Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

Who is college wrestling's top heel in 2019?

Who is college wrestling's top heel?   

96 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is college wrestling's top heel in 2019?

    • Gable Steveson
      22
    • Anthony Ashnault
      1
    • Nick Suriano
      3
    • Bo Nickal
      4
    • Austin DeSanto
      64
    • Other
      2

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 03/24/2019 at 10:41 PM

Recommended Posts

Why do people constantly whine about the brands brothers 

Because they are little a$$holes that whine about stalling every 5 seconds during a match. Their behavior shows through their fans and wrestlers. You can dominate another guy in wrestling without being a prick about it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krippler said:


Because they are little a$$holes that whine about stalling every 5 seconds during a match. Their behavior shows through their fans and wrestlers. You can dominate another guy in wrestling without being a prick about it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all begins with the idea they can’t stay in their corner and off the wrestling area. 

 

I recall tom brands yelling at the head ref table at nationals. When he left they all started laughing like watching clowns at the circus. 

Edited by scribe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can’t remember if it was askren or Hendricks who said they went on wrestling forums all the time to read about all of the negative comments their behavior drew. 

Askren just made me laugh. At National Duals He pinned Herrington from Penn and celebrated I think with an alligator clap towards Zeke Jones. He then quickly pinned someone from OK St and galloped around the ring with his pretend horse and lasso looking at John Smith the whole time. Funniest thing I have ever seen in wrestling


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krippler said:


So the 5 things he did at the end of the match Sunday are normal behavior in your mind?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see that match nor have I seen "outrage" or massive discussions on the forums... so... cannot comment... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scribe said:

Who is wrestling’s all time greatest heel?

Easy.  Hendricks.  

  1. He was on a championship team which makes him easier to hate by other fans.  
  2. He blew matches he shouldn't have and always seemed to waste a bit of his talent even as great as he was. This gives him a little anti-hero and gave fans who rooted against him hope that he'd lose.  His measure of greatness was not the automatic and reliable kind.
  3. He won a referee aided match (maybe THE ref aided match).
  4. He loved being the heel and played it up.
  5. After the Churella match he draped himself in an OSU flag and took a slow victory lap around the arena and then led a Pistol Pete chant with the huge OSU crowd, and he did all that during the 157 awards ceremony. 

Nobody comes close as a heel, and he is without a doubt my favorite college wrestler ever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, krippler said:


So the 5 things he did at the end of the match Sunday are normal behavior in your mind?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

They were certainly unsportsmanlike, but are not at all comparable to the Micic match last year.   For the record, really only 2 things were bad on Sunday - the spitting and throat slash.  Weak handshakes, trash talk and face mushes are fairly common, and he stopped the face mush as soon as the whistle blew.   Even the Tucker match last year, while bad, is something I've seen other people do.

I think he should've gotten a flagrant misconduct after the Micic incident and been booted from NCAA's, but to say that Iowa shouldn't have accepted him as a student seems to be a bit much.

I do think Desanto's actions have been worse than Steveson's this year though.   The difference is that what Steveson does seems to be a conscious choice which ups the dbag factor IMO.   What Desanto does seems to be more in the heat of the moment, so he's more unpredictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you imagine a basketball player winning an important game with a late three pointer, and then being expected to act like he did nothing more than put his clothes in the drier? That's basically where folkstyle is.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Katie said:

Can you imagine a basketball player winning an important game with a late three pointer, and then being expected to act like he did nothing more than put his clothes in the drier? That's basically where folkstyle is.

Can you imagine a basketball player of a major program winning an important game with a late three pointer - spit on the home team's logo at center court, do a throat slash and jaw in the opposing team's face after winning? 

If someone on Duke did that, it would be national news. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Can you imagine a basketball player of a major program winning an important game with a late three pointer - spit on the home team's logo at center court, do a throat slash and jaw in the opposing team's face after winning? 

If someone on Duke did that, it would be national news. 

 

Zion Williamson celebrates plenty, just not in a douchey way. I think he actually enjoys playing basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Katie said:

Zion Williamson celebrates plenty, just not in a douchey way. I think he actually enjoys playing basketball.

But somehow the majority doesn't need to bring attention to themselves when they do something good in sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katie said:

Can you imagine a basketball player winning an important game with a late three pointer, and then being expected to act like he did nothing more than put his clothes in the drier? That's basically where folkstyle is.

DeSanto and the throat slash is just like Mayfield planting the flag at tOSU and that got tons of angry media coverage.  

College wrestlers flex, run, jump, pick up their coach, get picked up by coach, run to mom in the stands, and enact 100 other celebrations without anyone really minding.  It's only when they celebrate at their defeated opponent that anybody minds.  This is identical to all other sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boconnell said:

DeSanto and the throat slash is just like Mayfield planting the flag at tOSU and that got tons of angry media coverage.  

College wrestlers flex, run, jump, pick up their coach, get picked up by coach, run to mom in the stands, and enact 100 other celebrations without anyone really minding.  It's only when they celebrate at their defeated opponent that anybody minds.  This is identical to all other sports. 

You know that some fans will criticize any sort of celebration that does not follow a championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Katie said:

I think Rutgers should only recruit heels. It should be their thing. Maybe they could become an MMA-fighter factory. 

 

Only heels graduate from NJ, right? So you are suggesting they stick with only local kids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, scribe said:

I can’t remember if it was askren or Hendricks who said they went on wrestling forums all the time to read about all of the negative comments their behavior drew. 

 

Must've been Hendricks, not sure Askren has learned how to read/write yet....

 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Designed to denigrate so not cool.

Tons of people in this thread disagree.  Tons of people also feel like being a heel is not a denigration. 

A true heel really enjoys being rooted against, and recognizing that is absolutely not an insult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×