Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Kurt McHenry

15 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Way too early to talk about Kurt not panning out in college. He is small and a bit emotionally immature, no question, but his talent is undeniable. If he still looks like Steve Urkel from Family Matters next year, I'm on board with that talk, but it is way too early. 

Just to be clear... Spencer "Freaking" Lee wasn't immune to this type of talk his senior year.  There was SO much fodder about how he was too small, and how winning worlds at 110lbs is so much less impressive than at 125lbs, and so on and so on.  The point is... if Spencer "Freaking" Lee wasn't immune to this type of debate, how in the heck can you rationalize that McHenry should be immune?  

10 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You're trying to rationalize that, not me, right?

I don't think McHenry is anything close to Lee, by the way. But I do think he could be bigger when he's fully grown.

no... not particularly... instead... I'm trying to say that Mchenry ought not be immune to our critique...

All things considered
As a Michigan fan
I like the idea of an extra 6 months in a college environment as opposed to an additional 6 months surrounded by High School mentality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

"

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

If his academics are also trouble (which, I have no earthly clue if they are or not), then we may see another fizzle right before our eyes. 

This exact hypothetical could be posed about literally every single recruit...Yet, it's not.  So what's different here?

The publicly stated/available information relevant to McHenry's education/academic abilities, from what I can tell, is:

a.) He attends a very academically competitive prep school (St. Paul's) who's most recent nationally ranked recruits matriculated to Princeton (Tsonga) and UPenn (Planta).

b.) He completed this prep school's graduation requirements a semester early.

c.) He'll attend one of the nations top academic universities next year (UMich). 

d.) And, his short list of universities consisted of UMich, Stanford, Cornell, UNC, and Penn State.

Literally every piece of education-relevant information publicly stated/available should be considered a very positive indicator of his academic abilities and yet he's the kid that prompts reckless message board postulation about whether "his academics are trouble..."? 

This board should stick to wrestling-- needlessly broaching questions about a kid's academic capabilities- especially without the slightest reason or impetus to- is irresponsible and potentially damaging.

3 hours ago, hbluejr said:

"

This exact hypothetical could be posed about literally every single recruit...Yet, it's not.  So what's different here?

The publicly stated/available information relevant to McHenry's education/academic abilities, from what I can tell, is:

a.) He attends a very academically competitive prep school (St. Paul's) who's most recent nationally ranked recruits matriculated to Princeton (Tsonga) and UPenn (Planta).

c.) He'll attend one of the nations top academic universities next year (UMich). 

d.) And, his short list of universities consisted of UMich, Stanford, Cornell, UNC, and Penn State.

Literally every piece of education-relevant information publicly stated/available should be considered a very positive indicator of his academic abilities and yet he's the kid that prompts reckless message board postulation about whether "his academics are trouble..."? 

This board should stick to wrestling-- needlessly broaching questions about a kid's academic capabilities- especially without the slightest reason or impetus to- is irresponsible and potentially damaging.

Not really... but... you keep being you.  Asking questions on a forum is simply that... relax Francis and find your safe zone.

10 hours ago, hbluejr said:

"

Solid first post, you his grandpa or something?

On 1/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, squeek said:

It's a good thing that Michigan has a couple full sized quality 125's already on roster so that they won't have the feed McHenry to the wolves next year like Ryan is doing to Heinselman now.

Heinselman is burning a year of competition because of the Ohio State roster situation. Not because of overwhelming talent locked in an undersized body. If tOSU wasn't such a blackhole at 125 without MH in the lineup it's very likely that he would be given the chance to mature into the weight.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Ouch!  But I agree.

12 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Ouch!  But I agree.

Have to disagree on this one.  What happens when he matures into the weight and still can't make the lineup in couple of years? That's a much more wasteful use of a year of competition.  

You wrestle him now because he's the best 125 on the roster.  Better dual results, better Big 10 results, and maybe he chips in with a couple of points at NCAA's.  The race for 2nd place is going to be razor close this year.  As an added bonus, he preserves his ability to redshirt down the road, when Ohio State might have a logjam at the lightweights.  

The only argument I can see against it is if you think it's going to hurt his development.  Without actually knowing the kid, it's impossible to make that determination, but he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.  

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Have to disagree on this one.  What happens when he matures into the weight and still can't make the lineup in couple of years? That's a much more wasteful use of a year of competition.  

You wrestle him now because he's the best 125 on the roster.  Better dual results, better Big 10 results, and maybe he chips in with a couple of points at NCAA's.  The race for 2nd place is going to be razor close this year.  As an added bonus, he preserves his ability to redshirt down the road, when Ohio State might have a logjam at the lightweights.  

The only argument I can see against it is if you think it's going to hurt his development.  Without actually knowing the kid, it's impossible to make that determination, but he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.  

I'm wishy washy on this one as I think your point is also valid.  But it's true that the Bucks have struggled over the years to develop 125 prospects.  

One advantage that McHenry should have at his disposal is that he qualifies for an Olympic Redshirt if he chooses.
I believe his Cadet World Championship is a qualifier.

That may help explain his early enrollment and starting his "clock"
Having that extra year of redshirt option was very beneficial when Micic used his to transfer from NW.

Getting McHenry on campus and in a lifting and nutrition plan early will only help his development.

As for Heinselman, he's got a challenging weekend coming up with Piotrowski and Rivera.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk