treep2000

133 - Meatgrinder of Parity

46 minutes ago, Oskar said:

Chaz Tucker from Cornell is going to be a bad draw for some of these guys....

Agree. I can see him knocking one of these guys off. Not sure he can string enough together for AA finish but he’s a tough out at the very least. 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, JeanGuy said:

I think sometimes weights with a great wrestler get overlooked as weak. Take 157 for instance. If Nolf wasn't head and shoulders above the rest that weight might be looked at differently. You would have Berger, Deacon, Hidlay, Young, and Hayes as your top 5 with a few other guys that could rise up and beat anyone of them. That doesn't make the weight better or worse just a different view.

That said I really like Desanto at 133. To me he has the speed and strength to win it all as well as that little bit of edge that makes him hard to wrestle.

Except the difference is that three of the five guys at 157 you mentioned aren't All-Americans yet. Young wasn't even the starter last year. Without Nolf some other wrestlers might be in that weight class but otherwise it doesn't compare. 133 has multiple finalists, former AA's not in the top 10 like Bridges and multiple stud freshman.

If Micic is unaffected by the injury, which is a big "if", he has to be the overall favorite right now. If he wins Big10's would he still get the #1 seed even with the limited?  

Based on seeds, I would predict Gomez+Lizak sneak in as AA's and RBY doesn't.

I bet things become much more clear after conference tournaments. 

10 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Except the difference is that three of the five guys at 157 you mentioned aren't All-Americans yet. Young wasn't even the starter last year. Without Nolf some other wrestlers might be in that weight class but otherwise it doesn't compare. 133 has multiple finalists, former AA's not in the top 10 like Bridges and multiple stud freshman.

If Micic is unaffected by the injury, which is a big "if", he has to be the overall favorite right now. If he wins Big10's would he still get the #1 seed even with the limited?  

Based on seeds, I would predict Gomez+Lizak sneak in as AA's and RBY doesn't.

I bet things become much more clear after conference tournaments

I think things will appear clearer but when Nationals is over it looks nothing like the outcome of the conference tournaments.

46 minutes ago, unbiased said:

I think things will appear clearer but when Nationals is over it looks nothing like the outcome of the conference tournaments.

agree. Big Ten alone.....pretty likely that conference order of placements will be different than NCAAs. 

This weight class is crazy deep. PERIOD. I put the top 4 as Micic, Fix, Wilson & Suriano in no particular order.

I put Pletcher, Phillipi and Desanto slightly and I mean slightly behind the first group.

Followed by Gomes, Lisak & RBY.

That is 10 very good wrestlers right there. Somebody not mentioned will go on a roll and 1-2 of those seeded in the top 8 will not make the Podium.

No doubt about it, this weight class alone makes the trip to Pittsburgh worth it.

9 minutes ago, Cruiser94 said:

This weight class is crazy deep. PERIOD. I put the top 4 as Micic, Fix, Wilson & Suriano in no particular order.

I put Pletcher, Phillipi and Desanto slightly and I mean slightly behind the first group.

Followed by Gomes, Lisak & RBY.

That is 10 very good wrestlers right there. Somebody not mentioned will go on a roll and 1-2 of those seeded in the top 8 will not make the Podium.

No doubt about it, this weight class alone makes the trip to Pittsburgh worth it.

Each of your bolded picks has one thing they are either better at or plain blessed with that the others don't have, which makes them all able to get to the finals. Lizak has already made one final mainly because he's the best in the top position. Gomez is the best thrower. And RBY is the quickest of them all.