definitely some red flags though... I mean, the guy was considered the #1 overall recruit for the better part of 2 years.  

4 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I agree, similar, and maybe you're right, and McHenry's stock has fallen to the point where he's the same caliber.  

I just think he has a higher ceiling.  

There are definitely some red flags though... I mean, the guy was considered the #1 overall recruit for the better part of 2 years.  

yeah... it's underfortunate... 

I think he has skill, absolutely.  It's just that I think he "peaked" at a very young age, and he is showing signs of either a.) regression, b.) stagnation, c.) everyone's catching up and passing him, or d.) a little of all of the above.  Michigan may regret bringing him on so early, and committing whatever scholly they committed.  I could see his stock take a big tumble.  If his academics are also trouble (which, I have no earthly clue if they are or not), then we may see another fizzle right before our eyes.  

I hope not, as I think him and Malik, as a Meechiganer and a Buckeye, represent a nice little mini-future-rivalry.

24 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

given the school he was attending and the fact that he finished up the HS requirements early, I'd be a little surprised if  academics are an issue at next level.  

Sure... but the same thing was said about other blue chippers that end up going Juco, NAIA, or D2/D3 prior to matriculation at the said D1 school.