Jimmy Cinnabon

Best wrestler to never win the Hodge?

One of Nolf or Nickal may be the answer after the conclusion of this season....

Note the Hodge trophy was first awarded in 1995 so anyone who wrestlers prior to 1995 need not be considered.

Edit: Or they could share it...it happened in 2001 when Cael and Nick Ackerman shared the Hodge.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Probably the winner...but if Nickal takes the Hodge I see Nolf as being slightly better than Ruth (assuming Nolf wins his 3rd title) based on dominance and bonus %.

Yea but this year's Hodge hasn't been awarded yet... If Nolf and Nickal both finish the season, whomever does not get the award certainly IMO be the best to never win it.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yea but this year's Hodge hasn't been awarded yet... If Nolf and Nickal both finish the season, whomever does not get the award certainly IMO be the best to never win it.

I disagree.  If Nolf wins the Hodge I think Ruth is above Nickal in terms of best to never win.  Nickal has significantly more losses in his career.

Guys... wording is everything here... the question is "Best Wrestler to Never Win the Hodge".  No more... no less... by definition, since 1995, there is no one "better" in terms of both collegiate and international, thusly "wrestler", that has not won the Hodge.  3x NCAA Champ.  1x 2nd Place.  2x World Champ.  Oly Champ.  World Silver.  

4 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Given the list here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hodge_Trophy

The "best" wrestler NEVER to win the Hodge, since 1995, is ABSOLUTELY Kyle Snyder.  Period.  There is no discussion.  

Freestyle results don't count/matter. He wrestled a limited schedule and lost his senior year. It's not Snyder.

They should strongly consider giving it to Both if the season ends with each dominating their respective weight class.  Both exemplify the spirit of the award - dominance, always working for the bonus, and good sportsmanship. 

I assume you mean "Who is the best NCAA wrestler since 1995 to never win the Hodge?" If so, I’d consider...

• Lincoln McIlravy
  • Joe Williams
  • TJ Williams
  • Eric Guerrero 
  • Stephen Abas
  • Greg Jones
  • Jake Rosholt
  • Jake Varner
  • Ed Ruth
  • J’Den Cox
  • Kyle Snyder
  • Jason Nolf
  • Bo Nickal
Edited by Katie

24 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Freestyle results don't count/matter. He wrestled a limited schedule and lost his senior year. It's not Snyder.

Again... that wasn't the question.  If we CHANGE the question, I agree with you.  But... that wasn't the question.  

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Who was the best Hodge contender to never win it?

Given the Wikipedia list, it does like Kyle as a contender, so same answer.  The point is... and yes... this is semantics, but the best collegiate wrestler never to win the Hodge is...

the best "overall" wrestler never to win the Hodge... that's Snyderman.

Just now, treep2000 said:

Given the Wikipedia list, it does like Kyle as a contender, so same answer.  The point is... and yes... this is semantics, but the best collegiate wrestler never to win the Hodge is...

the best "overall" wrestler never to win the Hodge... that's Snyderman.

I was rephrasing the question.

The Hodge is a college award so imo Snyder is pretty far down the list. Limited competitions and his bonus and dominance rate are low compared to others on the list. If international accomplishments were included he would be the frontrunner 
I guess being an age group champion is more prestigious than winning the Olympics. My bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk