BigTenFanboy

NCAA Champs who never won their conference

5 minutes ago, jstock said:

Nate Carr was a 3X NCAA Champ.  I know he lost to Monday in the Big 12 finals twice, not sure about the other year

Won Big8 first two years. Funny that Monday beat him twice in Big8 but lost to him in NCAA finals; Monday then lost in Big8 finals his last year before finally getting his NCAA title. 

Also, 3x undefeated NCAA champs:
McCready, Ardnt, VanBebber, Rex Perry,
& 3x one loss NCAA champs:
Flood, Henson, Hutton (mentioned above),
that's not even full 3x list but then could go to 2x and 1x list
 ;_;

I take it that there were no conference championships for Oklahoma state back then? I wonder when did they start wrestling in conference championships?

16 hours ago, Buckeyebison said:

Yep. Even though he won 2 NCAAs.

Is there any other multi NCAA champion who never won their conf championship?

Pretty sure that there are quite numerous ncaa champions not winning their conf champions. But multi ncaa champ without conf championship is very rare.

Waay back you have Chuck Jean w/2 NCAAs and two runnerups in Big 8. Dave Martin (OSU AD) and Reg Wicks (Navy coach, Ret.) were 1 xers and never conf champs.

Edited by Cooch1
more info

Ryan Bertin-UofM-2nd,3rd,2nd.2nd at B1G's.  Losing to Becker the 1st 2 and Tirapelle the next 2. 

NCAA's 6th(Becker took 1st),1st(Beat Tirapelle in Finals, who beat Becker in the semis),3rd(lost to Gentry in OT, who beat Tirapelle in the Finals) and 1st(that bracket got blown up with Gentry and Tirapelle not placing).

57 minutes ago, silver said:

Brester beat him his senior year and Nebraska won the big 12 that year, 2009 held in Lincoln

Varner won it in '08 over Weitzel and '10 against Brester. So, neither were seniors......

Edited by MSU158

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Ryan Bertin-UofM-2nd,3rd,2nd.2nd at B1G's.  Losing to Becker the 1st 2 and Tirapelle the next 2. 

NCAA's 6th(Becker took 1st),1st(Beat Tirapelle in Finals, who beat Becker in the semis),3rd(lost to Gentry in OT, who beat Tirapelle in the Finals) and 1st(that bracket got blown up with Gentry and Tirapelle not placing).

I was about to say he never won NCAAs but then I remember he pinned Johnny Hendricks.

21 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Which NCAA champs never won their conference tournaments?

Off the top of my head...

Nico Megaludis

Matt Brown

Spencer Lee (active)

Vincenzo Joseph (active)

Myles Martin (active)

Please add to the list...

Your list looks like you’ve been following wrestling for about 3 years because of psu winning. 

Jim Bennett of Yale won the 1975 NCAA tournament at 142 lbs as an unseeded wrestler.  He had finished second in the EIWA losing to Pat Sculley.  The next year he came in 4th at 150 in the weight that included Chuck Yagla, Pete Galea and Mark Churella.  He lost in the EIWA finals to Ken Wilson of Syracuse.

16 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Varner won it in '08 over Weitzel and '10 against Brester. So, neither were seniors......

Did you even read my link above? It clearly says 2009 big 12 tourney

Paul Donahoe got crushed by Hazewinkle in the Big 8/12 finals the year he won it. Not sure if he won a conference title his junior or senior year.

Edited by mob

1 hour ago, silver said:

Did you even read my link above? It clearly says 2009 big 12 tourney

the topic here is NCAA champs who NEVER won their conference, not just guys who won NCAA in a year they didn't win conference. That happens pretty much every year. Last year had like 4 examples. 

1 hour ago, KTG119 said:

the topic here is NCAA champs who NEVER won their conference, not just guys who won NCAA in a year they didn't win conference. That happens pretty much every year. Last year had like 4 examples. 

Opps,