irani

A great show of sportsmanship

I know this is not international wrestling, but I am so impressed by this, I had to share.

There is a similar story about Takhti, which is why he is the most revered and respected wrestler of all time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/why-a-champion-high-school-wrestler-surrendered-a-match-he-could-have-won/ar-BBSrkij?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280

This may be an unpopular sentiment, but I disagree with this.  If the kid who was injured could not continue then he should not have put back out there to compete.  It's not his opponent's job to protect his safety, it's his coach, trainer, officials.  I would not want to win that way if I was the injured wrestler.  How do we know that he could "easily pin" his opponent once the injury occurred.  People wrestle "hurt" all the time.  Think of Jagger's 1st national title, or Cox beating Taylor, or Yianni last year.  There is a difference between being hurt and injured.  If he was truly injured then the only choice should have been to default the match.  If he was "hurt" then he has the choice to push through it and try to finish with the W.  I just don't see how winning because the other guy laid down would be very satisfying.  I'm not trying to criticize these kids, I just don't think it's fits with the spirit of wrestling.

Edited by balanceseeker

Well, this is HS and it was just another tourney, not a life changing experience.  I think the young man showed a lot of character, knowing that if nothing changed, he would have lost if no injury and allowing the kid the victory.  A  rambling sentence but good for the kid.  That will be a better story in the long run for him than if he had gone out and whooped up on the injured kid.  "Look at me, I can beat a kid who just got injured.  How great am I?"  I think his choice shows a lot of maturity.

mspart

As I said probably an unpopular sentiment.  If the other kid was injured to the point where he could not defend himself then he should not have been able to continue the match.  If he was not able to recognize this his coach or the trainer could have taken control of the situation.  It's not about feeling great about beating someone that is injured but the fact that he shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with.  

In my opinion I think the action depends on the score. If the wrestler who gets injured  is up by 3 or more points, it is best for the wrestler who is losing to take the last 30 seconds of the match off. After all, he has already proven himself to be the inferior wrestler at equal health. This is actually the most respectful/honorable strategy whether or not an injury occurs-especially if the wrestler who is winning hit some really sweet first period tilts, built of a safe lead, and had been coasting that last period and a half. There’s nothing worse than somebody with no chance to win the match trying really hard in the last thirty seconds, hoping a referee bails him out with stall calls or that the better wrestler will magically fall on his back. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

In the early 90's, a Wisconsin wrestler lost the state finals match because the doctor/ref wouldn't allow him to continue.  He was majoring his opponent with about 30 sec left in the match when he suffered a shoulder injury.  He begged the officials to let him continue but they medically defaulted him.  The crowd booed during the medal presentation.  The kid that won didn't want to win that way and was made to feel bad about it.  The "injured" wrestler did chin ups in front of the press to prove he could have continued.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

In the early 90's, a Wisconsin wrestler lost the state finals match because the doctor/ref wouldn't allow him to continue.  He was majoring his opponent with about 30 sec left in the match when he suffered a shoulder injury.  He begged the officials to let him continue but they medically defaulted him.  The crowd booed during the medal presentation.  The kid that won didn't want to win that way and was made to feel bad about it.  The "injured" wrestler did chin ups in front of the press to prove he could have continued.

Chaps, I was at that tournament. That was a weird deal, but the kid kept taking injury time and eventually the doctor shut it down. I don't remember if there was an actual injury time limit back then??

I didn't like when the crowd booed the kid that won, he did nothing wrong (I'm sure they were booing the officials, but the kid was standing on the podium when they booed).

I would be very upset if one of my wrestlers shut it down when their opponent was hurt. They are either healthy enough to go or not. Most wrestlers have bumps and bruises at some point during the year and we don't ask their opponents to take it easy on them.

Trying your hardest at all times is one of the pillars of good sportsmanship. It shows respect for the sport, your coaches and mentors, your opponent, and most importantly, yourself.

30 minutes ago, Ching said:

Chaps, I was at that tournament. That was a weird deal, but the kid kept taking injury time and eventually the doctor shut it down. I don't remember if there was an actual injury time limit back then??

I didn't like when the crowd booed the kid that won, he did nothing wrong (I'm sure they were booing the officials, but the kid was standing on the podium when they booed).

I would be very upset if one of my wrestlers shut it down when their opponent was hurt. They are either healthy enough to go or not. Most wrestlers have bumps and bruises at some point during the year and we don't ask their opponents to take it easy on them.

Trying your hardest at all times is one of the pillars of good sportsmanship. It shows respect for the sport, your coaches and mentors, your opponent, and most importantly, yourself.

I was there too!  I think it was 1991?  I don't recall there being an injury time limit then either.  I was sitting in front of the Div. 1 mat and didn't look over to the Div. 2 mat until the end when the crowd started going nuts, so I wasn't aware that he took multiple injury timeouts, that adds a little more to the story.  I felt bad for both wrestlers when the booing started.  

Edited by jchapman

20 hours ago, jchapman said:

I was there too!  I think it was 1991?  I don't recall there being an injury time limit then either.  I was sitting in front of the Div. 1 mat and didn't look over to the Div. 2 mat until the end when the crowd started going nuts, so I wasn't aware that he took multiple injury timeouts, that adds a little more to the story.  I felt bad for both wrestlers when the booing started.   

Almost positive it was 91. Have vivid memory of the kid that was forced to default flexing to the ref to show that he wasn't hurt.

I never liked hurting people on the mat, but when I did I certainly wasn't willing to take a loss for "sportsmanship" reasons. I showed my sportsmanship by respecting my opponent, shaking his and his coach's hands, and in not wrestling dirty.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:45 AM, mspart said:

Well, this is HS and it was just another tourney, not a life changing experience.  I think the young man showed a lot of character, knowing that if nothing changed, he would have lost if no injury and allowing the kid the victory.  A  rambling sentence but good for the kid.  That will be a better story in the long run for him than if he had gone out and whooped up on the injured kid.  "Look at me, I can beat a kid who just got injured.  How great am I?"  I think his choice shows a lot of maturity.

mspart

Bobby Douglas did this with Coleman v. Mocco when Mocco hurt Coleman's arm.  

https://globegazette.com/sports/college-wrestling-iowa-s-moco-wins-national-title/article_8c790764-4905-569b-aade-efc7e7c31b17.html

On 1/25/2019 at 7:45 AM, balanceseeker said:

This may be an unpopular sentiment, but I disagree with this.  If the kid who was injured could not continue then he should not have put back out there to compete.  It's not his opponent's job to protect his safety, it's his coach, trainer, officials.  I would not want to win that way if I was the injured wrestler.  How do we know that he could "easily pin" his opponent once the injury occurred.  People wrestle "hurt" all the time.  Think of Jagger's 1st national title, or Cox beating Taylor, or Yianni last year.  There is a difference between being hurt and injured.  If he was truly injured then the only choice should have been to default the match.  If he was "hurt" then he has the choice to push through it and try to finish with the W.  I just don't see how winning because the other guy laid down would be very satisfying.  I'm not trying to criticize these kids, I just don't think it's fits with the spirit of wrestling.

You love being a contrarian don’t you? 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, jchapman said:

Garrett DePies of Random Lake, WI was the injured wrestler. I was there too....bum deal for sure...the ref may have had his hands tied per the third injury timeout rule.  But....he could have rolled over and bridged and still won the match. I believe the other wrestler was Todd Christensen of St. Croix Falls?  1991 maybe.