qc8223

Good thread on hawkeye report

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/frl-346-nomad-continuing-to-criticize-desanto-for-head-bouncing-lizak.260038/

There was actually a decent thread on hawkeye report the other day that changed my mind about the Desanto-Lizak fiacso. In the last two FRLs, Nomad repeatedly makes the claim that Desanto "bounced Lizak's head off the mat." As someone who watched the match live, this never jumped out at me as something wrong. However, after re-watching the video, it is clear that this did not occur. In fact, that was one of the mildest face mushes I've ever seen. I don't think Lizak's head even touches the mat, let alone bounces off of it. It goes without saying that the unsportsmanlike celebration afterward vs. Lizak and then again vs. Suriano should not be defended. However, I was surprised at how easily my eyes saw something that wasn't there based on my preconceived notion of Desanto as a wrestler, specifically my memory of the Micic match at NCAAs. A lot of people are going to continue to hate Desanto, and that's okay, but we should also acknowledge that despite these last two outbursts, his behavior has been much improved after a few months in Iowa City. We haven't seen the bizarre screaming during his matches and he has stopped wrestling at the whistle in every match. He handled his loss to Gomez admirably with no sore loser trash talk or physical altercation. Obviously, this is an extremely low bar, but it is progress. Hopefully, he continues to not push the envelope physically and eventually gains control of his emotions after big wins to avoid the unsportsmanlike taunting. I was very skeptical of his move to Iowa, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with his progress.

5 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/frl-346-nomad-continuing-to-criticize-desanto-for-head-bouncing-lizak.260038/

There was actually a decent thread on hawkeye report the other day that changed my mind about the Desanto-Lizak fiacso. In the last two FRLs, Nomad repeatedly makes the claim that Desanto "bounced Lizak's head off the mat." As someone who watched the match live, this never jumped out at me as something wrong. However, after re-watching the video, it is clear that this did not occur. In fact, that was one of the mildest face mushes I've ever seen. I don't think Lizak's head even touches the mat, let alone bounces off of it. It goes without saying that the unsportsmanlike celebration afterward vs. Lizak and then again vs. Suriano should not be defended. However, I was surprised at how easily my eyes saw something that wasn't there based on my preconceived notion of Desanto as a wrestler, specifically my memory of the Micic match at NCAAs. A lot of people are going to continue to hate Desanto, and that's okay, but we should also acknowledge that despite these last two outbursts, his behavior has been much improved after a few months in Iowa City. We haven't seen the bizarre screaming during his matches and he has stopped wrestling at the whistle in every match. He handled his loss to Gomez admirably with no sore loser trash talk or physical altercation. Obviously, this is an extremely low bar, but it is progress. Hopefully, he continues to not push the envelope physically and eventually gains control of his emotions after big wins to avoid the unsportsmanlike taunting. I was very skeptical of his move to Iowa, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with his progress.

It's called confirmation bias.

12 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Glad to see that the Iowa fanbase has taken a completely unbiased look in to the accusations against this Iowa wrestler and cleared him of all charges.

It's not biased to acknowledge that he didn't bounce his head off the mat, and most of the posts I've seen on HR about Desanto criticize his behavior. You can watch the video for yourself. Lizak's head doesn't even touch the mat.

27 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Glad to see that the Iowa fanbase has taken a completely unbiased look in to the accusations against this Iowa wrestler and cleared him of all charges.

Also that they can hear someone make a reference to an Iowa wrestler and NOT feel the need to defend them, something they almost always accuse PSU fans of doing. Oh wait!

So you are splitting hairs about whether Lizak’s head made contact with the mat?  I saw the match once on TV live.  I saw him push his face.  It didn’t register with me if the head then touched the mat or not, I just thought it was pretty bad sportsmanship to push his face.

And yes, he hasn’t tried a kimura on anyone yet this year, so technically that is progress.  

Edited by jchapman

3 hours ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Never let it be said that Iowa fans are smarter than BYU fans.

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I lol'd when i saw that someone in that thread looked up Nomad's high school record. 

Did you lol harder at the one mentioning Millburn’s 171 lber rallying back from a 6-5 deficit before decking Union’s Smith by pinfall?

3 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

It's called confirmation bias.

I recently read, “Thinking Fast and Slow” by Kahneman and found it fascinating.  Our brains are constantly playing tricks on us through bias.  Michael Lewis also wrote a great book about the Kahneman’s work with Tversky, “The Undoing Project.”  Another amazing book by one of my favorite authors.  

2 minutes ago, tommygun said:

I recently read, “Thinking Fast and Slow” by Kahneman and found it fascinating.  Our brains are constantly playing tricks on us through bias.  Michael Lewis also wrote a great book about the Kahneman’s work with Tversky, “The Undoing Project.”  Another amazing book by one of my favorite authors.  

Thinking Fast and Slow is one of my favorite books of the past few years. Nice mention. While you're on that topic, The 25 Cognitive Biases by Charles Holm is an excellent book on biases, although not nearly as well-written as Kahneman's.

37 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Thinking Fast and Slow is one of my favorite books of the past few years. Nice mention. While you're on that topic, The 25 Cognitive Biases by Charles Holm is an excellent book on biases, although not nearly as well-written as Kahneman's.

Thank you!   I’ll add it to my list.  

5 hours ago, qc8223 said:

It's not biased to acknowledge that he didn't bounce his head off the mat, and most of the posts I've seen on HR about Desanto criticize his behavior. You can watch the video for yourself. Lizak's head doesn't even touch the mat.

That may be true...but was he called for stalling for his head not touching the mat? 

I don't even think of the supposed bouncing of the head as the big problem. The problem is his complete inability to control his emotions on the mat. It is easy to imagine, given his track record and the recent outbursts, that there could be another dangerous situation like last year if he were to end up on the losing end in a high pressure situation like NCAAs. Imagine if he is facing Micic in the quarters or semis and is losing by 1 with 30 seconds to go. Can he contain himself if he can't get a takedown? I sure hope so. He is an exciting wrestler to watch, even if you are rooting against him, but I need to see some more control before I'll believe he should be celebrated for not trying to break someones arm for almost a year.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Not everyone, student.

Do you even read your idiot posts?  This is clearly your comeback.

And you did start it "It's called confirmation bias."