Katie

Steveson workout video

7 hours ago, Rhackler said:

I'm fairly certain that in Robinson's case it was because he grew taller while attending the Naval Academy and was too tall to serve on any naval vessels by the time he graduated.  

Yeah, I think he ended up as an engineer in the Naval Reserve, so he wasn’t on a ship and had a shorter active duty commitment.

16 hours ago, Old Corps said:

I’d say the vast majority on NFL linebackers have as much or more muscle on their frames than does Snyder. 

And they are also a lot bigger than Snyder, including longer legs. What's Kyle, about 5'10"?

On 1/18/2019 at 7:19 AM, Bryan said:

If he were big enough and fast enough to play in the NFL he would be playing college football at an elite program.  He is a great wrestler but he does not have the athletic ability of the elite NFL players.  

Some of those "elite NFL players" are just big, strong, fat slobs. Refrigerator Perry, for example.

58 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Some of those "elite NFL players" are just big, strong, fat slobs. Refrigerator Perry, for example.

Uhm, overweight isn't the same as not athletic.  

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Refrigerator Perry played over 20 years ago. Have you noticed how most of the NFL lineman look today?

Edited by Bryan

12 hours ago, TobusRex said:

And they are also a lot bigger than Snyder, including longer legs. What's Kyle, about 5'10"?

But they are still “muscle bound” as you say.

That’s an outdated term that I’ve not heard in a very long time. 

Today’s athletes know that carrying muscle doesn’t mean they’ll tire out like you implied in an earlier post. 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, Katie said:

Here's an interesting tweet from Minnesota wrestling's Twitter feed, which shows Steveson working out with Brock Lesnar: Link

As a big man who is also an uber athlete, I think Steveson has options in the future. Will he be a freestyler for life? Will he eventually pursue MMA? Will he attempt to make an NFL team (like Neal)?

Chael Sonnen recently interviewed Henry Cejudo. In the interview, Sonnen said there is a "rumor" that Steveson is going to take an Olympic redshirt next year, and then jump into MMA right after that.

In response, Cejudo said he thinks Steveson should stick with wrestling beyond 2020 because he's so young and because he thinks its good to accomplish a lot in wrestling before jumping into MMA. Cejudo also specifically mentioned brain development with respect to beginning an MMA career.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:35 AM, NJDan said:

In both Robinson's case and Napoleon's they made exceptions because it was good PR to have a Naval Academy guy in the pros. It's not clear that they would do so for a marginal NFL player. 

I think Robinson grew something like 6+" in college.  I also believe he was supposed to be a submariner.  Just not happening,,,

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:26 AM, Bryan said:

John Hannah is in the NFL Hall of Fame and is considered by many to be the best OL ever and he was 6'2" and 265lb.  John also won the national preps in wrestling but he would not be big enough today.  Now lets keep in mind that most of the NFL linemen are to large to wrestle in high school and college.  Most are 6'5" and 335lb+ today.

Most lineman are not 335+ lbs.  Pretty sure the average OL is around 315 lbs.

I saw this on Twitter and have seen similar videos from Kyle Snyder.  What’s striking to me is how little weight these wrestlers are lifting and then getting excited.  Squatting 405 is not impressive for a 245 lb man 

34 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I saw this on Twitter and have seen similar videos from Kyle Snyder.  What’s striking to me is how little weight these wrestlers are lifting and then getting excited.  Squatting 405 is not impressive for a 245 lb man 

My old 115lber squatted 410 maybe 3 years out of high school. 

44 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I agree.  However, in this particular video we don't know if he was excited, or if this was even a max effort.  We don't know the context of this lift. It looked like he handled it well, but it wasn't super light, either.  Was this right after practice, the morning after a weekend of travel, etc.

28 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I agree.  However, in this particular video we don't know if he was excited, or if this was even a max effort.  We don't know the context of this lift. It looked like he handled it well, but it wasn't super light, either.  Was this right after practice, the morning after a weekend of travel, etc.

Well I heard “f*** yeah” and “good sh*t, dude” so I thought that added a bit of context. The strength coach does label it “in season” so your point is certainly valid.  

I know I’m generalizing a bit from a few videos but my thought is that these guys are considerably weaker (in the weight room, at least) than football players of similar size.

Just now, ThorsteinV said:

Well I heard “f*** yeah” and “good sh*t, dude” so I thought that added a bit of context. The strength coach does label it “in season” so your point is certainly valid.  

I know I’m generalizing a bit from a few videos but my thought is that these guys are considerably weaker (in the weight room, at least) than football players of similar size.

Ok, I watched with no sound so that does add to the excitement part of it.

9 hours ago, Katie said:

Chael Sonnen recently interviewed Henry Cejudo. In the interview, Sonnen said there is a "rumor" that Steveson is going to take an Olympic redshirt next year, and then jump into MMA right after that.

In response, Cejudo said he thinks Steveson should stick with wrestling beyond 2020 because he's so young and because he thinks its good to accomplish a lot in wrestling before jumping into MMA. Cejudo also specifically mentioned brain development with respect to beginning an MMA career.

You mean the interview where Chael almost called Steiber "Streebler", but called him Steibler?

lol

21 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm not sure Mocco ever saw any action in a game. I think his official duty for OSU football was keeping the bench warm.

That is something that not just everyone can be proficient at. Some of us were just born with the skill.

Edited by unbiased