Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Best Start to a Freshman Season

With Parris and Fix knocking off top guys the past few weeks made me think of the best start for a freshman. Parris knocking off the 3rd place finisher has to be up there. Dave Hoffman pinned two AAs his first weekend of wrestling in Cory Ace and someone else from the old EWL but I forget who.

14 minutes ago, klehner said:

Kyle Dake's first collegiate match was a win over #4 from Maryland.  Then won the Southern Scuffle.  A week or so later beat #1 Humphrey and the then-#3 from Maryland at National Duals.

Not too shabby.

This is what I am talking about. Who came out and started knocking off AAs.

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

With Parris and Fix knocking off top guys the past few weeks made me think of the best start for a freshman. Parris knocking off the 3rd place finisher has to be up there. Dave Hoffman pinned two AAs his first weekend of wrestling in Cory Ace and someone else from the old EWL but I forget who.

Fix has beaten 2 former finalists in Suriano and Lizak

Max Askren beat #2 JD Bergman 8-4 in his first official match. 3 days later he beat #4 Joel Flaggert 2-1. 2 weeks later he won Vegas beating new #2 Jerry Rinaldi 4-3 in the finals and eventual AA that year Nick Roy in the quarters. That was 3 top 4 wins by the first weekend in December. The following weekend he majored #8 Wynn Michalak. Undefeated through December, Askren then won the Scuffle title, beating Hudson Taylor then pinning JD Bergman in the finals.  Askren then went 4-0 at the National Duals, beating his 3rd #2 ranked guy of the season, Mike Tamillow 9-4.  He finished January by majoring #8 Craig Brester.  After a couple more wins, Askren lost on a controversial defensive pin call against eventual Runner-up Kurt Backes, ending his 26 match win streak.