Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Fix vs Phillippi - Flo coverage..

Just now, Gantry said:

Well OK, but I feel like you are moving the goal posts - the thread was starting attacking Flo for having a double standard in terms of coverage.  Not having an article on this match has nothing to do if they covered it or not, because it's not the type of thing they do. 

Absolutely not an attack on Flo. I start off by saying I'm a huge fan and supporter of flo.

You put in your original post " but my one criticism of Flo is that it seems like if they're not covering/broadcasting a certain event.. they almost act like it didnt happen... " - which has nothing to do with Fix/Phillippi coverage.  Fine it's not an attack but you framed this thread as a double standard in coverage, when it isn't. 

If you want to bring up that they should have more coverage/articles like this, then that's fine but that's not how it was originally framed or how the discussion was steered. 

Just now, Gantry said:

You put in your original post " but my one criticism of Flo is that it seems like if they're not covering/broadcasting a certain event.. they almost act like it didnt happen... " - which has nothing to do with Fix/Phillippi coverage.  Fine it's not an attack but you framed this thread as a double standard in coverage, when it isn't. 

If you want to bring up that they should have more coverage/articles like this, then that's fine but that's not how it was originally framed or how the discussion was steered. 

Flo is my go to site for wrestling information. A big upset took place and there was literally nothing on my favorite wrestling site. You can offer observations/criticisms of a site you love. It doesnt mean you're trying to bring them down or attack them.

Ben Askren mentioned something similar to this observation on his rudis podcast regarding results from the south beach duals as well. As a loyal flo fan I think it's a missed opportunity for additional content and web traffic they're losing out to their competition. As a for profit wrestling media company they're always looking for ways to grow their business/follower base (not grow the sport for those of you who want to say it's not their job to grow the sport). Post info/results about events they dont cover AFTER the event has taken place. Getting as much web traffic as possible will increase their chances of increasing their subscriber base. 

11 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Do you agree or disagree that at times if they dont cover an event, it feels like the event never took place?

I absolutely feel that way regarding AWL in Team Dake vs Team Taylor.

11 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It's not Okie states job to report on Pitts victories nor grow the sport of wrestling. 

Their article didn't even mention that he wrestled. Had Kaid at 133.

image.png.157fa565fb615fc2545ee8eb09a9c7f5.png

They should at least know the line-up.

Edited by PAFAN01

12 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Flo is my go to site for wrestling information. A big upset took place and there was literally nothing on my favorite wrestling site. You can offer observations/criticisms of a site you love. It doesnt mean you're trying to bring them down or attack them. 

I already conceded that it wasn't an attack and I shouldn't have used that word.  My bad there, 100%...   But to me you are still moving the goal posts.  Never said you can't offer criticism, I'm not debating that nor have I in any of my posts.   If I gave that impression then I didn't mean to.

You framed the thread from the original post as a double standard in coverage, when it wasn't. They wouldn't have written about Fix/Phillippi had they covered the event as well, instead saving it for FRL.   That's the issue I have, nothing more nothing less.  Agree more coverage in that regard would be nice and I also agree that sometimes they ignore events they don't cover.   But in this match a double standard doesn't apply, so I'll bow out at this point as I don't even think we're disagreeing on anything at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I already conceded that it wasn't an attack and I shouldn't have used that word.  My bad there, 100%...   But to me you are still moving the goal posts.  Never said you can't offer criticism, I'm not debating that nor have I in any of my posts.   If I gave that impression then I didn't mean to.

You framed the thread from the original post as a double standard in coverage, when it wasn't. They wouldn't have written about Fix/Phillippi had they covered the event as well, instead saving it for FRL.   That's the issue I have, nothing more nothing less.  Agree more coverage in that regard would be nice and I also agree that sometimes they ignore events they don't cover.   But in this match a double standard doesn't apply, so I'll bow out at this point as I don't even think we're disagreeing on anything at this point. 

FRL comes out usually every Tuesday and Thursday. Match took place Saturday. Their site gets updated with new content/information several times daily. That's a long time to wait for a wrestling media company to discuss a pretty big result in the wrestling world. 

As for them not making follow up posts of event that they do cover, you're wrong. Immediately after the Iowa Rutgers dual there were posts on Desanto beating Suriano with the tag line "here's how".

Now imagine if they made a post/write up saying "Phillippi beats Fix, heres how." That would not just acknowledge the match took place, but also drive more web traffic from non-flo subscribers to their site via search engines thus increasing their possible fan/subscriber bases. It has nothing to do eith growing the sport of wrestling. It has everything to do with growing their user base/for profit business.

No goal posts were moved here. They dont have anything on their side about the result and because of that it feels like the event never took place. This goes for the Phillippi result as well as other events in the past that they didnt have broadcast rights to.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I texted a friend last night telling him Fix lost and the first response from him was he couldnt find anything on Flo and instead had to Google search for information. You dont think it's odd that arguablely the biggest name in colligate wrestling coverage and many people's "go to site" for wrestling news has NOTHING on the topic on its site?
He didn't dig real deep - the match results were posted under "Results" not too long after the dual ended.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He wasnt looking for a box score of the dual.
"I texted a friend last night telling him Fix lost and the first response from him was he couldnt find anything on Flo"

Sorry - I interpreted this to mean he couldn't find ANYTHING on Flo and I was simply pointing out that the box score was there that at least showed a final score of that match.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk