WillieBoy

3 years or 4 til ISU tops Iowa?

Iowa State has a long road ahead of it but the signs of a program on the rise are looking good.

Iowa is moribund, almost on life support as to being the top dog in the sport these days.

Brands is not looking too good these either. Combative and entertaining and was one hell of a competitor on the mat - his antics are

not producing Titles. Iowa is flat in so many ways and ISU is on the rise.

So, Three - or Four years til Iowa State overtakes Iowa and once again becomes the top wrestling program in the State? Before Gable

went to Iowa to join Gary Kurdlemeier on the coaching staff ISU was THE program in the State. Will they do it again?

17 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Who else is in their current pipeline?  Gomez is their current "star", in my opinion.  David Carr could be their transformational component, but they need 5-6 more of that calibre, simultaneously. 

125: Mackal  wrestles through 2021

133: Gomez wrestles through 2022

141: Parker wrestles through 2021, Ryan Anderson will fight for his spot, probably in two years (2021). He can fill in at 149 too

149: Degan wrestled through 2021

157: David Carr through 2023

165: Have a few redshirts but need to recruit here, or bump the leper’s part of the lineup up 1 and slot Anderson in

174: Coleman wrestles through 2022. I’d say same level as Mackall  could turn out to be a point scorer  right now qualifier level.

184: Colbray but I think he bumps up and Shapiro takes over. Shapiro is qualifier level right now during his redshirt year. Could end up being very good

197: Colbray through next season. Need to tecruit

hvwt: couple options. Could end up being fine 

This is not a team that beats Iowa at NCAAs. Could have 3 AAs this year and maybe even 5 (unlikely) next year, but Iowa has 6 likely AAs this year and 7 or 8 next year. 

ISU will need to get 3 more blue chippers and they can do it. Gomez, Carr, Anderson could all be title contenders in 2-3 years. Add 2-3 more hammers like that and they can beat Iowa, but that’s a lot of ifs.  

2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Iowa is moribund, almost on life support as to being the top dog in the sport these days.

Brands is not looking too good these either. 

Such a weird thing to read when you consider that without the Kemmerer injury, Iowa has 10 ranked guys in their lineup and are young.

Housebuye’s anslysis is fair, and continued progress must be made in recruiting for the Cyclones to reach the podium at nationals.  But there is something special going on in Ames in the form of a transformative culture; and Dresser demonstrates the professionalism and class that will appeal to top tier takent( both during their wrestling years and beyond).  The future at Iowa State is very bright, and they may reach the top tier sooner than many think. 

Didn't Desanto just beat Suriano?  Didn't the Hawks just spank a solid Rutgers team and win the Midlands?  Iowa isn't going to win NCAA's but they're still among the best teams in the country.  ISU appears to be improving but they have a long way to go.

Well the Cyclones do look like they have a lot of great young wrestlers, and it is entirely possible that they could overtake the Hawkeyes at some point here in the near future, but a lot depends on, if the Brands Bros., can recruit and keep pace with Dresser. After that it will be all about which staff can develop their athletes better. 

There are a lot of programs on the rise. Several are putting big money into their facilities. College wrestling is growing. Positive things have happened to these teams:

West Virginia 

Minnesota 

Ohio State

Rutgers

NC State 

Frenso State 

Wisconsin

Lock Haven 

Iowa State

I’m sure a few have been missed.

wouldn't it be exhausting to be terry or tom and have to act mad and intense all the time?  I bet their whole schtick has a pretty short shelf life when you wrestle for The Tom and Terry Show. They are grouchy little sawed off short horns.  Iowa needs a coach who can lead them back to their glory days and its not tom.

58 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

wouldn't it be exhausting to be terry or tom and have to act mad and intense all the time?  I bet their whole schtick has a pretty short shelf life when you wrestle for The Tom and Terry Show. They are grouchy little sawed off short horns.  Iowa needs a coach who can lead them back to their glory days and its not tom.

I see your point but not sure you are correct about Brands. He is a combination of an old school/new school coach. He has the respect of his wrestlers. He certainly is an intense person. There are more really good teams now. That explains a lot.  

