TBar1977

Nebraska at Penn State

3 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I don't disagree but this is the same issue that the NHL has. Rules that are not easily understood by the casual observer, and no place to view for that person on a regular basis.

True but hockey is a much simpler sport. Theres only 1 way to score and that's by putting the puck in the net. In wrestling theres a myriad of ways to score points making it more difficult for a random person to understand. Adding things like a shot clock in wrestling to me is similar to adding penalty shot in between periods based on which team had possession of the puck more during that period. Basically an artificial score.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

True but hockey is a much simpler sport. Theres only 1 way to score and that's by putting the puck in the net. In wrestling theres a myriad of ways to score points making it more difficult for a random person to understand. Adding things like a shot clock in wrestling to me is similar to adding penalty shot in between periods based on which team had possession of the puck more during that period. Basically an artificial score.

Before you didn’t seem to care about fans’ experience. Now you do? (I’m not sure I’m understanding you right.)

also, how is a shot clock more “artificial” than a stalling point?

Edited by Katie

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

Before you didn’t seem to care about fans’ experience. Now you do? (I’m not sure I’m understanding you right.)

also, how is a shot clock more “artificial” than a stalling point?

I dont. I'm simply pointing out that hockey is easier for a fan to understand than wrestling.

With a shot clock if one guy is put on the clock and doesnt score, the other guy gets a point. It enables the defensive guy to stall outright for those 30 seconds. If the offensive guy fails to score a td the defensive guy gets a point. That's artificial in my opinion.

As for wrestling I enjoy watching it in it's current iteration because I can vicariously relate to what the wrestlers on the mat are feeling. I remember trying to ride a tough opponent on bottom. I remember the feeling of being on bottom trying to get out. When I see a wrestler going specifically for a riding time point I feel excited because I felt that as well back in my day.

Non wrestling people dont understand what it feels like to wrestle a match therefor wont understand the value of a riding point.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Seeding tournaments, a push out rule, shot clocks, and de-emphasizing riding time would make folkstyle much better for fans  

But none of that will happen people the folkstyle establishment does not seem to make decisions with fans in mind 

Katie, don't forget the 2 point almost-a-takedown.  The best thing about freestyle is that there are always lots of empty seats so I can stretch my legs out.

1 minute ago, Boompa said:

Which is dying as we speak.

Exactly. We need more people who are willing to introduce and coach at the youth level. Most kids coming out of college want to coach at the high school level becuase it's more exciting and gets more recognition. More people need to be willing to get in the trenches and coach at the most basic level.

Kids dont become fans of Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Snyder before they ever wrestle. Its after they start wrestling they discover who these people are. So get as many youth kids to wrestle and that will grow the sport.

9 minutes ago, jammen said:

Katie, don't forget the 2 point almost-a-takedown.  The best thing about freestyle is that there are always lots of empty seats so I can stretch my legs out.

Yea try explaining "correct throw" to a non-wrestling person. That'll for sure impress them.

14 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yea try explaining "correct throw" to a non-wrestling person. That'll for sure impress them.

I don’t recall saying I wanted to replace folkstyle with freestyle. 

But if we’re talking about fans, there are far more freestyle fans worldwide than folkstyle fans. 

Edited by Katie

I can't speak for any other programs, but I know the Mizzou program fairly intimately.  The coaches would NEVER sit a healthy wrestler to protect a seed.  That said, at what point after Nov 1 is any starter truly healthy?  The bottom line is only one thing matters, and that's March.  Everything else is purely preparation.  Sometimes match experience is the best prep, but sometimes, for various reasons, resting/not making weight is the best prep.  I hate to resurrect this horse, but as long as there is no National Championship associated with dual meets, they will remain just another form of practice for the big show in March.  Those crying about ducking are in some cases the same ones reluctant to remove the team championship from the individual tourney and add a true team dual championship instead.  The two beliefs are incongruent.  March is all that matters, fans be damned. 

