First off, kudos to the staff, wrestlers and all involved to get the program where it is today.  Hope this is viewed as constructive critique.

As a fan I want them to ascend higher in the B10 but with conduct, recruiting, etc have concerns if they are on the right path.  Agree, disagree?

Observations from matches over the weekend:

-prior to match OSU team on the mat, drilling, moving with purpose, Smith watching the entire time on side of mat

-prior to match RU coaches talking and mingling with those in the crowd, not all the team on the mat, most just wasting energy walking around in circles

-for Ashnault match skirmish at the end - Smith chewed out his kid not once as he came off the match, but another as he walked he away and called him back again ( I watched it)  He was major league pissed at him.  Goodale in his presser passes off Ashnault gun action as having fun, no big deal.

-Smith mentioned he likes coming up here because good for recruiting too.  Does RU recruit down there?

-Suriano showboating after win in WI match that 2 more days until the big match.  Both their top guys do this kind of crap.

I notice most other teams (coaches and wrestlers) in the B10 (especially those at the top) conduct themselves in a more professional and purposeful manner. 

Recruiting - who are they landing?  Need more than 2 AA's to be a real solid competitive team in the B10.  Ash was only signature recruit, Suriano they got lucky with.  Granted the studs who can go anywhere will be tough to keep home but how come solid AA's such as say a McFadden go elsewhere?  Why'd Lewis go to VT, Howard going to PSU?  RU needs like 5 AA's to get to next level. 

I’m a fan of all three NJ D1 teams (though Princeton has been the most fun to watch develop as of late).

Rutgers is doing fine and is in much better shape than a decade ago.  They have a similar dynamic as Rider- some solid in-state kids with the occasional blue chip.  They get knocked for the aggressive culture, but I think a lot of that is caused by reactions to overzealous fans on these boards.  Some of it is derserved:  the hands to the face with Retherford  last year and the Suriano self-hype leading to his loss this weekend were both bad looks.  

Ashnault is really fun to watch and I don’t think getting an extra year is worthy of criticism.  I expect Leeth to get one next year too.  I don’t care for the post-match gunslinging.

Suriano is one of the best in the country but he really needs more offense from his feet in these top matches.  He doesn’t do himself a lot of favors in interviews but he’s young.  I don’t blame people for rooting against him.

I feel strongly that Rutgers was much better situated in the EIWA than the big ten.  They can’t compete with most of the big ten schools and I think a realistic high-end goal is to be in the top 20 every year with occasional AAs and maybe a NC down the road.  I hope Pritzlaff becomes the head coach relatively soon.  As a program I don’t see them ever having reach far outside of NJ/PA. 

Looking for reasons to bash them. Come on. 

Warm ups - seriously? You don’t think Rutgers knows how to warm the team up well? 

You want Rutgers recruiting more in Oklahoma? Comparing Oklahoma recruiting to NJ is silly. Every team aggressively recruits in NJ. It is arguably the best state right now for recruits. 

Stop being the fun police. The younger generation (I’m a millennial, so us plus people even younger) are different than the guys some of the older fans grew up watching. It is a different culture. What ashnault did is totally fine. Suriano showboating after Wisconsin? You call that bad?

i don’t get it. Wrestling fans love bashing our own athletes for the worst reasons.

2 minutes ago, NJFAN said:

I’m a fan of all three NJ D1 teams (though Princeton has been the most fun to watch develop as of late).

Rutgers is doing fine and is in much better shape than a decade ago.  They have a similar dynamic as Rider- some solid in-state kids with the occasional blue chip.  They get knocked for the aggressive culture, but I think a lot of that is caused by reactions to overzealous fans on these boards.  Some of it is derserved:  the hands to the face with Retherford  last year and the Suriano self-hype leading to his loss this weekend were both bad looks.  

Ashnault is really fun to watch and I don’t think getting an extra year is worthy of criticism.  I expect Leeth to get one next year too.  I don’t care for the post-match gunslinging.

Suriano is one of the best in the country but he really needs more offense from his feet in these top matches.  He doesn’t do himself a lot of favors in interviews but he’s young.  I don’t blame people for rooting against him.

