Jump to content
treep2000

133 - Meatgrinder of Parity

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Micic hasn't beaten anyone good this year. In fact only 3 of his 7 wins are over wrestlers with winning records. Predicting this weight is a spaghetti mess.

 

The winning record thing is a little misleading because the highest ranked guy he beat is Paetzell of Lehigh who has a losing record.  Paetzell has wins over #10 Erneste and #11 Bridges.   Half of his losses are to Micic, DeSanto, RBY and Lizak; his only losses to someone not in the top 20 were to Terao and Thornton of Purdue.  (So even the bottom half of the 133 rankings are a mess too).

Micic does potentially have Pletcher, RBY and Suriano coming up so hopefully we see all 3 of those matches.  I have a feeling he drops at least one of them but no idea which one.  Keep in mind Micic lost to both Pletcher and DeSanto early last season before beating them both later (Pletcher twice).

I don’t think I’d be surprised if any of the top 10 guys (Micic, Fix, Suriano, Phillippi, Pletcher, Wilson, DeSanto, Lizak, Gomez, RBY IMO) wins it all in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

I think a lot of top tier 133lbers are going to breath a sigh of relief when ncaa brackets come out and they are not on desanto's side.  

 

No doubt. He's easily the most improved wrestler I've seen at the weight. I think he's top 5-6 at this point, with a ceiling being much higher. Depending on luck of the draw, upsets and such, I could easily seem him being a finalist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

 

No doubt. He's easily the most improved wrestler I've seen at the weight. I think he's top 5-6 at this point, with a ceiling being much higher. Depending on luck of the draw, upsets and such, I could easily seem him being a finalist.

I'm right with you on that.  If he gets a low seed, he is going to be a terror that first day especially if anyone is pulling a lot of weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

 

The winning record thing is a little misleading because the highest ranked guy he beat is Paetzell of Lehigh who has a losing record.  Paetzell has wins over #10 Erneste and #11 Bridges.   Half of his losses are to Micic, DeSanto, RBY and Lizak; his only losses to someone not in the top 20 were to Terao and Thornton of Purdue.  (So even the bottom half of the 133 rankings are a mess too).

Micic does potentially have Pletcher, RBY and Suriano coming up so hopefully we see all 3 of those matches.  I have a feeling he drops at least one of them but no idea which one.  Keep in mind Micic lost to both Pletcher and DeSanto early last season before beating them both later (Pletcher twice).

I don’t think I’d be surprised if any of the top 10 guys (Micic, Fix, Suriano, Phillippi, Pletcher, Wilson, DeSanto, Lizak, Gomez, RBY IMO) wins it all in March.

I agree. My point was going with Micic becuase he hasn't lost yet is a poor reason to pick him. This weight is shaping out to have results that heavily contrast with seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

The round of 16 at NCAAs is going to be crazy this year 

Yes, and this is a great thing for our sport!

I think even us hardcore fans can get a bit bored with weight classes that are dominated by a few guys.  It’s great seeing situations in which the very best will have to beat the very best to make the podium. 

Let’s hope everyone stays healthy and come to the NCAA’s ready to battle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, BigTenFanboy said:

Desanto defeats Suriano

Suriano defeats Phillipi

Phillipi defeats Fix

Fix defeats Gomez

Gomez defeats Desanto

The circle of life.

Anthony Cefolo defeats Gomez. I'll go with Cefolo for the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, Old Corps said:

...I think even us hardcore fans can get a bit bored with weight classes that are dominated by a few guys.  It’s great seeing situations in which the very best will have to beat the very best to make the podium...

I think sometimes weights with a great wrestler get overlooked as weak. Take 157 for instance. If Nolf wasn't head and shoulders above the rest that weight might be looked at differently. You would have Berger, Deacon, Hidlay, Young, and Hayes as your top 5 with a few other guys that could rise up and beat anyone of them. That doesn't make the weight better or worse just a different view.

That said I really like Desanto at 133. To me he has the speed and strength to win it all as well as that little bit of edge that makes him hard to wrestle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unbiased said:

Anthony Cefolo defeats Gomez. I'll go with Cefolo for the win.

And Cefolo lost to 2 guys from Old Dominion who aren’t the starter.