I would bet that every coach is completely focused on preparing each and every wrestler to perform at his peak in March.  Sometimes that means wrestling tough competition, sometimes it might mean I night off against a particularly tough opponent.  The prospective seeding has very little, if any, to do with such decisions. All this ducking talk is kinda ridiculous, honestly.

36 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

There are far more soccer fans than football fans worldwide.

And soccer in the US has a league where the average team value is $240 million. How does folkstyle compare?

21 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

I can't speak for any other programs, but I know the Mizzou program fairly intimately.  The coaches would NEVER sit a healthy wrestler to protect a seed.  That said, at what point after Nov 1 is any starter truly healthy?  The bottom line is only one thing matters, and that's March.  Everything else is purely preparation.  Sometimes match experience is the best prep, but sometimes, for various reasons, resting/not making weight is the best prep.  I hate to resurrect this horse, but as long as there is no National Championship associated with dual meets, they will remain just another form of practice for the big show in March.  Those crying about ducking are in some cases the same ones reluctant to remove the team championship from the individual tourney and add a true team dual championship instead.  The two beliefs are incongruent.  March is all that matters, fans be damned. 

I would bet that every coach is completely focused on preparing each and every wrestler to perform at his peak in March.  Sometimes that means wrestling tough competition, sometimes it might mean I night off against a particularly tough opponent.  The prospective seeding has very little, if any, to do with such decisions. All this ducking talk is kinda ridiculous, honestly.

I’m not saying any coach is doing anything wrong, given the current system.

I’m saying it sucks for fans when a top wrestler sits out a match against another tough wrestler. 

Who wants to see a top- ten wrestler against a smaller backup?

2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

What is the average value of any wrestling team world wide? 

Why dont you tell me?  I believe there are pro leagues in Germany, India, and Iran. 

Just now, Katie said:

I’m not saying any coach is doing anything wrong, given the current system.

I’m saying it sucks for fans when a top wrestler sits out a match against another tough wrestler. 

Who wants to see a top- ten wrestler against a smaller backup?

That's not what you said. You said you wanted folk to implement new scoring system and gave examples that are lifted directly from freestyle.

I think everyone agrees that it sucks when a top level guy sits out.

10 minutes ago, Katie said:

Why dont you tell me?  I believe there are pro leagues in Germany, India, and Iran. 

No clue. You're the one bringing up monetary values of teams.

You said free is more popular than folk worldwide, which is true.

I replied that soccer is more popular than football worldwide which is also true.

If your point is that theres more money put into soccer world wide than wrestling I would say "yea no duh." considering it's the most popular sport in the world. But I never tried to compare wrestling to soccer. By bringing up how much soccer teams are worth vs wrestling teams, you did.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

7 hours ago, HuskerMac said:

Cant Believe Cenzo ran for the last minute in the 3rd without a stall call. Or The crap stall calls on Red.

Cenzo is literally within the blue Lion Logo in the center of the mat for all but about 6 or 7 seconds out of the final minute. Literally. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261478-nebraska-vs-penn-state-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6328786

As for the Lee - Red match, the stall calls came this way. Period 2 Lee stands at 23 seconds left, the count doesn't even start until 19 seconds left, the point is awarded at 11 seconds left. 12 seconds of standing time elapsed before Red got pointed. In period 3 Lee stood at 54 seconds left and Red makes no return attempt when at 48 seconds left he is again pointed. 8 seconds.

Now, contrast that with Lee starting from top in period 3. Once Red gets to his feet and 5 seconds elapse with the one official not having even started his count, Lee simply cuts him. Lee operated within the rule, Red did not and gave up the points instead. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261478-nebraska-vs-penn-state-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6328792

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Cenzo is literally within the blue Lion Logo in the center of the mat for all but about 6 or 7 seconds out of the final minute. Literally. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261478-nebraska-vs-penn-state-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6328786

As for the Lee - Red match, the stall calls came this way. Period 2 Lee stands at 23 seconds left, the count doesn't even start until 19 seconds left, the point is awarded at 11 seconds left. 12 seconds of standing time elapsed before Red got pointed. In period 3 Lee stood at 54 seconds left and Red makes no return attempt when at 48 seconds left he is again pointed. 8 seconds.

