Jimmy Cinnabon

Suriano screwed up

...by leaving PSU to go to Rutgers.

Sure, he's the face (and abs) of Rutgers and his ego has gotten the attention he so desperately craves but he has not improved (and has quite arguably regressed) since joining Rutgers.  He has just dropped 2 matches in a row, his conditioning looks suspect and he looks further from a NCAA title than before his injury at Penn State.

In short, coaching and the room matters.

Austin DeSanto is a perfect counterexample.

Nick screwed up.  Penn State is lucky they are still so loaded that even without Suriano they are heavy favorites to win it all this year.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

...by leaving PSU to go to Rutgers.

Sure, he's the face (and abs) of Rutgers and his ego has gotten the attention he so desperately craves but he has not improved (and has quite arguably regressed) since joining Rutgers.  He has just dropped 2 matches in a row, his conditioning looks suspect and he looks further from a NCAA title than before his injury at Penn State.

In short, coaching and the room matters.

Austin DeSanto is a perfect counterexample.

Nick screwed up.  Penn State is lucky they are still so loaded that even without Suriano they are heavy favorites to win it all this year.

Agree it was a bad move on his part, but luck has nothing to do with PSU still being loaded without him. 

1 minute ago, gowrestle said:

There is a lot of wrestling left. It’s way too early to count NS out. Heading to Pittsburgh, he will be one of the guys who will be in the mix to win the tournament. 

Miccic got hammered by Desanto last year during the regular season. Things ended up ok for him at NCAAs.

46 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Miccic got hammered by Desanto last year during the regular season. Things ended up ok for him at NCAAs.

He did come close to losing an arm though. 

I personally thing Suriano’s chin sponge is holding him back.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Suriano just doesn’t bring it against the elite.  He shuts down and has a tendency to stall. That approach will never get it done against the very best.  He will need to take a few more risks if he wants a shot at the championship.

He’s also lucky Gross is hurt 

13 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Wrestling is hard.  I've seen no reason to believe Suriano won't be just fine.

Theres a big difference between being just fine and winning an NCAA title. I'm a Suriano fan and am rooting for him to win it all, but that doesnt mean I think it's going to happen this year.

Fair point.  Let me clarify; Suriano seemingly barely wrestled and lost by a hair to two extremely game competitors during a part of the season which I expect wrestlers to be a little down.  If he just cleans up his focus, and limits tactical errors slightly, he is right there for a title again.  If you're his coach, and you've got a plan, you're probably not too worried about him right now, imo.

17 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Fair point.  Let me clarify; Suriano seemingly barely wrestled and lost by a hair to two extremely game competitors during a part of the season which I expect wrestlers to be a little down.  If he just cleans up his focus, and limits tactical errors slightly, he is right there for a title again.  If you're his coach, and you've got a plan, you're probably not too worried about him right now, imo.

Honestly I think he looked fine until the 3rd period. He looked like he had no awareness of where he was in the match at that point. Before the Desanto td, I honestly think he should have been hit with stalling again!

Who the hell wants to be in that hick town?  

Suriano is sick and lost by the hometown ref giving desanto 2 late stalling points forcing suriano to then cut desanto.   Desanto earned 3 of his 6 points which nick earned all 4.   

So.... 

Anyways looking forward to a healthy nick settling business with Micic

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Who the hell wants to be in that hick town?  

Suriano is sick and lost by the hometown ref giving desanto 2 late stalling points forcing suriano to then cut desanto.   Desanto earned 3 of his 6 points which nick earned all 4.   

So.... 

Anyways looking forward to a healthy nick settling business with Micic

Micic wins that match.

He was an NCAA finalist last year and beat the defending champ to get there, it’s not like he went down the crapper since transferring.

But I do agree he seems afraid to lose against some of the top guys. Hopefully now that he has he’ll learn to open up a bit.  And might need to work on the gas tank a bit for DeSanto.

8 hours ago, DEFan79 said:

Suriano just doesn’t bring it against the elite.  He shuts down and has a tendency to stall. That approach will never get it done against the very best.  He will need to take a few more risks if he wants a shot at the championship.

He’s also lucky Gross is hurt 

This. Way too conservative in the early going.  Converted the first shot he took for a td without much trouble but then he shut it down. His form is so solid, he should be shooting all match because he will score on the majority of his shots. In neutral he actually reminds me of Tom Brands a bit, nothing really crazy but just super solid setups and attacks. Looks like maybe some gas tank issues and maybe something going on in his head.