Although that was the first tourney of the season, he hasn’t beaten anyone that good other than Gomez but his only loss since then is to Suriano.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

And Cefolo lost to 2 guys from Old Dominion who aren’t the starter.

Although that was the first tourney of the season, he hasn’t beaten anyone that good other than Gomez but his only loss since then is to Suriano.

 

You convinced me, I'll take Gomez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I almost feel like Wilson should be #2.  He has one bad loss but not to any of the top guys, and the tiebreaker should probably go back to last year’s NCAA finish.  

Wait, you think it's better for your rankings if you lose to worse guys?  Gonna disagree there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

2008 149 while insanely deep had a clear cut front runner in Metcalf.

2019 133 does not have a clear front runner.

Are you suggesting that 133 will be more entertaining since there is no front runner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grecojones said:

Are you suggesting that 133 will be more entertaining since there is no front runner?

Depends. Some people find not knowing who's going to win stressful and don't enjoy the anxiety and enjoy having a front runner and seeing who will be the one that possibly knocks him off. Others enjoy the "chaos" of whos gonna come out on top.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 8:26 AM, JBluegill133 said:

I think a lot of top tier 133lbers are going to breath a sigh of relief when ncaa brackets come out and they are not on desanto's side.  

Most of these top tier 133lbers will have to breathe, huff & puff thru the BIG tourney first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winning your conference is going to be especially important in this weight. Most conferences have at least 1 top tier guy at this weight. 

Gotta think the Big Ten Champ will be the #1 seed. 

You could argue that unless something crazy happens then the ACC champ will be a top 4 seed. 

If Fix wins the Big 12 he'd likely end up seeded anywhere from 2-6th based on what happens with his past opponents. Gomez will be in his way but obviously Fix would be the favorite. Gomez could end up not being even a top10 seed. 

wild weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Wait, you think it's better for your rankings if you lose to worse guys?  Gonna disagree there...

Actually this does seem to be the case in college football for example.

But I guess I worded that badly.  I would say it’s about the same - obviously it’s not good to be losing to unranked guys, but no one else has a H2H argument against him (he hasn’t faced a ton of competition this year but did beat Bridges).

I moreso just think that because most of them have beaten each other the tiebreaker should go back to last year’s finish.   Obviously the question is where do Fix, Phillippi, Gomez and RBY fit in so I think that’s where you go back to H2H.  Obviously not a perfect system but put a gun to my head and I think current rankings should be:

1. Micic

2. Wilson (next-highest returner at 133)

3. Suriano (finalist at 125, beat Phillippi)

4. Phillippi (beat Pletcher who was next-highest returner)

5. Pletcher (only loss to Phillippi)

6. Fix (only loss to Phillippi)

7. Desanto (returning R12 - edit: I guess based on the previous methodology you could argue Gomez above him but because of the win over Suriano and the way Gomez was getting manhandled by Cefolo I think DeSanto deserves to be no less than 7)

8. Lizak (2X AA at 125 with only losses to guys above him)

9. Gomez

10. RBY

 

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gomez has Fix, Bridges, Erneste  & Big 12 tourney

Fix has Gomez, DeSanto, Erneste, Paetzell & Big 12 tourney

Phillippi has Myers (VT), Wilson, Harding (NC) & ACC tourney

Desanto has Duncan(Ill), Fix & Big 10 tourney

Pletcher has Micic, Duncan, RBY, Tucker (Corn),  & Big 10 tourney

Suriano has Micic & Big 10 tourney.

Wilson has Harding & ACC tourney

Micic has RBY, Pletcher, Suriano & Big 10 tourney

 

Edited by buf87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, buf87 said:

Gomez has Fix, Bridges, Erneste  & Big 12 tourney

Fix has Gomez, DeSanto, Erneste, Paetzell & Big 12 tourney

Phillippi has Myers (VT), Wilson, Harding (NC) & ACC tourney

Desanto has Duncan(Ill), Fix & Big 10 tourney

Pletcher has Micic, Duncan, RBY, Tucker (Corn),  & Big 10 tourney

Suriano has Micic & Big 10 tourney.

Wilson has Harding & ACC tourney

Micic has RBY, Pletcher, Suriano & Big 10 tourney

 

Only if they all wrestle of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...