Now, contrast that with Lee starting from top in period 3. Once Red gets to his feet and 5 seconds elapse with the one official not having even started his count, Lee simply cuts him. Lee operated within the rule, Red did not and gave up the points instead. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261478-nebraska-vs-penn-state-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6328792

I guess we see things differently.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:37 AM, HuskerMac said:

Whelp as a Husker Fan,

125-  I would hope this goes Moisey but who knows, hes been up and down all year plus, I hope he can just make weight. If he does. He wins   3-0 NU

133- RBY I has been looking good and will most likely win but Nebraska just burned the RS of Jevon Parrish ( who I think will wrestle) so this could be closer than people think.  I think it will be a good match but ultimately will go to PSU  3-3

141- Would be nice to have Red wrestling like he was at Nationals last year. But he hasn't been close to form this year. If he does Red wins this one. 6-3 NU

149- It doesn't matter who PSU puts here at 149. Nebraska hasn't has a good 149 for awhile. Bonus points for PSU 7-6 PSU

157- Berger has been wrestling his best this year. Smart, controlled wrestling but Nolf is on another level. With a similar opponent in Deakin. One throwing him around like a rag-doll, the other by a 2 TDs in the 3rd, this one goes to Nolf. Probably 7-3.     10-6 PSU

165- In my personal opinion, I like White and If Cenzo goes I still think White wins. Now BIGS ans NCAAs are a different story.  10-9 PSU

174- Labs is gonna be good. and I think he is going to own this class once Hall and Valencia are gone. But at this moment Hall is too much. Bonus Points for Hall 14-9 PSU

184- OK this match is gonna be the best match of the Dual. Venz  is a beast and could win in a close match or get a pin. For now Ill call it just a decision. 14-12 PSU 

197. Nickle, PIN. If not, then a Tech. Schulz is good. Not Nickle good tho. Ill go with pin.  20-12 PSU

285- Jensen will probably lose in a decision but could be a major or tech.. 25-12 PSU 

All in all could be bad, Could be Closer. But all in all PSU wins, just a matter of how much. 

Well I wasn't to far off.

125 PSU weakest spot. Moisey wrestled well and took care of business 3-0 NU

133- RBY is good. Like really good and will run this weight soon. I was hoping for a better performance from Parrish but hes young and wrestling at Penn State is a beast in itself.  4-3 PSU

141- I liked seeing  Red wrestle well again. Lee wrestled better. I have my own opinions on the stall calls so I'll leave it at that.  7-3 PSU

149- I was really happy at this weight. Alot better than I thought it was gonna be. I still think NU doesn't have a good 149 10-3 PSU

157- Berger went back to his old style from last year. Not attacking and just reacting.  Maybe that's the Nolf affect? Preview of the NCAA finals???? Hopefully a better showing next time. 13-3 PSU

165- White will get Cenzo.........eventually.... Their matches have been close the last 2 times. One in OT and the other by 2 points and no TDs 16-3 PSU

174- Labs wrestled VERY WELL. Really  cementing my thought that he will run this weight in the next few seasons. Hall just too much.19-3 PSU

184- DUCK DUCK GOOOSE.......Venz took care of business, not as dominate as I thought it was going to be. Here is to wishing Rasheed a quick recovery from his "Venzitious" 19-6 PSU

197- The score was close but this match wasn't. Nickle is top dog for good reason.  22-6 PSU

285- Out matched.   25-6 PSU 

I wasn't expecting a win from this dual. PSU is just outstanding but I was hoping for a W at 141,165, 285

Nebraska is looking good tho. Here's to hoping to a Top 5 at Nationals and maybe a Champ or 2.

