Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Cejudo vs. Dillashaw (1/19/19)

Tomorrow, 125 lb UFC champ Cejudo fights 135 lb UFC champ Dillashaw. This fight may be of interest to wrestling fans because Cejudo is an Olympic gold medalist and Dillashaw is a 3x NCAA qualifier.

NCAA champ Gregor Gillespie is also fighting tomorrow. He's currently 12-0 in MMA, and faces Yancy Mederios, who is always tough. (Medeiros wrestled in high school, where he placed third.)

Dillishaw sucked down a ton to get to 125.  I know the one day recovery time helps, but still wondering if that will have a fight changing affect on him if the fight progresses into the later rounds.  Cejudo is basically a takedown and grind out the round kinda fighter, so he will definitly trying to hold top position and wear TJ down.  

4 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Dillashaw will weigh at least 140 so he wins easily.

Henry has also been know as a pretty big gainer from weigh-in to fight to so he maybe a comparable weight too.  I’m sure TJ will gain a decent amount of weight but the drain of the cut can’t be great on his body over 5 rounds.  We’ve seen these type of big cuts have a effect on other fighters as the fight dragged on.  

Ludwig has developed TJ’s into a pretty skilled fighter.  His best option maybe to pepper Henry with strikes hoping to end it by round 3 or at least break him down enough to even out the fatigue and ride out the later rounds.  Move in early each round establish right control and start hitting Cejudo from all angles with strikes.  But don’t stay in the pocket too long and pay for it by getting wrapped up and taken down.  TJ has enough grappling ability to stop a few shots or get off the ground occasions.  But I feel like the weight cut may help drain him too much if he’s spending much of the fight doing that.  He would win by KO or by split decision based on the early round striking.  TJ get to be double champ briefly.  Dana White uses this win to close the 125 division.  Claiming that division is basically cleared of viable contenders (he just let most of them go) and the remaining guys are big enough to go up to 135 rather than cutting weight.   

Obviously Henry need to be patient at the very start of each round to avoid taking too many strike combination early thus giving TJ a chance to take the round or find the TKO opportunity.  Henry is an improved striker but isn’t on TJs level and I still question his ability to denfend himself over the course of several attacks.  Henry should be foolish enough to think he can exchange strikes with Dillishaw and should be using his strikes only to set up takedowns or keep TJ from getting in a rhythm of combo strikes.   Cejudo needs to keep moving around the octagon into he can time out one good shot or get TJ to follow right into a grappling hold.  Then spend the last min or so of the round grinding out TJ on the mat. Wear TJ down enough take a few rounds on light damage, mat control, and lack of opponents notable offense.  Then hopefully win the split decision.   If that occurs Dana White will be pissed cause he wants more action and a clean reason to end to 125.   He will likely end the 125 division anyway and blame it on this being another in a series of what he would claim at boring 125 fights.  Or keep it few fight longer, only really hold title fights, and then end by the end of the again blaiming it on what I said above.  

On a side note I am interested in seeing how Gillespie does as he steps up in competition.  His opponent is standing in the way of GG getting a top 10 opponent.  Gregor has done well against some new upstarts and gatekeepers, but Mederios is just right outside the rankings and has already beat a few lower ranked guys.  He is also looking to get back on track after taking a recent loss to Cowboy Cerrone.  This fight will show if Gillespie is finally ready to move up to the PPV main card against a big time opponent.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Lol, that pic you posted is from the fake weigh in which they hold to hype up the fight. By this time they had already had a few hours to eat and rehydrate. They both looked way worse in the actual weigh in. 

Striking prevails but shockingly it’s Cejudo for the win.  He Clipped TJ early in the 1st with a kick followed by a solid punch and then overwhelmend him soon after.   Dana White gotta be pissed because this was suppose to be his end to 125 and it’s hard to justify pulling the plug onthar belt after that clear of a victory.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Welp... when Dillashaw returns to 135 lbs and defends his belt, it will lose some of its luster. 

Given the result, does even make sense to have Cejudo fight Dillashaw at 135 lbs?

My initial reaction was that the ref stepped in to early for Cejudo’s win.  After watching replays, and seeing Dillashaw kinda crumple again while Cejudo kept unloading, I can see why the ref stepped in.  It was close.  I’m not faulting the ref.  

Cejudo looked great.  I thought his simple shove of Dillashaw was great awareness.  Simple.  Set up a staggered Dillashaw who was then open for attack.

