Sign in to follow this  
KSchlosser

PAC 12 Network - ASU vs OrSU

Got a chance to watch the Arizona State at Oregon State dual today as I was watching football live and have a few thoughts. Not a fan per say of either team but I record all of the college wrestling I can with the Dish sports package

1. Women's basketball game ran over seven minutes. Even with the delay the dual started at the begining of the broadcast with all matches. Wonder if the dual was scheduled to start a few minutes late or if they delayed the start because it was a national broadcast. Anyone in attendance know how it went down?

2. Zalesky has only had two freshmen national qualifiers at OrSU in 12 years as HC.

3. I really enjoyed Ken Chertow on the broadcast. Very knowledgable, great communicator, very enthusiastic. He is really able to talk strategy, situations, history, and give his impressions without a filter. Thought the SIDs and PAC 12 broadcst team did a great job providing prematch notes to the broadcasters as they worked a ton of background info on everything seemlessly into the broadcast and Ken added a lot of his general knowledge of the sport and rules. Ken talks a lot but it is not condescending to wrestling nerds but very educational for the casual fan. Ken and Rich Burk had great chemistry and played off each other well.

4. Riding time graphic was placed above the scores. Great to see the PAC 12 brass improving the broadcast. Would have liked to have seen the team scores shown a few more times though since they weren't keeping it on all the time any more.

5. Thought Shields at 165 started slow but came on strong as the match went on to earn the major.

6. In the 174 matchup, kc noted there was no video set up for challenges. Not sure why they couldn't use the broadcast video for this purpose.

7, Forgot Ian Miller is coaching at OrSU.

8. Thought 184 was a good match but a little disapointed that Coleman just conceded the td in ot. The coach and competitor in me would have liked to see him fight tooth and nail even if he only held on for five more seconds before giving up two. 

9. Austin Harris has a great beard. Wrestling needs more beards. Thought he could have scored at end of regulation and off the first pass in ot. Good finish by Grant with the double for the win.

10. Hall will be a 27 year old sixth year senior next season.

11. Thinking ahead to March curious if Steveson and Dhesi have wrestled before. Loved KC stating both wrestlers are stalling in the second. Daniels was dead at the end and thought he should have been given another stalling call to end it. 

12. Courtney did a good job of defending Bresser in the first and second but very few offensive attacks. Seemed like Bresser was content to do nothing in the last period with a 1-0. Courtney was the more active wrestler in the third and he still got called for stalling.... home cooking?

13. Was anyone surprised KC worked in some ads for his camps?

14. Willets-Crooks was a great match. Slow motion makes things seem closer than they are. I would have given a reversal in the second and not one plus two

15. Does Klackamas have a pipeline to OrSU? Heard they are wrestling them next weekend so they appear to have a great relationship. Got to be good for the pacific northwest.

Overall an enjoyable and competitive college dual with two one-point matches and two twos in regulation, three OT finals, and wrestlers fighting to save bonus in the other three matches. 

Edited by KSchlosser
never proofed

1 hour ago, KSchlosser said:

3. I really enjoyed Ken Chertow on the broadcast. Very knowledgable, great communicator, very enthusiastic. He is really able to talk strategy, situations, history, and give his impressions without a filter. Thought the SIDs and ESPN broadcst time did a great job providing prematch notes to the broadcasters as they worked a ton of background info on everything seemlessly into the broadcast and Ken added a lot of his general knowledge of the sport and rules. Ken talks a lot but it is not condescending to wrestling nerds but very educational for the casual fan. Ken and Rich Burk had great chemistry and played off each other well. 

Agreed, as a wrestling fan that never wrestled I always pick up good technique info from Chertow when he does a broadcast.  Sure he does name drop and humblebrag, but by and large he's a positive and I always learn something when he's behind the mic.

2 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

Got a chance to watch the Arizona State at Oregon State dual today as I was watching football live and have a few thoughts. Not a fan per say of either team but I record all of the college wrestling I can with the Dish sports package

1. Women's basketball game ran over seven minutes. Even with the delay the dual started at the begining of the broadcast with all matches. Wonder if the dual was scheduled to start a few minutes late or if they delayed the start because it was a national broadcast. Anyone in attendance know how it went down?

