Jimmy Cinnabon

Suriano screwed up

Suriano made a mental mistake in not just cutting DeSanto earlier.  He already had riding time.  And we know that Iowa gets the home mat advantage on stalling calls.  I could see one of those stall calls, but 2?  

I would wager money on Suriano the next time they wrestle.

Because of a basketball game that had 8 minutes left and took 40 to finish, I missed the lst half of match on Big Ten net.  So when it finally cut to wrestling,  the lst thing I noticed was Surriano appeared sorta gassed, with Desanto burrowing in and pushing the pace, not gassed at all.  The final takedown was impressive for Desanto, not so much for Surriano, who really went down easy.  One of the noticeable improvements at matche's end was a Desanto who wasn't showboating -- it's so much easier to watch.  Ashnault also, after an OT win....both looked civilized...so coaches must have had a chat with the boys.  Good manners always makes a huge win more impressive. 

15 minutes ago, Paddleman said:

Because of a basketball game that had 8 minutes left and took 40 to finish, I missed the lst half of match on Big Ten net.  So when it finally cut to wrestling,  the lst thing I noticed was Surriano appeared sorta gassed, with Desanto burrowing in and pushing the pace, not gassed at all.  The final takedown was impressive for Desanto, not so much for Surriano, who really went down easy.  One of the noticeable improvements at matche's end was a Desanto who wasn't showboating -- it's so much easier to watch.  Ashnault also, after an OT win....both looked civilized...so coaches must have had a chat with the boys.  Good manners always makes a huge win more impressive. 

Did you miss the part where Desanto screamed in Surianos face? What about the part where the Brands bros ran out on the mat grabbing Desanto to calm him down?

Tech difficulties copy and pasting. This was from 1032004. “Their 2018 recruiting class was ranked #12 by intermat and looks like 2019’s ranking should be similar. Goodale said Aragona is actually the first time they’ve signed a guy who was #1 at his weight.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2018/11/14/wrestling-signs-loaded-2019-recruiting-class.aspx

Didn’t realize he actually lives in PA despitegoing to a NJ school.  A technicality but I guess that breaks up the NJ monopoly at RU. “

My comment.  What’s really strange is that JoJo Aragona lives in Pa and travels over the Delaware River and competes in N.J.   Ryan Anderson, also number 1 in country and 1 weight above, lives in NJ and goes other direction over Delaware River and competes in Pa. 
Edited by Wrestlingbcpc
Incorrect quote.

I've never really cared for DeSanto's style, but it certainly is going to take him further than Surriano this year.  He's relentless and ruthless, and it's difficult to ignore the huge difference being at Iowa has made.  There's a pretty good chance this might just continue, whereas Surriano doesn't seem to be improving at all.  Sometimes the huge expectations and Flo specials end up crushing you. 

Edited by Paddleman

8 minutes ago, Paddleman said:

He's relentless and ruthless, and it's difficult to ignore the huge difference being at Iowa has made.  There's a pretty good chance this might just continue....

His antics have overshadowed the improvement, which really has been huge. He was one of the worst from the bottom and now even  Suriano, who can be physically brutal on top, can keep him down. He's always had a good gas tank, but now he paces it better and pours it on harder in the third--just smarter about his energy. And he obviously has a bit more than that fireman's/barrel roll to the right this year.

I don’t think Soriano is done yet. 

I don’t think he’s out of shape. 

I do think he wrestles “tight” against higher-level opponents and this takes a physical, mental and tactical toll on him. 

He’s got at least as much talent as anyone in his weight class and a lot more than most. He’s got good coaching, too. 

If he is able to relax, not fear losing so much (what I think is going on) and simply take some risks, he’ll do fine against anyone. 

But, before he can do that, he must accept the reality that all of the matches against top guys are likely to be decided by 1-2 points and they will be dogfights for the entire 7 minutes. His days of being far superior to almost everyone are over, as they are for most high school stars when they move to the next level. 

If he’s able to get his mindset right, he can win it all. 

Nobody can do this for him.

I’m rooting for you, Soriano!

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

Who the hell wants to be in that hick town?  

Suriano is sick and lost by the hometown ref giving desanto 2 late stalling points forcing suriano to then cut desanto.   Desanto earned 3 of his 6 points which nick earned all 4.   

So.... 

Anyways looking forward to a healthy nick settling business with Micic

Always an excuse every time he loses, it’s getting pathetic. And national champions want to be in that hick town. Rutgers is in the arm pit of America 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Always an excuse every time he loses, it’s getting pathetic. And national champions want to be in that hick town. Rutgers is in the arm pit of America 

That's Battle Mountain, Nevada. Saw it on the billboard along the Freeway. "Battle Mountain voted Armpit of America - so come on in and make your Pit Stop with us".

18 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

...by leaving PSU to go to Rutgers.

Sure, he's the face (and abs) of Rutgers and his ego has gotten the attention he so desperately craves but he has not improved (and has quite arguably regressed) since joining Rutgers.  He has just dropped 2 matches in a row, his conditioning looks suspect and he looks further from a NCAA title than before his injury at Penn State.

In short, coaching and the room matters.

Austin DeSanto is a perfect counterexample.

Nick screwed up.  Penn State is lucky they are still so loaded that even without Suriano they are heavy favorites to win it all this year.

He left PSU because he was not happy.  Excluding the wrestling element if he is now happy he didn't screw up.  Life is much to short to be unhappy and an unhappy student athlete would just be a cancer on the team if they don't leave.  

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

He left PSU because he was not happy.  Excluding the wrestling element if he is now happy he didn't screw up.  Life is much to short to be unhappy and an unhappy student athlete would just be a cancer on the team if they don't leave.  

yeah ... but ... he left Happy Valley and I hear they have a lot of fun there so ...

On 1/19/2019 at 4:21 PM, Bryan said:

Did you say life is too short?

Edited by jchapman
delete photo