TBar1977

Nebraska at Penn State

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

This doesn't make sense, I'm guessing:

a) flu, or

b) simply overated.

Everyone knows training at PSU is fun.  Tough and fun are not the same so see a & b above.  ;)

LOL. Nice try, but 1/10. 

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

This doesn't make sense, I'm guessing:

a) flu, or

b) simply overated.

Everyone knows training at PSU is fun.  Tough and fun are not the same so see a & b above.  ;)

The Motivated Athlete/s as most at PSU and other top schools are ALWAYS WANT Training to be as hard as possible, which is fun to them, The motivated athlete is always on a thin line with breaking down from illness/injury do to wanting to train as much as possible, sometimes they go over the line,  A big part of a coaches job is to keep them from doing too much and peaking at the right time.

Edited by dougb

7 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Definitely  B - They suck.  Most overrated team in history.  Mark my words.  Will only win the NCAA team tourney by 33 points. 

You can say that but there is a definite scenario where things get hairy out for PSU:

125 - Nothing happening

133 - Toughest weight, RBY will have tough competition early on

141 - Not a sure thing against top competition and could be upset (like last week)

149 - No bonus potential and is no guarantee to get to the round of 16

157 - No worries

165 - He's the favorite but he'll have to win more matches like today

174 - If he maintains his #1 seed should be at least good to the finals

184 - No idea how he'll do against top opposition

197 - No worries

HWT - He should be good but a big guy could always catch him and if he gets caught underneath he doesn't have the size to survive

Edited by buckshot1969

17 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Not really sure what the closeness of this match has to do with shak ducking. If it was venz that didnt show you guys would be quite vocal.

Finally, somebody took the words out of my mouth. I have no dog in the fight with any team, any ranked team, but if you don't think there's a problem with coaches holding guys out to protect seeds with just the slightest hint of an injury or any other excuse they deem reasonable, you're not watching the sport close enough. And that goes for every team that does it. Have you ever noticed that is the people with high rankings who tend to sit out a lot more? Before you say what about when so and so sat out, I didn't say only I said more often. You can say what you want but if you keep holding the stars out you're stunting the potential growth of the sport. And besides that is just ****ing chicken****. Now back to my scotch!

Ducking is annoying for fans. So as a fan, I propose the following:

Concentrate conference wrestling into a few super duals. 

Then have a few seeding tournaments, like conference tournaments, Midlands, Scuffle, etc. if you skip a seeding tournament, then you get a lower seed. 

23 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Finally, somebody took the words out of my mouth. I have no dog in the fight with any team, any ranked team, but if you don't think there's a problem with coaches holding guys out to protect seeds with just the slightest hint of an injury or any other excuse they deem reasonable, you're not watching the sport close enough. And that goes for every team that does it. Have you ever noticed that is the people with high rankings who tend to sit out a lot more? Before you say what about when so and so sat out, I didn't say only I said more often. You can say what you want but if you keep holding the stars out you're stunting the potential growth of the sport. And besides that is just ****ing chicken****. Now back to my scotch!

I couldnt have said it better myself......"coaches holding guys out to protect seeds"  YOU BET THEY ARE!   i.e  What happened to Sean Russell / Minnesota? Why did he not show up to wrestle Sebastian Riveria???  He's lucky he didnt because Riveria would have DESTROYED him. Just one mans opinion.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Sitting guys out is bad for the sport as a whole.

It would be nice if they had something better than Flo as well. Sport won't grow when neither PSU v Wisconsin or Nebraska isn't viewable to anyone beyond the hard core fans that are paying for a service. 

I wonder how many of today's guys could wrestle 150+ career matches like in the past. 

I couldnt have said it better myself......"coaches holding guys out to protect seeds"  YOU BET THEY ARE!   i.e  What happened to Sean Russell / Minnesota? Why did he not show up to wrestle Sebastian Riveria???  He's lucky he didnt because Riveria would have DESTROYED him. Just one mans opinion.

Minnesota was on a road trip and had to forfeit 125 on Friday vs Illinois and Sunday vs Northwestern. Didn’t bring a backup 125 lber which is odd.

11 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

It would be nice if they had something better than Flo as well. Sport won't grow when neither PSU v Wisconsin or Nebraska isn't viewable to anyone beyond the hard core fans that are paying for a service. 