I feel strongly that Rutgers was much better situated in the EIWA than the big ten.  They can’t compete with most of the big ten schools and I think a realistic high-end goal is to be in the top 20 every year with occasional AAs and maybe a NC down the road.  I hope Pritzlaff becomes the head coach relatively soon.  As a program I don’t see them ever having reach far outside of NJ/PA. 

Rutgers May very well place top 10 this year. They have 2 guys in title contention. Why do you think they can “only” be a too 20 team consistently? What is holding them back?

1 hour ago, josephe said:

First off, kudos to the staff, wrestlers and all involved to get the program where it is today.  Hope this is viewed as constructive critique.

As a fan I want them to ascend higher in the B10 but with conduct, recruiting, etc have concerns if they are on the right path.  Agree, disagree?

Observations from matches over the weekend:

-prior to match OSU team on the mat, drilling, moving with purpose, Smith watching the entire time on side of mat

-prior to match RU coaches talking and mingling with those in the crowd, not all the team on the mat, most just wasting energy walking around in circles

-for Ashnault match skirmish at the end - Smith chewed out his kid not once as he came off the match, but another as he walked he away and called him back again ( I watched it)  He was major league pissed at him.  Goodale in his presser passes off Ashnault gun action as having fun, no big deal.

-Smith mentioned he likes coming up here because good for recruiting too.  Does RU recruit down there?

-Suriano showboating after win in WI match that 2 more days until the big match.  Both their top guys do this kind of crap.

I notice most other teams (coaches and wrestlers) in the B10 (especially those at the top) conduct themselves in a more professional and purposeful manner. 

Recruiting - who are they landing?  Need more than 2 AA's to be a real solid competitive team in the B10.  Ash was only signature recruit, Suriano they got lucky with.  Granted the studs who can go anywhere will be tough to keep home but how come solid AA's such as say a McFadden go elsewhere?  Why'd Lewis go to VT, Howard going to PSU?  RU needs like 5 AA's to get to next level. 

Spot on...the way I feel.    The inmates are running the asylum.

He lets them off because he needs them and needs his sweet salary.

2 minutes ago, tbert said:

who in the world, other than someone from New Jersey, would want to go there?   

Somebody who likes an urban atmosphere and wants to wrestle in the big 10.  You think NJ is a flyover state? :)

Just now, Plasmodium said:

Somebody who likes an urban atmosphere and wants to wrestle in the big 10.  You think NJ is a flyover state? :)

No, I just do not think with the reputation of the place there are very many, if any, out of state blue chippers that want to go to Rutgers.

they landed a real good kid out of Virginia of all places.

as for the post about being better suited for EIWA than Big Ten....maybe maybe not. They've definitely stepped up their game since joining the Big Ten 

it's been fun to watch Rutgers go from EIWA bottom dweller to a competitive top 20 team. I'm a big fan of their coaching staff and their wrestlers. I suppose when people see positive gains in places they are unfamiliar with they get defensive and their insecurities come out. For some reason Rutgers has been for a few years now a lightning rod for those insecure wrestling fans. 

But the truth is New Jersey remains a wealthy, vibrant state that also consistently produces quality high school wrestlers from nearly every county, which is reflected in the competitiveness of all three D1 garden state programs. 

You can nit pick and poke holes in Rutgers just like you can any program, and if that's what you enjoy doing then have fun I guess. seems like a miserable existence to me but as long as I don't have to live it, ya'll can go for it!

You have to appreciate, as a fan, what Rutgers has done.  I feel bad for Rider now because if you're a Jersey kid and want to stay home, why wouldn't you want to wrestle in the RAC(Princeton being Ivy is another story)!  So exciting of a place.  To add to that, they are starting to start a bit of tradition.  Ashnault and now Suriano and if they can bring a couple titles home in the next few years(which I think they'll do), it will only help.

Regarding Jersey attitude, its a New York/NJ thing.  I wrestled in NJ, NY and Pa and there are definitely differences in the attitudes but the Jersey/NY(mainly LI area) wrestlers are just a little cocky.  When you grow up with teammates from those areas,  you can't help but get a "kick" out of them.  Right now, alot of North Jersey kids are doing well and they seem to have that attitude.  Guys like Burroughs and Green grew up more in South Jersey and you normally see those kids as a little laid back.

