Sign in to follow this  
LHU125

Injuries and Season Length

RPBOBCAT is correct on much of what he says. I wrestled competitively for 18 years (70s - 90s) and suffered only a very seriously sprained ankle (sophomore year from buddy carries) and the routine fat lips / black eyes. We wrestled started practicing about 1 month before the season officially began and for about 1 month after which made up about 6 months of hard wrestling. We lifted and did a loft of lighter physical activities the rest of the year with more than a month of complete downtime. 

In all those years I only remember a few guys getting seriously hurt in matches. The vast majority of injuries came from practice. 

Hard practices and competition on a year round basis only benefits a very few but it is here to stay. 

I've never stepped foot in a college room to watch a practice, so there might be some ignorance in my opinion.

Perhaps wrestling could take a similar approach to Football, with only a day or two involving live, intense wrestling. Leave the rest of the week to technique, play wrestling, working out. (Maybe most programs are already doing this) I feel like the season started earlier than ever this year, but it also seems like across the board guys are wrestling less matches. 10 years ago when ESPN would show the graphics of the finals guys records would be 37-0, 35-3 etc. Could wrestling offer a "pre-season" where the month of November matches don't count towards your record and guys can wrestle up a weight class? This might be tough with guys needing to start descending already anyway.

Edited by gopher_fan_90

4 hours ago, LHU125 said:

I would take a nearly 40 year old study with a grain of salt in today's current wrestling climate. Weight loss is far more controlled and regulated now in addition to being discouraged. 

Regardless, I do understand the logistical hurdles and of course this hypothetical scenario of shortening the season would have unexpected results. 

I do find it interesting they have reduced the maximum number of matches per day versus which has caused A LOT of missed or undetermined matches in order to reduce injury. 

Just makes me think a dynamic change is not as far away as we may think. 

Good points. 

The season is as short or as long as a coach wants to make it.

The reality is that with the club workaround the competition limits means nothing.

An athlete can qualify for the NCAAs without wrestling a single match prior to their conference tournament and can get an at-large bid with only ten matches during the season.

The regular season has no team events that have any impact on a team's shot at a national title.

Division 1wrestling is the ultimate grind.

Injuries are going to happen, no way around it.

less cutting weight, limiting matches will not significantly lesson the number of injuries.

No way can you lessen the amount of live wrestling to 1-2 times a week.

For the most part teams will wrestle in 1-2 tournaments prior to January, then mostly dual meets until the conference tournament. They then get 2 weeks off to get as fresh as they can before Nationals.

Coaches can limit the amount of matches their wrestlers get. I think most wrestlers will get close to 40 matches a season. breaks down to roughly 8 matches a month. I don't think that is too much. It is wrestling after all. 

If you believe there are more injuries now (and I'm not certain that there are), I would say that guys today get into far crazier scrambles than back in the day.  These young guys today are freakishly amazing.  Far more stress on ligaments, tendons, and major joints in general.

We got injured plenty in the day.  My junior year in college we started with eight guys in my weight class and by the end of the year only one man was left standing and he wasn't the best of the lot.  I'm pretty busted up now from so many injuries (two neck surgeries with three vertebrae fused, three knee surgeries, hip surgery, shoulder reconstruction, elbow surgery, nose surgery, plus small things like broken fingers).  I would say anyone exiting the game after a decade or more of competing without a major injury is very blessed.

Knock on wood, the youth club I coach has very few injuries but we spend a lot of time warming up and working on flexibility.

Edited by Coach_J
grammar

40 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

If you believe there are more injuries now (and I'm not certain that there are), I would say that guys today get into far crazier scrambles than back in the day.  These young guys today are freakishly amazing.  Far more stress on ligaments, tendons, and major joints in general.

We got injured plenty in the day.  My junior year in college we started with eight guys in my weight class and by the end of the year only one man was left standing and he wasn't the best of the lot.  I'm pretty busted up now from so many injuries (two neck surgeries with three vertebrae fused, three knee surgeries, hip surgery, shoulder reconstruction, elbow surgery, nose surgery, plus small things like broken fingers).  I would say anyone exiting the game after a decade or more of competing without a major injury is very blessed.

Knock on wood, the youth club I coach has very few injuries but we spend a lot of time warming up and working on flexibility.

I agree. Just watching a guy like Yanni scramble and sit the corner into that hyper-extended knee position of his makes my knees hurt.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

I would say anyone exiting the game after a decade or more of competing without a major injury is very blessed.

While conceptually I agree there can be extenuating circumstances. A really great rider will be less likely to get hurt. That was my MO and in all my years I never left or missed a match because I was injured. Sick a couple of times, but never for an injury.

One other item , we did not have the neutral choice option when I wrestled, it was top / bottom only. Thinking about it I kind of feel there were more reversals back then and less escapes. Does anybody else have that impression? 

The thing which took it's tool on me was all the running to cut weight. I didn't notice it then but now my hips feel it every day. 

17 minutes ago, Zebra said:

The thing which took it's tool on me was all the running to cut weight. I didn't notice it then but now my hips feel it every day. 

There we go again...that weight cutting thing....

Shortening it probably wouldn't make much difference.  Most of the big hitters aren't going to be sitting around taking it easy during the time a shorter season would lop off. And it's always nice to have dream scenarios about how long the season is, but chances are you will continue to have them forever, as they remain just dreams.  The D-l wrestlers who are the most likely to come out on top have already wrestled most of their lives -- and most likely during their early formative years:  how hard is that on their bodies?  If someone begins wrestling when he is 4 years old and continues into college,  how much more can a normal body take before it begins to break down?   Maybe drop some of the excess collegiate years -- instead of adding 1 or 2  on top of the already arduous 4.  Bag the redshirts and other extensions, a lot of which is really just extending fantasy time anyway.  When you get some man-beast  who is on his 6th year wrestling a true freshman, it's a ridiculous scenario period -- and gives a lot of these guys the idea that wrestling can be an actual job, and isn't going to end, leaving them with a low paying assistant job or a job doing something they could have done without even going to college.  That's a scenario that is worse than any injury caused by the season being too long. 

Edited by Paddleman
because

29 minutes ago, Zebra said:

we did not have the neutral choice option when I wrestled

10 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

To be fair this guy didn't even have a neutral option back then...I can't imagine descent plans were a thing.  

27 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

While I have serious issues with some weight-cutting practices and am a huge proponent of mat-side weigh ins, weight cutting was not the point of that comment. It was the excessive running. Had I had a sauna in my dorm room, or even at the end of the hall I would not have the hip issues. Other issues maybe but not the hips. 

17 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

To be fair this guy didn't even have a neutral option back then...I can't imagine descent plans were a thing.  

Decent plans, hell I sweated out 5 pounds in 2 1/2 hours my sophomore year of high school just for a dual meet against a total pud.