On Gregor - an ‘intereresting dude’ .. real chatty during the interview in the ring.  Looked great  but doesn’t seem too interested in punching when in control on the mat.  Until, of course, he did.

I have to ask — what the hell is up with his freakin hair.  I thought Frank the Tank has the worst hair cut ever.  Gregor, congrats, you took that belt from Frank.  Seriously though, is that an attempt to look like someone with mental capacity issues?  

Who are the world/Olympic champs who have fought in the UFC?

I’m thinking Cejudo, Yoel Romero, Kevin Jackson, Mark Schultz. Anyone else?

Makhov was signed but never actually fought. 

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

Idiotic weight cut on Dillashaw's part.  Looked like Christian Bale in "The Machinist."  I guess with the money he made he can buy himself a new set of kidneys some day...  

Agreed, but there was potentially a ton of money on the line. Had he gone down and won, the next step was to go up to 145 and be the first 3-weight champ in history. I'm not sure we'll ever see that at the upper weights because the sport is becoming much more competitive, and there is a good chance 125 goes away as a weight class, so this was a fairly unique setup for TJ. Obviously Cejudo had other plans, and I think he could go up and become a two-weight champ himself. 

What Cejudo did was beyond impressive, and TJ acted like a huge crybaby after getting his ass handed to him. I'm sure there'll be a rematch at 135.

The fight began with Cejudo and Dillashaw trading kicks. Because Cejudo has a karate stance, Dillashaw predictably went after Cejudo's lead leg. But Cejudo was ready.

When Dillashaw finally threw a punch, Cejudo did not respond with his own strike. Instead he pushed Dillashaw down, and then kicked him as he got back up. Dillashaw was hurt by that kick, and Cejudo pounced.

I suspect that someone on Cejudo's team recognized that Dillashaw is sometimes off balance when he attacks.

1 hour ago, Katie said:

Kenny Monday fought in Extreme Fighting a very long time ago against John Lewis.

43 minutes ago, Katie said:

I suspect that someone on Cejudo's team recognized that Dillashaw is sometimes off balance when he attacks.

Henry said they brought in a couple guys to his camp to help with TJs movement and striking style.  It helped him recognize when to be patient and when a safe  opportunity for a storkwas there.  They knew TJ has some movement that often baits people into believing a an attack is open and then then they pay for it.  I’m assuming that helped Henry time out an attack that landed. 

TJ is actually a pretty good MMA wrestler and usually much better than his opponent, so a lot of what he does works because there is the threat of a TD. For Cejudo, who is at a minimum several levels above TJ in wrestling, there isn't that risk to worry about so game planning is a lot easier. 

I'm mainly impressed by how powerful and athletic Cejudo looked. Absolute animal. I can barely believe he makes 125. 

Cejudo, I believe, is the only Olympic wrestling champ and UFC champ.

That being so, it would be pretty great to see a picture of him wearing both his gold medal and belt.

An even greater picture would be one of him wearing his gold medal and two belts (125 & 135).

17 hours ago, nom said:

My initial reaction was that the ref stepped in to early for Cejudo’s win.  After watching replays, and seeing Dillashaw kinda crumple again while Cejudo kept unloading, I can see why the ref stepped in.  It was close.  I’m not faulting the ref.  

Cejudo looked great.  I thought his simple shove of Dillashaw was great awareness.  Simple.  Set up a staggered Dillashaw who was then open for attack.

On Gregor - an ‘intereresting dude’ .. real chatty during the interview in the ring.  Looked great  but doesn’t seem too interested in punching when in control on the mat.  Until, of course, he did.

I have to ask — what the hell is up with his freakin hair.  I thought Frank the Tank has the worst hair cut ever.  Gregor, congrats, you took that belt from Frank.  Seriously though, is that an attempt to look like someone with mental capacity issues?  

Have you watched any of Gregor’s other fights he can strike just fine when he needs to. His left hand is dangerous.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:42 AM, Katie said:

A couple silver medalists have fought too.  Mark Coleman and Royce Alger both world silver medalists.  Cormier took a bronze in 2005 at worlds.  Matt Lindland has an Olympic and World silver.  I don't think Mark Kerr medaled at worlds but he may have been a World Cup champion. Same with Mike Van Arsdale who I don't think made a world team.  It's kind of amazing that there have only been a handful of really elite wrestlers who have gotten into the UFC.