2. Zalesky has only had two freshmen national qualifiers at OrSU in 12 years as HC.

3. I really enjoyed Ken Chertow on the broadcast. Very knowledgable, great communicator, very enthusiastic. He is really able to talk strategy, situations, history, and give his impressions without a filter. Thought the SIDs and ESPN broadcst team did a great job providing prematch notes to the broadcasters as they worked a ton of background info on everything seemlessly into the broadcast and Ken added a lot of his general knowledge of the sport and rules. Ken talks a lot but it is not condescending to wrestling nerds but very educational for the casual fan. Ken and Rich Burk had great chemistry and played off each other well.

4. Riding time graphic was placed above the scores. Great to see the ESPN brass improving the broadcast. Would have liked to have seen the team scores shown a few more times though since they weren't keeping it on all the time any more.

5. Thought Shields at 165 started slow but came on strong as the match went on to earn the major.

6. In the 174 matchup, kc noted there was no video set up for challenges. Not sure why they couldn't use the broadcast video for this purpose.

8. Thought 184 was a good match but a little disapointed that Coleman just conceded the td in ot. The coach and competitor in me would have liked to see him fight tooth and nail even if he only held on for five more seconds before giving up two. 

9. Austin Harris has a great beard. Wrestling needs more beards. Thought he could have scored at end of regulation and off the first pass in ot. Good finish by Grant with the double for the win.

11. Thinking ahead to March curious if Steveson and Dhesi have wrestled before. Loved KC stating both wrestlers are stalling in the second. Daniels was dead at the end and thought he should have been given another stalling call to end it. 

12. Courtney did a good job of defending Bresser in the first and second but very few offensive attacks. Seemed like Bresser was content to do nothing in the last period with a 1-0. Courtney was the more active wrestler in the third and he still got called for stalling.... home cooking?

14. Willets-Crooks was a great match. Slow motion makes things seem closer than they are. I would have given a reversal in the second and not one plus two

15. Does Klackamas have a pipeline to OrSU? Heard they are wrestling them next weekend so they appear to have a great relationship. Got to be good for the pacific northwest.

Overall an enjoyable and competitive college dual with two one-point matches and two twos in regulation, three OT finals, and wrestlers fighting to save bonus in the other three matches. 

Not sure where #2 came from but off the top of my head Bresser, Willits, Griego and Dhesi all qualified as freshman in the past 5 years. Mangrum, Sakaguci, Meeks and Delgado did as well. Probably others...but 2 is inaccurate. 

Edited by Idaho

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Not sure where #2 came from but off the top of my head Bresser, Willits, Griego and Dhesi all qualified as freshman in the past 5 years. Mangrum, Sakaguci, Meeks and Delgado did as well. Probably others...but 2 is inaccurate. 

Thought that was what was said on the broadcast. Could it be true freshmen? I admittedly don't follow Oregon State the way I do the Big Ten or MAC.  Was just typing random thoughts or observations as I watched so since it was number two it had to be very early in the broadcast.

Edited by KSchlosser

11 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

3. I really enjoyed Ken Chertow on the broadcast. Very knowledgable, great communicator, very enthusiastic. He is really able to talk strategy, situations, history, and give his impressions without a filter. Thought the SIDs and ESPN broadcst team did a great job providing prematch notes to the broadcasters as they worked a ton of background info on everything seemlessly into the broadcast and Ken added a lot of his general knowledge of the sport and rules. Ken talks a lot but it is not condescending to wrestling nerds but very educational for the casual fan. Ken and Rich Burk had great chemistry and played off each other well.

4. Riding time graphic was placed above the scores. Great to see the ESPN brass improving the broadcast. Would have liked to have seen the team scores shown a few more times though since they weren't keeping it on all the time any more.

No offense intended here (sincerely) but what does ESPN have to do with any of this?  The dual - as a PAC 12 wrestling dual - was televised by the PAC 12 Network.  Not ESPN.  That dual was televised on the Arizona and the Washington PAC 12 channels on Sunday night.   And there was no women's BB game prior to that on either of those two channels.  One of the two channels had a men's BB game that went a couple of minutes long but the other channel had the match from the beginning to the end.   Or are you saying here that ESPN purchased the television rights to that dual from the PAC 12 Network to show it the day after it actually occurred.  If so - then I missed that - but did watch it live on Sunday night.

I too noticed that the PAC 12 Network - which actually televised the match - has added a riding time clock (when appropriate) at the top of the score screen.  That was a first I believe as I've watched PAC 12 wrestling on the PAC 12 network for the last two seasons and had never seen that before until Sunday night.  In the past the announcers referenced riding time but there was no actual display of the riding time as I recall.  It definitely a plus that they have added that to the televised PAC 12 wrestling matches.

