Jimmy Cinnabon

Pick 1 wrestler from your team who embodies it

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

If we're talking including all wrestlers in the program's histories, I don't think there's been more of an Iowa prototype than Brent Metcalf.  Marinelli is a lesser version of that.

I also think David Taylor would be the platonic ideal for the Penn State coaches.

Minnesota:  Dustin Schlatter.  Hell, even his career arc is pretty emblematic of the program.

Agreed.  I was going off of current wrestlers.  Metcalf, Brands, McIlravy, Ironside, Mike Zadick, and many more all epitomize Iowa Style.

Edited by Bombermule

The knee-jerk answer to this question for Cornell would be Kyle Dake, but I think his style is not entirely what at least I consider the  successful "Cornell Style" to be: 1) more technical than brutal; 2) overall well rounded in all positions; 3) intermittent aggressive high paced scoring bursts.

Based on this, current wrestler = Yianni, past wrestler = Travis Lee      

6 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

The knee-jerk answer to this question for Cornell would be Kyle Dake, but I think his style is not entirely what at least I consider the  successful "Cornell Style" to be: 1) more technical than brutal; 2) overall well rounded in all positions; 3) intermittent aggressive high paced scoring bursts.

Based on this, current wrestler = Yianni, past wrestler = Travis Lee      

Cam Simaz.  Solid, but not blue chip recruit.  Wrestles up to help the team and AA's.  Fills into 197 while improving at a rapid rate(went from getting manhandled by Hudson Taylor to beating him for 3rd as a soph). Clean cut and well spoken.

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Cam Simaz.  Solid, but not blue chip recruit.  Wrestles up to help the team and AA's.  Fills into 197 while improving at a rapid rate(went from getting manhandled by Hudson Taylor to beating him for 3rd as a soph). Clean cut and well spoken.

Good additions to the Cornell style. I was actually going to include Simaz along with Travis Lee. Also could put Dustin Manotti in there as well.

I'm not sure if there is a wrestler past or present on any team that embodies their team's style more than John Smith / OK State.

As for Russia, I actually like Tsargush as their embodiment: tactical, maximum technique, seems to have a natural feel for the sport, not afraid to use occasional cheap tactics to win, prone to being mentally broken.

27 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

I'm not sure if there is a wrestler past or present on any team that embodies their team's style more than John Smith / OK State.

As for Russia, I actually like Tsargush as their embodiment: tactical, maximum technique, seems to have a natural feel for the sport, not afraid to use occasional cheap tactics to win, prone to being mentally broken.

I use Smith as the model for OK State wrestling.  Which current wrestler matches that style the most?  I'd say Picc.  His build, motion, takedowns remind me the most of Smith.  Brock's motion on his feet is very similar to Smith's, but he doesn't have the defense.

6 hours ago, Griff the BullRam said:

Mizzou - Gotta go with Michael Chandler. He's not necessarily the most decorated, but IMO, embodies Mizzou's Tigerstyle. Not a big time recruit coming out of high school, never won a state title, walked on to the team, finished as a 4 time NCAA qualifier with an AA as a senior, and FWIW, currently fights for Bellator. I don't know how they do it, but Smith and Co. seem to take these low-to-mid tier guys and turn them into qualifiers/AAs year after year.

Chandler is a great example for sure, but what about Mark Ellis?  I'm not sure how highly recruited Drake Houdashelt was, but no one worked harder, was more consistent, and ultimately more successful.  4xConf Champ, 3xAA, National Champion.  Plus, Houdashelt was impossible to hold down, tenacious on top, and a scoring machine - as evidenced by his career most TF's.  

1 hour ago, tigerfan said:

Chandler is a great example for sure, but what about Mark Ellis?  I'm not sure how highly recruited Drake Houdashelt was, but no one worked harder, was more consistent, and ultimately more successful.  4xConf Champ, 3xAA, National Champion.  Plus, Houdashelt was impossible to hold down, tenacious on top, and a scoring machine - as evidenced by his career most TF's.  

I like Daniel Lewis as the face and embodiment of Mizzou wrestling —> quiet, hard-working, fundamentally sound, good student and person overall.  A very high caliber wrestler who is always in the hunt, it’s just there are always a few who are better - just like the Mizzou team.  

13 hours ago, Rhackler said:

Iowa?  I think Tom Brands deserves some consideration.  He was relentless and composed (in the sense that he kept wrestling through everything).  He wrestled his style -- and had faith in that style -- from start to finish.  Brands vs. Joey Gilbert epitomizes this.  Fall behind early and just keep wrestling hard.  Go from being down 5-0 and fighting off a pin to winning 23-14.  

Brands was buried and everyone knew it, the ref just wouldn't call it.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

For Nebraska I think of hard working, aggressive on the feet and good scrambling. As a team we usually tend to be in the top 10 mix, but have never quite put it all together to bring home a title.

Former wrestler: Robert Kokesh. One of the strongest hardest working guys to ever come through the program, 3X All-American, lost some real heart breakers at each of his NCAAs. (HM to Craig Brester and James Green, very similar stories)

Current wrestler: Tyler Berger. Seems to be on fire lately, but it'll be a tall order to take out Nolf this year. (HM to Isaiah White)

Edited by Giovanni

10 hours ago, Giovanni said:

For Nebraska I think of hard working, aggressive on the feet and good scrambling. As a team we usually tend to be in the top 10 mix, but have never quite put it all together to bring home a title.

Former wrestler: Robert Kokesh. One of the strongest hardest working guys to ever come through the program, 3X All-American, lost some real heart breakers at each of his NCAAs. (HM to Craig Brester and James Green, very similar stories)

Current wrestler: Tyler Berger. Seems to be on fire lately, but it'll be a tall order to take out Nolf this year. (HM to Isaiah White)

I think Mikey Labriola fits the mold too.

4 hours ago, Gantry said:

Kokesh is a great call, he was probably the best imo of that amazing class of 174 pounders who all pounded each other in the Big Ten - Kokesh, Matt Brown, Storley, Evans - but didn't get it done at NCAAs.  Really hard nosed...

I'm pretty sure Kokesh had the best record against the other 3 among them. Storley looked like he was going to win it all after his junior tournament but didn't perform his senior year against that group. 

OU doesn't have much of a personality this year. Dom Demas is their best wrestler, if that helps.

OSU...hmmm...Gotta run with Picc. He'll finish 3rd or 4th, probably, just like the Cowboys will.

Edited by TobusRex