1 hour ago, tbert said:

who in the world, other than someone from New Jersey, would want to go there?   

People from NJ don't want to go there either. That's the bigger problem. If Rutgers could dominate in-state recruiting they'd bet very good in wrestling (and in football and basketball, too). But no one in NJ grows up dreaming about going to Rutgers. They do get some of the top wrestling recruits (Suriano via transfer, Ashnault and Scott Winston). Winston was a bust. Suriano and Ashnault may work out.

The other odd thing about Rutgers: Why is it called "Rutgers" and not New Jersey University or University of NJ. 

I can't think of another state where the main state U does not have the name of the state in its name.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

The other odd thing about Rutgers: Why is it called "Rutgers" and not New Jersey University or University of NJ. 

I can't think of another state where the main state U does not have the name of the state in its name.

Well, its official name is Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, so technically, it does have the state's name in its name.

Also, the main state university in New York doesn't have the name of the state in its name...familiar with Cornell at all?

Just now, SetonHallPirate said:

Well, its official name is Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, so technically, it does have the state's name in its name.

Also, the main state university in New York doesn't have the name of the state in its name...familiar with Cornell at all?

Cornell is a private U with some state colleges within it. It's not the main state U. The State University of New York is the state U.

Also, I think "the State University of New Jersey" is a description, not part of its name. I could be wrong-- rare, but it happens-- but surely no one calls it that.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Cornell is a private U with some state colleges within it. It's not the main state U. The State University of New York is the state U.

Also, I think "the State University of New Jersey" is a description, not part of its name. I could be wrong-- rare, but it happens-- but surely no one calls it that.

Delete

Edited by NYWRESTLER94
Want it deleted

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

it's been fun to watch Rutgers go from EIWA bottom dweller to a competitive top 20 team. I'm a big fan of their coaching staff and their wrestlers. I suppose when people see positive gains in places they are unfamiliar with they get defensive and their insecurities come out. For some reason Rutgers has been for a few years now a lightning rod for those insecure wrestling fans. 

But the truth is New Jersey remains a wealthy, vibrant state that also consistently produces quality high school wrestlers from nearly every county, which is reflected in the competitiveness of all three D1 garden state programs. 

You can nit pick and poke holes in Rutgers just like you can any program, and if that's what you enjoy doing then have fun I guess. seems like a miserable existence to me but as long as I don't have to live it, ya'll can go for it!

I dont blame you for sticking up for their behavior,  your job  is also a dependent of them.   I also enjoyed watching them on the mat and getting better the last few years, on the mat only..  With the talent they have in New Jersey they should  be a minimum top 5 every year.   The only reason Goodale deserves any credit to the rise is the hiring of Donny.    I know Donny does not advocate the dirty unsportsmanlike behavior., tough hand fighting yes.  Showboating no... The reason they act like thugs is Goodale allows them to.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

From the university website, official name is Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey:

https://www.rutgers.edu/about

"Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 69,000 students and 23,400 full- and part-time faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world."

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

People from NJ don't want to go there either. That's the bigger problem. If Rutgers could dominate in-state recruiting they'd bet very good in wrestling (and in football and basketball, too). But no one in NJ grows up dreaming about going to Rutgers. They do get some of the top wrestling recruits (Suriano via transfer, Ashnault and Scott Winston). Winston was a bust. Suriano and Ashnault may work out.

They got a good class this year, because of Donny.  If the likes of Ashnault and Suriano would start representing the institution positively, maybe it would attract more NJ studs.   They have probably one of the top recruiters in college wrestling.   I actually like how their lineup is predominately NJ talent., not sure another program can say that.

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

From the university website, official name is Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey:

https://www.rutgers.edu/about

"Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 69,000 students and 23,400 full- and part-time faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world."

Yes, that's in the website, but it's still vague as to whether "The State University of New Jersey" is part of the name. The school was once called "Rutgers College" and only became a state school after WWII. There is also Rutgers-Newark instead of, say, University of New Jersey at Newark. 

The more fundamental problem is that people in NJ (New York, too) don't have the kind of state pride that makes them want to go to Rutgers (or SUNY). Most would rather go to a private college or even a state university in another state like Penn State or Michigan.

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

may work out? If they both never wrestled another match, they have already "worked out!"