Jimmy Cinnabon

Pick 1 wrestler from your team who embodies it

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I feel like some people are choosing current wrestlers even though it wasn't a stated condition....

DT is obviously the archetype for a modern PSU wrestler...

Marinelli is the a similar model for modern Iowa, already been said but its a great model, male pattern baldness and all.

Marinelli is 37 years old after all... 

It would be nice if it were Ash.  The program is still a work in progress, although they have been tenacious 2 years in a row vs. big-time programs (Iowa, Okie State), so hopefully they are getting the meanness required to compete at a high level. 

Edited by TFBJR

If we're talking including all wrestlers in the program's histories, I don't think there's been more of an Iowa prototype than Brent Metcalf.  Marinelli is a lesser version of that.

I also think David Taylor would be the platonic ideal for the Penn State coaches.

Minnesota:  Dustin Schlatter.  Hell, even his career arc is pretty emblematic of the program.

Iowa?  I think Tom Brands deserves some consideration.  He was relentless and composed (in the sense that he kept wrestling through everything).  He wrestled his style -- and had faith in that style -- from start to finish.  Brands vs. Joey Gilbert epitomizes this.  Fall behind early and just keep wrestling hard.  Go from being down 5-0 and fighting off a pin to winning 23-14.  

I think Tom's ability not to get rattled is what separates him from Terry and made him a more successful wrestler.  

2 minutes ago, headshuck said:

You realize he was injured most of his career right?

Yeah.  Where did I insinuate otherwise?  His style as a freshman is what I think of as Minnesota prototype.  Strong, good position, solid in all positions, stoic personality, not super athletic, etc.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Yeah.  Where did I insinuate otherwise?  His style as a freshman is what I think of as Minnesota prototype.  Strong, good position, solid in all positions, stoic personality, not super athletic, etc.

The comment on his arc.  I would have rather seen an upward one.

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

The comment on his arc.  I would have rather seen an upward one.

I didn't mean to blame the arc on any failing of his necessarily.  I just compared the overall arc to the State of the Minnesota program today.  ;)

Mizzou - Gotta go with Michael Chandler. He's not necessarily the most decorated, but IMO, embodies Mizzou's Tigerstyle. Not a big time recruit coming out of high school, never won a state title, walked on to the team, finished as a 4 time NCAA qualifier with an AA as a senior, and FWIW, currently fights for Bellator. I don't know how they do it, but Smith and Co. seem to take these low-to-mid tier guys and turn them into qualifiers/AAs year after year.