Jimmy Cinnabon

Best wrestler to never win the Hodge?

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

The Hodge is a college award so imo Snyder is pretty far down the list. Limited competitions and his bonus and dominance rate are low compared to others on the list. If international accomplishments were included he would be the frontrunner 

Only a handful of wrestlers have won NCAA titles and world/Olympic titles in the same year. (I believe it’s Uetake, Kemp, Smith, Burroughs, and Snyder). I think that has to count for a sign of what level they had achieved as college athletes.  

Edited by Katie

26 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

I guess being an age group champion is more prestigious than winning the Olympics. My bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What does that even mean? My point is Snyder didn’t deserve to win the Hodge based on the criteria, his focus was more on international than college. The hodge is only based on the college season, If Snyder went all in for a college season than maybe he could have won.

30 minutes ago, Katie said:

Only a handful of wrestlers have won NCAA titles and world/Olympic titles in the same year. (I believe it’s Uetake, Kemp, Smith, Burroughs, and Snyder). I think that has to count for a sign of what level they had achieved as college athletes.  

Agreed, nobody said Snyder wasn’t and still is unbelievable my point is he didn’t compete enough in college to win the hodge.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Stephen Neal 1999 NCAA and World Freestyle Champion

Steven Abas.

Three Titles with the Outstanding Wrestler award at NCAA's each time to Cael Sanderson. Abas would have had at least one of them without Sanderson and the fourth Cael OW was more a Career Achievement Award. Well deserved but on strictly wrestling at the tournament others could have been named OW. Still, hard not to name a guy hitting that achievement as the top dog, no matter what.

Abas was amazing on the mat. We were all deprived when his injuries forced him to retire.

Edited by WillieBoy

28 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Steven Abas.

Three Titles with the Outstanding Wrestler award at NCAA's each time to Cael Sanderson. Abas would have had at least one of them without Sanderson and the fourth Cael OW was more a Career Achievement Award. Well deserved but on strictly wrestling at the tournament others could have been named OW. Still, hard not to name a guy hitting that achievement as the top dog, no matter what.

Abas was amazing on the mat. We were all deprived when his injuries forced him to retire.

Im a huge Stephen Abas fan but Cael's 4th OW award is far from just a career achievement award. Cael finished with a 97.5% bonus rate on the season and won his matches at NCAA by Fall, Fall, Tech, Major and Major.

Abas that season at NCAAs won 2-0, 11-1,8-4,14-5, and 8-4.

But I agree the he certainly is one of the best to not be awarded the Hodge.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

My nephew is a big wwe fan. He had a interview with Jim Ross playing the other day and they asked Jim who the biggest bad ass in pro wrestling was. This is the story Ross told.

But Hodge’s toughness and determination wasn’t just limited to athletics. He’s stared death in the face and lived to tell the tale. Hodge fell asleep at the wheel in early 1976 and drove his car off a bridge and into a lake. The crash broke the Oklahoman’s neck and shattered his teeth, but he still managed to punch his way through a window and swim to shore. Unbelievably, he made it to the side of the road, holding his neck in place with his bare hands, and flagged down help.

Folks, there is certain criteria for the Hodge Trophy and they are as follows:

The main criteria for the determining the most dominant wrestler are:
-record 
-number of pins 
-dominance
-quality of competition.
Secondary criteria are past credentials, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart which are used if the primary criteria are similar.

7 minutes ago, OfficialObserver said:

Folks, there is certain criteria for the Hodge Trophy and they are as follows:

The main criteria for the determining the most dominant wrestler are:
-record 
-number of pins 
-dominance
-quality of competition.
Secondary criteria are past credentials, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart which are used if the primary criteria are similar.

And the voters don’t follow these criteria.  Again, a D3 wrestler with multiple losses and an NAIA wrestler have both won.  These criteria can not be used to make a statistical, or even rational, prediction.

22 hours ago, Katie said:

I assume you mean "Who is the best NCAA wrestler since 1995 to never win the Hodge?" If so, I’d consider...

• Lincoln McIlravy
  • Joe Williams
  • TJ Williams
  • Eric Guerrero 
  • Stephen Abas
  • Greg Jones
  • Jake Rosholt
  • Jake Varner
  • Ed Ruth
  • J’Den Cox
  • Kyle Snyder
  • Jason Nolf
  • Bo Nickal

Lots of talent in this list.   I'm not proposing him as "the best" but Gwiz should be part of the general conversation as well in terms of guys who missed out due to the level of competition.  Two-time champ.  Three time finalist.  Four time AA.  And subsequently multi-World Medalist in freestyle.  

26 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

What are the details on why the chose to give it to two people in 2001? 

BTW, Stieber got it in 2015.  

Nick Ackerman was inflicted with spinal meningitis as a young boy and both legs had to be amputated below the knees to save his life. Yet by showing determination and courage which outstrips anything ever seen before in the 73-year history of NCAA wrestling, he won the 174-pound national championship at the Division III tournament in Waterloo, IA. And he did it by defeating defending national champion Nick Slack of Augsburg, who was riding a 60-match winning streak of his own!

46 minutes ago, WF89 said:

Cole Konrad and Jordan Oliver are among the best to never win.

Both had two undefeated seasons.  Konrad lost to Askren twice.  Oliver finished behind Burroughs and then Dake.  Many people don't realize that Olvier only lost 6 times in college. His junior year he had an impressive run of pins to start the season before losing to Ramos. 

Kolat and Mark Branch could be mentioned.  Branch was in the finals 4 times, but only had an undefeated season his senior year.  Kolat only lost 7 times and had a lot of falls, but only one undefeated season.  He had the career pin record at PSU when he transferred after only wrestling two seasons.  Coincidentally both of them had their undefeated seasons the same year, 1997 when McCoy won the award.  1997 was a deep Hodge field.  Branch, Ironside, Kolat, McCoy, and McIlravy were all undefeated.

I'd also throw Tommy Rowlands in there, but he never had an undefeated season.