Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Fix vs Phillippi - Flo coverage..

20 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Why no news on the Fix Phillippi match?

I'm a huge fan/supporter of Flo, but my one criticism of Flo is that it seems like if they're not covering/broadcasting a certain event.. they almost act like it didnt happen...

Yup.

2 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

If they don't have the rights to the footage and they had nobody there to cover the match, then what can they really do except tweet about it?

They could still post an article on the result and how the match went with generic pics of both guys. Fix losing his first college match is pretty big wrestling news and Wrestling news is Flo's main function.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

They could still post an article on the result and how the match went with generic pics of both guys. Fix losing his first college match is pretty big wrestling news and Wrestling news is Flo's main function.

I agree somewhat that they could do that but streaming live content is by far their main function

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

No it’s not. They are a subscription service for live sporting events. 

12 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

I agree somewhat that they could do that but streaming live content is by far their main function

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

No it’s not. They are a subscription service for live sporting events. 

Ok Flowrestling not Flo. ONE of their main functions is reporting wrestling news. Not their main function. Is that better? Or do you think they should just ignore big match results like this?

I've noticed a lot of recent matches being posted on youtube. A good number under "Big Ten Network".  If you can't find the match on FLO you might be able to find it there.

Couldn't find the Fix/Philippi match, but found this interview with Philippi after the match.

I texted a friend last night telling him Fix lost and the first response from him was he couldnt find anything on Flo and instead had to Google search for information. You dont think it's odd that arguablely the biggest name in colligate wrestling coverage and many people's "go to site" for wrestling news has NOTHING on the topic on its site?

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I've noticed a lot of recent matches being posted on youtube. A good number under "Big Ten Network".  If you can't find the match on FLO you might be able to find it there.

Couldn't find the Fix/Philippi match, but found this interview with Philippi after the match.

I'm not complaining about the match not being on flowrestling (I have to write out flowrestling specifically because nit pickers will bring up flo is more than wrestling.) They may not have the rights to show video of the event, but if its news regarding one of college wrestling biggest stars/names suffering a loss there should be SOMETHING on the site. Askren touched on this in one of his podcasts recently. It's almost as if it wasnt covered my Flo, it didnt happen st all... an area in which they can improve.

8 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Ok Flowrestling not Flo. ONE of their main functions is reporting wrestling news. Not their main function. Is that better? Or do you think they should just ignore big match results like this?

This isn’t correct. Their business model revolves around building their subscription base. The content outside of live events is supplemental. They aren’t a news site. Their news is built to increase video subscriptions. Nobody is paying $15/month for just written content from Flo. 

I don’t want them to ignore any wrestling news, but it isn’t their responsibility to do anything that isn’t driving revenue. They aren’t a wrestling news non-profit.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I'm not complaining about the match not being on flowrestling (I have to write out flowrestling specifically because nit pickers will bring up flo is more than wrestling.) They may not have the rights to show video of the event, but if its news regarding one of college wrestling biggest stars/names suffering a loss there should be SOMETHING on the site. Askren touched on this in one of his podcasts recently. It's almost as if it wasnt covered my Flo, it didnt happen st all... an area in which they can improve.

It is leverage for them to get more video content. They have built a strong following. Wrestling teams that want the exposure Flo brings need to work with Flo. They built their brand and are now monetizing it. 

Flo doesn’t exist to build wrestling. They exist to make money and will build wrestling when it is beneficial to them. If I were a Flo investor, I would support this. I’m not, so I want more coverage, but I don’t blame them. 

One of flo's function is not to deliver wrestling news? They have many articles on their site.

I disagree. They deliver wrestling news daily. Yes their MAIN function is to get subscribers to watch wrestling content, but they also provide wrestling news. I work in SEO and digital marketing and they're missing out on a ton of web traffic by not covering this stuff. Web based business' wants as much web traffic as possible. And my suggestion is not about building wrestling, it's about building their own web presence.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This isn’t correct. Their business model revolves around building their subscription base. The content outside of live events is supplemental. They aren’t a news site. Their news is built to increase video subscriptions. Nobody is paying $15/month for just written content from Flo. 

I don’t want them to ignore any wrestling news, but it isn’t their responsibility to do anything that isn’t driving revenue. They aren’t a wrestling news non-profit.

It's certainly a fact they aren't non-profit. I understand the crux of what you are saying, however I also believe that customers who spend well over $100 a year for membership aren't being overly demanding when they want more complete coverage, if not in video at least in written columns.

I have to use many sources to follow wrestling. This forum is generally very knowledgeable, FLO is pretty decent, Intermat is pretty good for getting scores from. Would be nice to have a "one stop" for all my wrestling media needs.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Would be nice to have a "one stop" for all my wrestling media needs.

I provide a free daily newsletter that links to all the day’s top news worldwide. It’s curated, so I’m putting it in there. Worldwide stuff, major sites news, but also feature stories from newspapers around the country. That newsletter also links to the nation's most robust and comprehensive wrestling scoreboard, which I also provide free of charge to the wrestling community.

It gets sent every morning (unless I’m traveling) at 7 am Eastern. 

If anyone is looking for information on the non-flo matches look no further. Sign up for Bananatalks.wrestling where we will talk about wrestling while eating cheesecake. Daton fix will go round of 12 this year. Find out more about this take on Bananatalks.gov for more information.

Does Flo normally write individual articles on specific matches after the fact?  I feel like this is what they use FRL for. 

Flo streamed Fix/Suriano and I don't see an article about that either.  Not seeing any of these reaction type articles after matches - Flo covered or not - only previews before.   Mike Mal sometimes does technique breakdowns but that's a different thing.

Maybe I'm missing them but in general I don't think they do this and prefer to discuss these things after on FRL. 

4 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Does Flo normally write individual articles on specific matches after the fact?  I feel like this is what they use FRL for. 

Flo streamed Fix/Suriano and I don't see an article about that either.  Not seeing any of these reaction type articles after matches - Flo covered or not - only previews before.   Mike Mal sometimes does technique breakdowns but that's a different thing.

Maybe I'm missing them but in general I don't think they do this and prefer to discuss these things after on FRL. 

They dont. Which is why I'm making the suggestion that they do. It would strengthen/increase their sites web traffic volume.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Well OK, but I feel like you are moving the goal posts - the thread was starting attacking Flo for having a double standard in terms of coverage.  Not having an article on this match has nothing to do if they covered it or not, because it's not the type of thing they do.