Jump to content

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Bombermule said:

I was impressed with Nick in his post match interview, as I was after his NCAA interview.  There are times where he comes off as cocky (clearly is his confident and rightfully so), but I like that he gives the same access to Flo after losses and even after a controversial loss he was humble.  

He seems genuine. He has some quirks that people don't like, and any level of fame gets you haters, but I think a lot of the animosity in the wrestling community towards him comes from PSU fans who are understandably bitter. If I was a die hard PSU fan, I would also be a bit bitter about the whole situation. I'm actually glad he left because the 17/18 team race was amazing. With Nick, it would've been a blowout. 

Anyways, Nick seems like a good guy who is confident in himself but humble, respects his opponents and is an incredibly hard worker. He is going to do well in life, whether that is in MMA, wrestling, or real estate. I would hire someone like Nick in a heartbeat because I know he will work incredibly hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The name is the least of the problems, just saying it couldn’t hurt:

But LOL at putting Army, Navy and Boston College on that list.  The rest I believe are all private schools so thank you for agreeing that it’s weird for a public school to have a random name.

 

 

 

Purdue is a state school. So is Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Lock Haven, Clarion and George Mason. The Citadel is a state supported institution. There are plenty more state schools without the name of the state in their name that don't have wrestling programs or are not D1. This is also the first time I've heard anyone try to rag on Rutgers for not being called 'the University of New Jersey' or whatever. Based on the ignorant stereotypes some of yall have of the state you'd think you'd be applauding it as a smart marketing strategy, but the real reason is Rutgers started a private university during the colonial era and only gradually became the flagship state school, rather than being founded as land grant university like most big state schools outside of the northeast. Ironically Princeton, famous for not being a public school, started out life as "The College of New Jersey". 

OK, history lesson over, carry on with your nonsense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

 ... rather than being founded as land grant university like most big state schools outside of the northeast.

OK, history lesson over, carry on with your nonsense!

well now ... in general (although there are exceptions) only one land grant university was designated in each of those states and some of those universities had already been established before the Land Grant Act

so ... the history lesson is not over but there will be a quiz tomorrow  ;)

Edited by ionel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Purdue is a state school. So is Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Lock Haven, Clarion and George Mason. The Citadel is a state supported institution. There are plenty more state schools without the name of the state in their name that don't have wrestling programs or are not D1. This is also the first time I've heard anyone try to rag on Rutgers for not being called 'the University of New Jersey' or whatever. Based on the ignorant stereotypes some of yall have of the state you'd think you'd be applauding it as a smart marketing strategy, but the real reason is Rutgers started a private university during the colonial era and only gradually became the flagship state school, rather than being founded as land grant university like most big state schools outside of the northeast. Ironically Princeton, famous for not being a public school, started out life as "The College of New Jersey". 

OK, history lesson over, carry on with your nonsense!

 

OK I'll give you Purdue and George Mason, but neither of those are THE state university as Rutgers is.    But again, the argument for changing the name is to increase awareness.   I'm sure more people are aware of the University of Indiana and the University of Virginia than Purdue and George Mason. I won't give you the PA ones though because those are all towns.

"Trenton State College" rebranded itself as "The College of New Jersey" and I believe that has worked out well for them.

It's definitely not really an uncommon argument among New Jerseyans IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

 

OK I'll give you Purdue and George Mason, but neither of those are THE state university as Rutgers is.    But again, the argument for changing the name is to increase awareness.   I'm sure more people are aware of the University of Indiana and the University of Virginia than Purdue and George Mason. I won't give you the PA ones though because those are all towns.

"Trenton State College" rebranded itself as "The College of New Jersey" and I believe that has worked out well for them.

It's definitely not really an uncommon argument among New Jerseyans IMO.

Indiana University...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

Indiana University...

 

Exactly my point!  If stupid Americans can't even get Indiana University right instead of calling it University of Indiana, should we really expect everyone to know where George Mason is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Exactly my point!  If stupid Americans can't even get Indiana University right instead of calling it University of Indiana, should we really expect everyone to know where George Mason is?

ah ... George Mason located in the Stone Mountains and Rutgers in the Flanders region of Belgium, correct?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Purdue is a state school. So is Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Lock Haven, Clarion and George Mason. The Citadel is a state supported institution. There are plenty more state schools without the name of the state in their name that don't have wrestling programs or are not D1. This is also the first time I've heard anyone try to rag on Rutgers for not being called 'the University of New Jersey' or whatever. Based on the ignorant stereotypes some of yall have of the state you'd think you'd be applauding it as a smart marketing strategy, but the real reason is Rutgers started a private university during the colonial era and only gradually became the flagship state school, rather than being founded as land grant university like most big state schools outside of the northeast. Ironically Princeton, famous for not being a public school, started out life as "The College of New Jersey". 

OK, history lesson over, carry on with your nonsense!

 

I definitely agree a name change would do next to nothing for enrollment and recruiting, this has been an ongoing topic.  It isn't new.  I have heard it for a few years from Rutgers football fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jersey boys may be good wrestlers, but they seem as much like a bunch of street thugs.  Maybe smith did give Gfeller a verbal spanking after shoving ashnault, but ashnault had just won, and then did the pistol thing to rub it in.  That's not just good fun.  It's punk antics, and hardly represents much civility after an impressive win.  I'd be more concerned about cleaning up the street punk thing if I were a coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

 

I definitely agree a name change would do next to nothing for enrollment and recruiting, this has been an ongoing topic.  It isn't new.  I have heard it for a few years from Rutgers football fans.  

Nothing, or “next to” nothing?  Next to nothing might get them into the top 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe.   I suppose there are people in other places who have never heard of Rutgers.  Would a name change convince this type of recruit to consider this school?    I don't see it but there is a vocal group of local fans who swear it would help with recruiting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

Maybe.   I suppose there are people in other places who have never heard of Rutgers.  Would a name change convince this type of recruit to consider this school?    I don't see it but there is a vocal group of local fans who swear it would help with recruiting.  

For the record, I don’t know if it would.  But it couldn’t hurt.  Obviously a name change for such a large university would be extremely expensive though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

For the record, I don’t know if it would.  But it couldn’t hurt.  Obviously a name change for such a large university would be extremely expensive though.

The name will not, and should not, ever change.   It has been Queens College and then (Henry) Rutgers since 1766.   Unless "they" determine he was a racist, misogynist, confederate, toxic male the name is safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TFBJR said:

The name will not, and should not, ever change.   It has been Queens College and then (Henry) Rutgers since 1766.   Unless "they" determine he was a racist, misogynist, confederate, toxic male the name is safe.  

So it’s OK to rename it from Queens College, but not from Rutgers.  Got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 8:47 AM, TFBJR said:

The name will not, and should not, ever change.   It has been Queens College and then (Henry) Rutgers since 1766.   Unless "they" determine he was a racist, misogynist, confederate, toxic male the name is safe.  

"They" discovered that ole Henry Rutgers was a slaveholder so...

https://news.rutgers.edu/news-release/scarlet-and-black-slavery-and-dispossession-rutgers-history-brings-university’s-untold-story-out/20161117#.XEJ8XFxKiyI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel badly that mammals displaced reptiles. We need to put up commemorative markers and rename some college mascots. And what about the one cell organisms whose names are lost to history? Dump the euro-centric Scarlet Knight and adopt the inclusive Eukaryota.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×