jackwebster

Dave Schultz/Royce Alger Story

This might have been discussed before, but I don't remember being very satisfied with the answers. So, here we go again:

What was wrong with Dave Schultz? What's wrong with us? Apparently, he routinely choked out his practice partners, and we as a community laugh it off. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6219726-wall-talks/videos?playing=6131912&limit=60

Sounds psychotic. Why do we let this slide?

I wrestled Dave in practices during Stanford summer camps in 1986. He outweighs me but wow, I don’t know how but he easily threw me over his head EVEN when we were at neutral starting positions! His techniques were out of the world and hard to duplicate.

He didn’t brutalize me probably because I was about 16 that time. I wasn’t a threat to him- More like an ant to him.

I knew that Royce Alger was quite a bull back then. I have seen Royce bull-roll against Kevin Jackson (the same 3x world champ) in 1987 NCAA finals at U of MD. Royce was the kind that would do heavy bull rush every time he wrestle. (He was at super bull level, way above Alex Marinelli level), I would assume that Dave knew that Royce outweighed him and would be a problem for him. I would think Dave had to show Royce that Dave wasn’t the one to mess around or do a bull run on. I guessed It worked for Dave as Royce is forced to respect him at the practices.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:19 AM, jackwebster said:

This might have been discussed before, but I don't remember being very satisfied with the answers. So, here we go again:

What was wrong with Dave Schultz? What's wrong with us? Apparently, he routinely choked out his practice partners, and we as a community laugh it off. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6219726-wall-talks/videos?playing=6131912&limit=60

Sounds psychotic. Why do we let this slide?

We are much more feminine now.  We were not as big of pussies back then.

Dave wasn't truly malicious though.  He might do some mean stuff on the mat, but afterwards he'd be your best friend and show you exactly what he was doing to make you not feel so good.  One of my coaches wrestled Dave at the open or Sunkist one year and this was like a year or two before he was murdered. He saw my coach warming up and knew a little about him and was saying how he should try doing certain things because of his build. Then my coach says to Dave, you realize we're wrestling soon right? And Dave says, oh yeah, and then continues showing him some technique.  Then they get called to the mat and before my coach went out he asked whoever was coaching him, maybe Lee Roy, what he should do. And whoever it was said, if you shoot he might tear your arm out, if you don't he might throw you on your head.  Of course Dave won and almost took his shoulder right out and afterwards was coming off the mat and was like hey, try this and went right back to showing him whatever it was they were doing before.

So even though on the mat he was tough and nasty, he wasn't really a bully who would hurt you for laughs and was smug about it. He wanted you to get better, I think, because he thought that would help him raise his game to a higher level because then he would have to improve if the people around him he wrestled knew what he was doing. And if he could do that then he would be able to beat the Russians.  Also because I just don't think he was really a mean spirited guy.  Like he really wanted guys to get better even if he didn't wrestle them because then they would do better for Team USA.  

On 1/22/2019 at 5:06 PM, tbert said:

We are much more feminine now.  We were not as big of pussies back then.

This is so silly. Every generation people think this, but every time a generation needs to stand up, they do. 

WW1 generation said the same thing about the WW2 generation, and then the WW2 folks were drafted and obviously proved their toughness. 

Dont fall into the “good old days” trap. It is a false narrative. 

Found this...

Randy Lewis on Dave Schultz
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:00 AM »

I pulled Randy's post from the mat...

With the Dave Schultz tournament going on this weekend, and my good friend Royce Alger telling his story about his first workout with Dave Schultz on Facebook, I thought it would be appropriate to tell my story of my first and ONLY workout with the great Dave Schultz. Dave was a great friend of mine, and we were teammates many times and were at training camps together many times, but I only got on the mat with him one time, for a total of just one minute. I would often roll around with bigger wrestlers in practice, but I was always afraid to wrestle Dave Schultz. Dave was the nicest guy in the world off the mat, but I knew that on the mat he was a different animal. I had seen enough of Dave Schultz in matches and in practice to know that on the mat he was as Stephen A Smith would say “A BAD MAN!!!”
I always felt like if I were to wrestle him, I would be unable to protect myself. It turns out I was correct!!! I remember one time at the 1984 Olympic training camp and Dave didn’t have a partner and he asked me if I wanted to roll around a little. I said “Dave, I am not ever going to wrestle with you until I am retired! I don’t want to get hurt!” One year later, I had temporarily retired, and I was at a world team practice and guys were switching partners, and Dave said to me “Lewboo, now that you are retired you want to roll with me?” I said “Not really but I will for a little bit.” Just as I got paired up with Dave, coach Jim Humphries, who was running the practice announced, “1 minute periods, par terre, world team member on top!” I thought, really, one minute underneath Dave Schultz, that doesn’t sound very fun! Well, it took about 15 seconds for Dave to get my right foot placed up over my left ear, bending my body in a very painful way! My knee, my hip, my back, my neck, and my shoulder were all being wrenched at the same time! Pain was shooting through my entire body, and I was trying to roll over onto my back as fast as I could! Unfortunately for me I couldn’t move! Somehow, my neck and head got twisted so that my mouth and nose were stuck in the mat, and I couldn’t breathe. Not only was my body in severe pain, but now I was also suffocating, and I couldn’t reach Dave with either of my hands to tap out. My body somehow got stuck in a position where I couldn’t roll over, and Dave kept cranking harder and harder to try and turn me. I was stuck in this position for about 45 seconds, in severe pain and suffocating, unable to turn over and just as I started to black out, coach Humphries saved my LIFE by blowing the whistle. Dave let me go, and I rolled over onto my back, sobbing uncontrollably, and hyperventilating trying to catch my breath. Dave looked at me and said, wow, I can’t believe you didn’t turn over, I was really cranking hard. I said I was trying as hard as I could to turn over, but I couldn’t. I cried like a baby for about 5 minutes straight after that, and I never wrestled with Dave Schultz again. I have told this story to many other wrestlers when they ask me about Dave, and I follow it up by saying yeah, Dave was pretty good on top, but he couldn’t turn me! Writing this brings tears to my eyes and I and the wrestling world miss Dave so much, he was such a great person and such a great wrestler.

This is so silly. Every generation people think this, but every time a generation needs to stand up, they do. 
WW1 generation said the same thing about the WW2 generation, and then the WW2 folks were drafted and obviously proved their toughness. 
That's what the Romans said!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Maybe not physically, but certainly more intolerant emotionally.  What was not uncommon behavior then is certainly not acceptable and sometimes and justifiably so, illegal now.  

We have dumb downed to a more existence of girlymen.

40 minutes ago, tbert said:

We have dumb downed to a more existence of girlymen.

Umm, what? Is this English?

(I'm sorry, does this make me an intolerant girlyman?)

Edited by Crotalus

7 hours ago, Hubbard said:

I just want to make sure I understand correctly.  Someone is complaining that he choked out Royce Alger who was an absolute monster?  

Man, times they are a changing.

I have heard this story several times, but I never really considered Alger's reputation before. I guess if Alger was a known a-hole, then maybe he got what he deserved.