Katie

Steveson workout video

Here's an interesting tweet from Minnesota wrestling's Twitter feed, which shows Steveson working out with Brock Lesnar: Link

As a big man who is also an uber athlete, I think Steveson has options in the future. Will he be a freestyler for life? Will he eventually pursue MMA? Will he attempt to make an NFL team (like Neal)?

Edited by Katie

NFL? Wouldn't he be (as big as he is) too small to play the line and unlikely to be fast enough to play anywhere else?

We heard that J'den Cox was interested in playing football for Missouri and that Coon wanted an NFL career. Neither seems likely at this point. 

Query: Who was the last wrestler to transition to the NFL?

Bonus Query: Has any non-heavyweight wrestler ever made the NFL?

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

NFL? Wouldn't he be (as big as he is) too small to play the line and unlikely to be fast enough to play anywhere else?

We heard that J'den Cox was interested in playing football for Missouri and that Coon wanted an NFL career. Neither seems likely at this point. 

Didn’t Trice make a practice squad??

wellAt 197lbs you'd be a skill player in the NFL, and that requires, well, NFL skills. You don't acquire those skills at wrestling practice no matter how athletically gifted you are. 

Edited by TBar1977

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Eddie Meyers (EIWA 3rd at 190lbs for Navy) came very close.  He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons but his service commitment kept him from playing.  here's an article about him

45 minutes ago, NJDan said:

By “wrestler,” do you mean someone that wrestled NCAA D1?

Can’t think of any right now, but that did remind me of Ryan Goodman who wrestled and played football at Nebraska and NC State and was a 2X ACC champ.  Looks like he is now a football coach at Coastal Carolina.

Heres also a cool article about Carlton Haselrig, who won 6 NCAA titles (3 D1 and 3 D2) and seems to be the reason D3 and D2 wrestlers aren’t allowed st D1 NCAA’s anymore, then played in the NFL - http://www.ncaa.org/champion/6-time-ncaa-wrestling-champ-jumped-nfl-having-never-played-college-download

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

By “wrestler,” do you mean someone that wrestled NCAA D1?

Can’t think of any right now, but that did remind me of Ryan Goodman who wrestled and played football at Nebraska and NC State and was a 2X ACC champ.  Looks like he is now a football coach at Coastal Carolina.

Heres also a cool article about Carlton Haselrig, who won 6 NCAA titles (3 D1 and 3 D2) and seems to be the reason D3 and D2 wrestlers aren’t allowed st D1 NCAA’s anymore, then played in the NFL - http://www.ncaa.org/champion/6-time-ncaa-wrestling-champ-jumped-nfl-having-never-played-college-download

Haselrig is a unicorn:

• He won a PA high school title despite attending a high school that didn't have a wrestling team.
  • He won three D1 titles despite competing for a D2 team.
  • He made it to the Pro Bowl despite never playing football in college.

..slightly "off topic"'- when I was teaching/coaching, I got to play in a fundraising basketball game against some of the Cincinnati Reds players-

Barry Larkin, Junior Griffey (when he was real young), Joe Oliver, etc.   To be shoulder to shoulder with/versus that level of athleticism, their athletic ability appeared to be supernatural- foot speed, jumping ability, etc. was unreal ..... a normal guy getting hit by an NFL player would be toast .........

MMA seems like a good fit eventually, but fi he reaches his potential in wrestling, he will make a lot of money in wrestling. Our best guys are starting to make real money. Endorsements will increase as the sport grows. 

Instagram followers is an indicator of that growth. Our biggest stars have a few hundred thousands followers. The top mma guys have a few million (excluding mcgregor - he has transcended the sport). 

Guys like Spencer Lee, Gable, Fix, etc are in the 40-50k range. 

Steveson will have half a million at least before college is over if he starts making world teams and keeps his antics up. He is going to be a star. 

9 hours ago, NJDan said:

Gable moves like a defensive lineman while the typical heavyweight tends to move more like an offensive lineman.  I'm sure he'll eventually be heavy enough but he would definitely be on the shorter side. 

11 hours ago, ThorsteinV said:

Gable moves like a defensive lineman while the typical heavyweight tends to move more like an offensive lineman.  I'm sure he'll eventually be heavy enough but he would definitely be on the shorter side. 

He moves like a weight proportional athlete. A very, very good one. I'd say Steveson's agility is easily on  par with 197 pounders.

21 hours ago, NJDan said:

If he were big enough and fast enough to play in the NFL he would be playing college football at an elite program.  He is a great wrestler but he does not have the athletic ability of the elite NFL players.  

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If he were big enough and fast enough to play in the NFL he would be playing college football at an elite program.  He is a great wrestler but he does not have the athletic ability of the elite NFL players.  

I don't know man. If you have three world golds, and if you weigh 250 pounds and can do a backflip, it strongly suggests you're an elite athlete.

Just now, Katie said:

I don't know man. If you have three world golds, and if you weigh 250 pounds and can do a backflip, it strongly suggests you're an elite athlete.

I have been around the NFL and believe me when I say that those cats are from another planet.  Most people don't have a clue as to how big and fast they run.  Not taking anything away from Gable but he has always wrestled and there is a big difference between the NFL and high school football.