Shields did start a bit slow but came on in the last two periods and dominated as one would expect given Shields' ranking.

As to the comment about challenges - the announcers, as I heard them live, said they didn't know if there was a video challenge systems set up.  Nothing definitive was said about that but I have seen video challenges on PAC 12 matches in the past so I have no reason to believe there wasn't a video challenge system in place for that match.

At 184 lbs Coleman - very simply and quite clearly - simply ran out of gas in OT.  Credit Petersen as he got stronger as the match wore on - plus he was wrestling up TWO weight classes.  He's competed this season at 165 lbs, 174 lbs and 184 lbs.  

MY QUESTION is where is Kordell Norfleet?  He hasn't competed since Dec. 14th and his last match - as far as I can tell - did not end with him being injured.   And speaking of ASU wrestlers who are out of the lineup.........the announcers referenced that Ryan Milhof was upset that the ASU coaches chose to go with Courtney vs. Bresser at 125 lbs.  And that Milhof was there and available for the dual with Oregon State - he too hasn't competed since Dec. 14th.   That being said Courtney wrestled a very good match vs. # 3 ranked Bresser and if not for a very questionable 2nd stalling call against Courtney that match would have gone to OT.

MY QUESTION is where is Kordell Norfleet?  He hasn't competed since Dec. 14th and his last match - as far as I can tell - did not end with him being injured. 

Norfleet hurt his neck in practice the week of the Michigan match.

13 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

Today happens to be Tanner Hall's birthday, so happy birthday to him!

13 hours ago, Gantry said:

Agreed, as a wrestling fan that never wrestled I always pick up good technique info from Chertow when he does a broadcast.  Sure he does name drop and humblebrag, but by and large he's a positive and I always learn something when he's behind the mic.

He has built himself a living hell.  He has to try to convince wrestlers today that he is still the man and to come to his camps.  If I was still talking about what I did in the 80's.....

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

No offense intended here (sincerely) but what does ESPN have to do with any of this?  The dual - as a PAC 12 wrestling dual - was televised by the PAC 12 Network.  Not ESPN.  That dual was televised on the Arizona and the Washington PAC 12 channels on Sunday night.   And there was no women's BB game prior to that on either of those two channels.  One of the two channels had a men's BB game that went a couple of minutes long but the other channel had the match from the beginning to the end.   Or are you saying here that ESPN purchased the television rights to that dual from the PAC 12 Network to show it the day after it actually occurred.  If so - then I missed that - but did watch it live on Sunday night.

I too noticed that the PAC 12 Network - which actually televised the match - has added a riding time clock (when appropriate) at the top of the score screen.  That was a first I believe as I've watched PAC 12 wrestling on the PAC 12 network for the last two seasons and had never seen that before until Sunday night.  In the past the announcers referenced riding time but there was no actual display of the riding time as I recall.  It definitely a plus that they have added that to the televised PAC 12 wrestling matches.

You are absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong and I changed the title to reflect that.

6 hours ago, Bronco said:

Shields did start a bit slow but came on in the last two periods and dominated as one would expect given Shields' ranking.

As to the comment about challenges - the announcers, as I heard them live, said they didn't know if there was a video challenge systems set up.  Nothing definitive was said about that but I have seen video challenges on PAC 12 matches in the past so I have no reason to believe there wasn't a video challenge system in place for that match.

At 184 lbs Coleman - very simply and quite clearly - simply ran out of gas in OT.  Credit Petersen as he got stronger as the match wore on - plus he was wrestling up TWO weight classes.  He's competed this season at 165 lbs, 174 lbs and 184 lbs.  

MY QUESTION is where is Kordell Norfleet?  He hasn't competed since Dec. 14th and his last match - as far as I can tell - did not end with him being injured.   And speaking of ASU wrestlers who are out of the lineup.........the announcers referenced that Ryan Milhof was upset that the ASU coaches chose to go with Courtney vs. Bresser at 125 lbs.  And that Milhof was there and available for the dual with Oregon State - he too hasn't competed since Dec. 14th.   That being said Courtney wrestled a very good match vs. # 3 ranked Bresser and if not for a very questionable 2nd stalling call against Courtney that match would have gone to OT.

The National Pac-12 Network had the UCLA-USC women's basketball game immediately prior to the ASU/OSU dual, and that game was the one that ran long that was being referenced.