I like homers and your predictions were pretty good but not seeing your Champ or 2 call?  Unless Nolf gets hurt, you guys have little chance of even one in the finals.  I did think Red wrestled pretty well and did not completely agree with the stalling calls(although TBar analyzed it better than me); Pa Boy Labriola showed he will be a force to reckon with in the near future(never had a doubt though that Hall would win it); don't think White will ever beat Joseph; and Venz didn't overly impress against an undersized opponent.

I  thought your 149 lbr competed well against Berge who was a blue chip prospect and think he will come along nicely.

It's really a great idea to mandate the sick, injured or even overtrained to wrestle in order to grow the sport and serve our viewing pleasure.

And what about medical red shirts ... ducking for an entire year is unconscionable. Take the example of knee injuries. What a crock. Did you hear Anthony Robles sniveling about wrestling on one leg? Hell no. Does a non-functioning ACL really inhibit performance? Anthony just sucked it up and got it done. Yanni got it done on a partial. Nolf's a wimp (he had good Gumby ACLs the whole time) because he ducked matches just to be fresh for NCAAs but proved one needs only one good leg later. Are you paying attention Stoll, you tinyass lightweight?

Hurt an arm? Use the other one. Back a little sore? So is mine and I still have to shovel my driveway you snowflake prima donna whiners.

And pay no attention to those old guys with metallic joints. They were weak to begin with and don't deserve our respect. Besides if you've watched the six million dollar man or RoboCop you know that artificial parts are performance enhancing so nothing to see here.

Let's deduct team points if the team's #1 ducks! And in Shakur's case it's clear he has the acting skills to fake injury or illness.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157071669505719&id=77269230718

Do away with concussion protocol ... That really disrupts match pace. And injury time out, what viewer can endure these? I bet thousands of first time watching newbies walked out to the kitchen to make a sandwich and never returned because some nambie pambie needed a breather. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because those guys never fake injuries. They know how to grow a sport! Lots of scoring and no injuries!

Keep up the good work and thoughful discussion! God all us non-participants are tough. Is everyone from New Jersey?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Husker, you made me second guess what I saw about the Red stall calls. But I just went back and watched it. 2 of the 3 stall calls were automatic because he dropped to a leg for the 5 count. Those aren’t debatable. The last one was a bit quick but  Lee was standing for 5 seconds without an attempt to return. So that one could be debatable but I would be on the side of it’s within the normal standard. 

47 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

It's really a great idea to mandate the sick, injured or even overtrained to wrestle in order to grow the sport and serve our viewing pleasure.

And what about medical red shirts ... ducking for an entire year is unconscionable. Take the example of knee injuries. What a crock. Did you hear Anthony Robles sniveling about wrestling on one leg? Hell no. Does a non-functioning ACL really inhibit performance? Anthony just sucked it up and got it done. Yanni got it done on a partial. Nolf's a wimp (he had good Gumby ACLs the whole time) because he ducked matches just to be fresh for NCAAs but proved one needs only one good leg later. Are you paying attention Stoll, you tinyass lightweight?

Hurt an arm? Use the other one. Back a little sore? So is mine and I still have to shovel my driveway you snowflake prima donna whiners.

And pay no attention to those old guys with metallic joints. They were weak to begin with and don't deserve our respect. Besides if you've watched the six million dollar man or RoboCop you know that artificial parts are performance enhancing so nothing to see here.

Let's deduct team points if the team's #1 ducks! And in Shakur's case it's clear he has the acting skills to fake injury or illness.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157071669505719&id=77269230718

Do away with concussion protocol ... That really disrupts match pace. And injury time out, what viewer can endure these? I bet thousands of first time watching newbies walked out to the kitchen to make a sandwich and never returned because some nambie pambie needed a breather. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world because those guys never fake injuries. They know how to grow a sport! Lots of scoring and no injuries!

Keep up the good work and thoughful discussion! God all us non-participants are tough. Is everyone from New Jersey?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

So you don’t think it was a duck?  Lol