Weak sauce argument. You pay for cable, direct TV or whatever service you have. You aren’t growing the sport by supporting the streaming serivce that has the product you would like to view. 

15 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I wonder how many of today's guys could wrestle 150+ career matches like in the past. 

If anything, FLO is saving you money by having the partnership with BTN. 

I dont recall FLO increasing their cost after announcing the partnership, and just because you have BTN on cable doesnt mean you get BTN+ material, which is ~$10/month

24 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Sport wont grow from the top. It needs to grow from the bottom... youth, junior high level.

Seeding tournaments, a push out rule, shot clocks, and de-emphasizing riding time would make folkstyle much better for fans  

But none of that will happen people the folkstyle establishment does not seem to make decisions with fans in mind 

9 minutes ago, Katie said:

Seeding tournaments, a push out rule, shot clocks, and de-emphasizing riding time would make folkstyle much better for fans  

But none of that will happen people the folkstyle establishment does not seem to make decisions with fans in mind 

The primary function of the rule makers is to make the sport a fair measure of wrestling ability. Making the sport entertaining fo fans is and always should be secondary. Wrestling is a sport primarily for its participants first, then its spectators second.

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The primary function of the rule makers is to make the sport a fair measure of wrestling ability. Making the sport entertaining fo fans is and always should be secondary. Wrestling is a sport primarily for its participants first, then its spectators second.

Of the fan-friendly reforms I propose, which one fails the participants?

personally, I think it’s unwise to ignore the fans’ experience. It could contribute to more programs being cut. 

Edited by Katie

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

Of the fan-friendly reforms I propose, which one fails the participants?

personally, I think it’s unwise to ignore the fans’ experience. It could contribute to more programs being cut. 

Never said they fail the participants. Just pointed out the emphasis on what fans want is not and should not be their priority.

Furthermore I'm not big on a shot clock. It enables the other wrestler to stall for 30 seconds. I'm enjoy riding time and was thoroughly impressed with Joseph today riding Lewis tough in the second period. I dont like the push out rule because it turns things into a sumo match. Finally seeding should be done at tournaments to keep the best wrestlers away from each other until later rounds. I disagree that these proposals will improve the sport.

If participation numbers rise over the years there will be more demand for more college programs. If started at the youth level it will trickle up and more people will understand folkstyle rules better, thus increasing the enjoyment.

The sport is no longer taught in school gym classes. That has to have an impact on participation and exposure at the youth level. 

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Never said they fail the participants. Just pointed out the emphasis on what fans want is not and should not be their priority.

Furthermore I'm not big on a shot clock. It enables the other wrestler to stall for 30 seconds. I'm enjoy riding time and was thoroughly impressed with Joseph today riding Lewis tough in the second period. I dont like the push out rule because it turns things into a sumo match. Finally seeding should be done at tournaments to keep the best wrestlers away from each other until later rounds. I disagree that these proposals will improve the sport.

The shot clock is designed to incentivize offense, and has actually done so in freestyle. 

The step out rule also encourages offense, and has actually done so in freestyle. 

Not sure what you’re talking in regard to seeding. I’d like to see seeding tournaments where results from those tournaments determine seeds at NCAAs. That would cut down on wrestlers ducking tough opponents during the season. 

Finally, I do not enjoy watching riding for the sake of riding. In my opinion, if there is no threat of back points, they should be stood up.

5 minutes ago, Katie said:

The shot clock is designed to incentivize offense, and has actually done so in freestyle. 

The step out rule also encourages offense, and has actually done so in freestyle. 

Not sure what you’re talking in regard to seeding. I’d like to see seeding tournaments where results from those tournaments determine seeds at NCAAs. That would cut down on wrestlers ducking tough opponents during the season. 

Finally, I do not enjoy watching riding for the sake of riding. In my opinion, if there is no threat of back points, they should be stood up.

Agree to disagree. Furthermore disagree that any changes like this will "grow the sport"

All those are elements of freestyle. We have freestyle. Enjoy it in freestyle season. Right now is folkstyle season and i enjoy it as it is right now.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Sport wont grow from the top. It needs to grow from the bottom... youth, junior high level.

I don't disagree but this is the same issue that the NHL has. Rules that are not easily understood by the casual observer, and no place to view for that person on a regular basis.