Sign in to follow this  
tommytechnique

Experimental NCAA dual meet match order: The Citadel vs. Gardner Webb

15 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

interesting.  I don't know what this would do though considering teams don't really seem to prioritize winning duals.  It seems like change for the sake of change that might even make things more confusing for all but the most attentive fans.  

This will make duals more exciting. 

For as much as the “duals don’t matter” rhetoric has been used, that phrase is inaccurate. Teams prioritize NCAAs over duals for sure, but teams do care about winning and losing. The phrase needs a bunch of caveats to be accurate. 

We are breaking attendance records all over the place. Rutgers has been averaging over 5,000 fans per dual this year. Fresno State broke a bunch of records last year. PSU and Iowa sell out every single home dual. 

The teams care about duals because of $ for the program, awareness/internal politics at the school, recruiting, boosters, and because it’s fun for the wrestlers and coaches!

So we let the coach who wins the coin flip decide the first match.

Then - just before it starts a lucky fan from the audience comes matside and does a Ball Grab to decide the second match. Same thing, start of each match until the final.

No one knows the order ahead of time but the first weight class and it gets fans involved in the process. Maybe they can do a betting pool or such on which match will come up next with the ball grab by the fan - and use it as a money maker?

Even more, One weight each team can designate two wrestlers and one can Tag Team for the other to come in and take over as long as they can TAG on the edge of the mat?

Make it exciting, make it easier for bettors and bookies to get involved. Make more money...

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

We are breaking attendance records all over the place. Rutgers has been averaging over 5,000 fans per dual this year. Fresno State broke a bunch of records last year. PSU and Iowa sell out every single home dual. 

Breaking attendance records is great but is it evidence that the duals matter as much as they are promoted and made to be more entertaining?  I guess we would have to clarify what we mean by matter.  I suppose you are absolutely right but that doesn't mean I am wrong. I'm not trying to be clever with semantics either.  I agree with you based on what you posted above.  

The teams care about duals because of $ for the program, awareness/internal politics at the school, recruiting, boosters, and because it’s fun for the wrestlers and coaches!

I think this is more or less true too.  

For as much as the “duals don’t matter” rhetoric has been used, that phrase is inaccurate. Teams prioritize NCAAs over duals for sure, but teams do care about winning and losing. The phrase needs a bunch of caveats to be accurate. 

I didn't imply teams don't care.  Nevertheless, there is a lot of evidence that teams care less than they do in other sports about the regular season and that they possibly/arguably care less than they did in the past within this sport about it.  I wasn't looking for a national duals debate.  You are right, saying that they don't matter is an overgeneralization and an exaggeration.  I guess it would be more accurate to say they matter less than they could.   If coaches are prioritizing individuals preparation for the end of the season over winning dual meets (which makes perfect sense), I am not sure flip flopping weights which may or may not have starters on the mat makes duals any more interesting and might even make it confusing to fans.  When I said matter, I meant it in the context of winning and losing as a team.  Nevertheless, that is not an all inclusive perspective and I stand corrected.