Katie

Steveson workout video

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I have been around the NFL and believe me when I say that those cats are from another planet.  Most people don't have a clue as to how big and fast they run.  Not taking anything away from Gable but he has always wrestled and there is a big difference between the NFL and high school football.

I don't even watch football so I will defer to your judgment on what it takes to make it in the NFL. It may be that Gable is not big enough, but it's hard for me to believe that he's not athletic enough. World champion wrestlers are incredible athletes too.

I thought the NFL could be a potential path because at least two elite heavyweights (Haselrig and Neal) have already done it.

Edited by Katie

24 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If he were big enough and fast enough to play in the NFL he would be playing college football at an elite program.  He is a great wrestler but he does not have the athletic ability of the elite NFL players.  

I don't know that he has ever even tried football. He didn't play in high school. He said his favorite non-wrestling sports is basketball and he plays pick up games with the Jones brothers from Apple Valley who are elite (Timberwolves, Duke). Watching him run sprints, do backflips, one handed cartwheels, dunk a basketball, and just change directions while wrestling, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't excel at pretty much any sport.

21 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Can’t think of any right now, but that did remind me of Ryan Goodman who wrestled and played football at Nebraska and NC State and was a 2X ACC champ.  Looks like he is now a football coach at Coastal Carolina.

Whoops, just realized there is at least one example of this this year.  Josh Hokit of Fresno State, now ranked #16 at 197 after beating ISU's Miklus, also plays RB on the football team.

5 minutes ago, BadgerMon said:

Were I an NFL GM, I might tender an offer to Kyle Snyder as a free agent to try out for inside linebacker. 

Too musclebound. Bet he can't run very fast. Or, more likely, he's blazing fast for a few seconds, then his muscles tighten up like with musclebound folks and he slows way down.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I don't even watch football so I will defer to your judgment on what it takes to make it in the NFL. It may be that Gable is not big enough, but it's hard for me to believe that he's not athletic enough. World champion wrestlers are incredible athletes too.

I thought the NFL could be a potential path because at least two elite heavyweights (Haselrig and Neal) have already done it.

John Hannah is in the NFL Hall of Fame and is considered by many to be the best OL ever and he was 6'2" and 265lb.  John also won the national preps in wrestling but he would not be big enough today.  Now lets keep in mind that most of the NFL linemen are to large to wrestle in high school and college.  Most are 6'5" and 335lb+ today.

13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

John Hannah is in the NFL Hall of Fame and is considered by many to be the best OL ever and he was 6'2" and 265lb.  John also won the national preps in wrestling but he would not be big enough today.  Now lets keep in mind that most of the NFL linemen are to large to wrestle in high school and college.  Most are 6'5" and 335lb+ today.

I can believe that. Neal was listed at 6'4" and 305 pounds.

Also, Steveson will get bigger. I believe he's only 18. Doesn't sound like he'll get NFL big, though.

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, Katie said:

I can believe that. Neal was listed at 6'4" and 305 pounds.

Also, Steveson will get bigger. I believe he's only 18. Doesn't sound like he'll get NFL big, though.

I really don't care if you believe it or not so you can do your own research.  Another thing to remember is that the listed height and weight are never correct.  

7 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I really don't care if you believe it or not so you can do your own research.  Another thing to remember is that the listed height and weight are never correct.  

You may want to re-read what I wrote.

On January 17, 2019 at 12:20 PM, gromit said:

Eddie Meyers (EIWA 3rd at 190lbs for Navy) came very close.  He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons but his service commitment kept him from playing.  here's an article about him

Interesting because why would service commitment keep him from playing.  Why were David Robinson and Napolean McCallum able to play in the Pro's?

32 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

Interesting because why would service commitment keep him from playing.  Why were David Robinson and Napolean McCallum able to play in the Pro's?

I believe the length of the service commitment for military academy grads varied, but was at least 2 years (i.e. Roger Staubach served 4 years before entering the NFL and David Robinson served 2 before entering the NBA) 

RE: Meyers, the article referenced states the following:

The NFL beckoned, but so did Meyers' six-year service hitch. He signed with Atlanta and, each summer, spent his leave sweating at the Falcons' training camp. But the military refused to bend its rules so, each autumn, Marine Lt. Eddie Meyers returned to his post as supply officer at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Discharged in 1987, he returned to the Falcons, got hurt and was released before the first game.

Edited by gromit

On 1/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, TobusRex said:

Too musclebound. Bet he can't run very fast. Or, more likely, he's blazing fast for a few seconds, then his muscles tighten up like with musclebound folks and he slows way down.

Great work ethic, great drop-step and reflexes, loves to tackle... excellent traits for an inside linebacker.

2 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Great work ethic, great drop-step and reflexes, loves to tackle... excellent traits for an inside linebacker.

Snyder actually was a very good football player.  IIRC, he hung up the cleats after his sophomore year to focus on wrestling.  Given his work ethic, I bet he could've played major D-I college football.  Here's a highlight video from his sophomore year on the nation's fifth ranked team: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kyle-snyder/gRfUNfTwEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/videos.htm?videoid=81df655f-0ddc-4ec7-bb90-edbe551cc573

On 1/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, Katie said:

That’s two guys in the last 30+ years.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:14 AM, TobusRex said:

I’d say the vast majority on NFL linebackers have as much or more muscle on their frames than does Snyder. 

I don't know what Scott Studwell's, the MLB for the Vikings years ago, playing weight was, but I drank with him at a bar at the height of his career.  That dude looked chiseled out of granite.  I've never seed quads like his before or since.  I think he only weighed 230 or so, but he made Kyle Snyder look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Don't know much about Steveson's workout video, but Ohio State's workout video has surfaced . . . perhaps via "wrestle-leaks".  Includes: D Bergman, Wes Bergman, Alex Picazo, Lance Palmer, Will Livingston, J Jaggers, Reece Humphrey, Jacob Hale, Corey Morrison, and Blake Maurer.  The question only remains whether Jim Jordan knew about it before or after.

On January 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM, Katie said:

Here's an interesting tweet from Minnesota wrestling's Twitter feed, which shows Steveson working out with Brock Lesnar: Link

As a big man who is also an uber athlete, I think Steveson has options in the future. Will he be a freestyler for life? Will he eventually pursue MMA? Will he attempt to make an NFL team (like Neal)?

Anyone else bothered by Lesnar's cradle technique?  I hate to say it, but typical heavyweight:)

On 1/18/2019 at 2:06 PM, pennsyrules said:

I'm fairly certain that in Robinson's case it was because he grew taller while attending the Naval Academy and was too tall to serve on any naval vessels by the time he graduated.  

7 hours ago, Rhackler said:

I'm fairly certain that in Robinson's case it was because he grew taller while attending the Naval Academy and was too tall to serve on any naval vessels by the time he graduated.  

In both Robinson's case and Napoleon's they made exceptions because it was good PR to have a Naval Academy guy in the pros. It's not clear that they would do so for a marginal NFL player.