6 hours ago, westfan said:

MY QUESTION is where is Kordell Norfleet?  He hasn't competed since Dec. 14th and his last match - as far as I can tell - did not end with him being injured. 

Norfleet hurt his neck in practice the week of the Michigan match.

Thanks for the response to my question here.  I appreciate that.   Do you know if they are just going to redshirt him this season then?  Or is he expected to be back in the lineup this season?

4 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

You are absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong and I changed the title to reflect that.

No worries mate...............I foolishly thought the ASU vs. OSU dual was on FRIDAY night..........then I checked the schedules on both schools websites which clearly said it was on SUNDAY night and somehow I convinced myself it was going to be on SATURDAY night - i even posted a message here about how ticked I was that it wasn't going to be on the PAC 12 Network on SATURDAY.  Some days the brain just goes it's own way I guess.

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The National Pac-12 Network had the UCLA-USC women's basketball game immediately prior to the ASU/OSU dual, and that game was the one that ran long that was being referenced.

Thanks for the explanation on that.  I don't know anything about a National PAC 12 Network.  I access the PAC 12 Network by streaming Sling TV and that access provides six PAC 12 channels.  The Arizona Channel (Arizona & Arizona State events), the Mountain Channel (Colorado & Utah events), the Washington Channel (Washington & Washington State events), the Oregon Channel (Oregon & Oregon State events), the Bay Area Channel (Stanford and California events), etc.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Thanks for the response to my question here.  I appreciate that.   Do you know if they are just going to redshirt him this season then?  Or is he expected to be back in the lineup this season? 

Norfleet wrestled 10 matches and 4 duals, that's likely too much to qualify for a redshirt. 

At the time of the Michigan match the person who told me about the injury said it wasn't serious. I was surprised he wasn't back in the lineup last week. Perhaps we'll see him this weekend.

9 hours ago, DrStrange said:

He has built himself a living hell.  He has to try to convince wrestlers today that he is still the man and to come to his camps.  If I was still talking about what I did in the 80's.....

When he is not talking about wrestling for those first 10 minutes, he is selling his products and building his pyramid business.

13 hours ago, Gantry said:

Norfleet wrestled 10 matches and 4 duals, that's likely too much to qualify for a redshirt. 

I do not - admittedly - know what the rule is for redshirting in wrestling after one has competed for a portion of a season but I do know that in football an NCAA player can now play as many as 4 games and still redshirt, i.e., a full one third of the regular season.    If that translates to wrestling then 10 matches is NOT too many matches as many wrestlers have more than 30 matches in a season.  Maybe someone else can detail the rule on redshirting in NCAA wrestling after they have competed in a season.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

All matches must be in the first half of the season. 30% of allowable dates (not matches) so the max allowable dates is 17 so 5.1 (I believe they still round to 6).

Thanks for the info on that.   As that pertains to Kordell Norfleet all of his matches this season occurred prior to Dec. 15th so check that column.   He has competed in 2 one day tournaments and 4 dual matches.  So if they do in fact round up to 6 then he would still qualify - right?

5 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Thanks for the info on that.   As that pertains to Kordell Norfleet all of his matches this season occurred prior to Dec. 15th so check that column.   He has competed in 2 one day tournaments and 4 dual matches.  So if they do in fact round up to 6 then he would still qualify - right?

I think so. And I think that a couple of the dates were back to back which sometimes only count as one for the weekend- which would eliminate the 5.1 round up question anyway.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:15 PM, RichB said:

Don't know much about this dual, but glad to see someone else distinguishes the OSUs by OrSU, OkSU, + OhSU, not the silly tOSU

I am more inclined to go ALL CAPS with OHST, OKST, & ORST, but I, too, appreciate the distinguishment.

2 hours ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I am more inclined to go ALL CAPS with OHST, OKST, & ORST, but I, too, appreciate the distinguishment.

A COBOL programmer, which I was normally go all Caps, because Capitals are all. However, PC friendly languages allow lower case. Plus, in this case Caps indicate the first letter of a word.  So I guess in this case, a single S should indicate State, U University, C College. And I guess when it is a state, simply use the postal code - usually  pretty straightforward, except all the M states. (Pennsylvania is also a problem, Pa, not Pe{further complicated by Palau, which is now an independent nation under USA protection, but could have ended up as a territory like Guam, stil uses USA postal code PW). - So I guess Penn State is PSU, except there is Portland St U, so PaSU and PoSU, or maybe PorSU