5 hours ago, DrStrange said:

They really aren’t. I’m not a big Iowa fan (I watch virtually every Iowa dual but wouldn’t say I’m more of an Iowa fan than the OSU or PSU). 

Listen to interviews with them. They are level headed guys off the mat. They sound like great fathers, they don’t push their children to wrestle, they support their decisions, they talk about their team weaknesses and how to get better, etc. seem like good guys who love wrestling

9 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Didn't Desanto just beat Suriano?  Didn't the Hawks just spank a solid Rutgers team and win the Midlands?  Iowa isn't going to win NCAA's but they're still among the best teams in the country.  ISU appears to be improving but they have a long way to go.

Winning the Midlands isn't that impressive anymore. Rutgers isn't a top 10 team. Yes, the Hawkeyes are still one of the top teams in the country.

The Hawkeyes used to have higher aspirations than just winning the Midlands and beating Rutgers and merely making the podium at NCAAs. I think the Brands boys are fun, entertaining guys, and not bad coaches, but they certainly aren't up to Iowa Hawkeye (aka "Gable") standards. It's time for the Hawkeyes to move on. Hell, I'd give Metcalf a shot at HC. He's been doing a great job at ISU and he's loved by the Hawkeye fans.

Winning the Midlands isn't that impressive anymore. Rutgers isn't a top 10 team. Yes, the Hawkeyes are still one of the top teams in the country.
The Hawkeyes used to have higher aspirations than just winning the Midlands and beating Rutgers and merely making the podium at NCAAs. I think the Brands boys are fun, entertaining guys, and not bad coaches, but they certainly aren't up to Iowa Hawkeye (aka "Gable") standards. It's time for the Hawkeyes to move on. Hell, I'd give Metcalf a shot at HC. He's been doing a great job at ISU and he's loved by the Hawkeye fans.
It's a different world in wrestling. Gable never had anything like a strong Penn State program to compete with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's a different world in wrestling. Gable never had anything like a strong Penn State program to compete with.

Iowa looks strong moving into the future and a contender.  Don't see anyone in the hole at PSU that has 3x champ potential, maybe Aaron Brooks (big if)...team race looking tighter in the near future

Edited by portajohn

21 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Iowa looks strong moving into the future and a contender.  Don't see anyone in the hole at PSU that has 3x champ potential, maybe Aaron Brooks (big if)...team race looking tighter in the near future

Yeah...we thought the same thing when Ruth, Taylor and Wright were finishing up and Retherford, Nolf, Nickal and Joseph were arriving.  

20 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Yeah...we thought the same thing when Ruth, Taylor and Wright were finishing up and Retherford, Nolf, Nickal and Joseph were arriving.  

I'm a PSU homer but other than Joseph not really shocked by the performance of the other three you mentioned.  PSU is still looking good with the up & comers (Beard, RBY, Teasdale, Brooks, Joe Lee, Seth Nevills). A lot to be excited about.  But only Brooks and Beard are guys I think are potentially the next greats.

35 minutes ago, portajohn said:

I'm a PSU homer but other than Joseph not really shocked by the performance of the other three you mentioned.  PSU is still looking good with the up & comers (Beard, RBY, Teasdale, Brooks, Joe Lee, Seth Nevills). A lot to be excited about.  But only Brooks and Beard are guys I think are potentially the next greats.

Everyone knew Retherford was outstanding.  Same for Nolf.  But Nickal and Joseph?  

11 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Everyone knew Retherford was outstanding.  Same for Nolf.  But Nickal and Joseph?  

Absolutely Nickal.  He was also a freestyle standout.  Took out Mark Hall twice in HS.  Only knock on him was he wrestled in Texas.

17 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

2x PA champ

Ok, I thought Askren and Dernlan were comparing Cenzo and Marsteller and saying they were both PA 4 timers.  Perhaps I misremembered what they said or it’s possible that they relayed bad information.

https://therudis.com/rudis-wrestling-podcast-22-southern-scuffle-and-midlands/

at 39:38 Dernlan says they were both 4x PA champs.  

Edited by WF89