Sign in to follow this  
tigerfan

RTC's - Wild, Wild West

http://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPlayer.jsp?videoId=1102175132&TIM=1548180225054

Check out Missouri's Associate Head Coach Alex Clemsen's comments regarding RTC's.  Starts at about the 28 min mark.

Without naming names or being directly critical, his sentiments were decidedly less than enthusiastic, it sounded to me.  He came about as close to crossing the line as he possibly could, without blatantly calling people cheaters.  I wonder if that RTC tension is widespread in D1 and polarizing the coaches? 

2 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

http://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPlayer.jsp?videoId=1102175132&TIM=1548180225054

Check out Missouri's Associate Head Coach Alex Clemsen's comments regarding RTC's.  Starts at about the 28 min mark.

Without naming names or being directly critical, his sentiments were decidedly less than enthusiastic, it sounded to me.  He came about as close to crossing the line as he possibly could, without blatantly calling people cheaters.  I wonder if that RTC tension is widespread in D1 and polarizing the coaches? 

The guys on FRL have mentioned this in ambiguous terms, too.  It sounds like it's pretty polarizing.

Near the end, he did in fact call out Sanderson and Brands by name regarding Natty Duals Championship.  He's emphatically passionate that they are simply wrong to oppose a true dual championship.  Clemsen is a pretty open, honest dude and doesn't seem to care much about the consequences of stating his beliefs.  Also a huge proponent of shifting to a first semester only sport.  Overall, it's a very interesting interview.

There is a ton of animosity towards howthe ncaa is handling rtcs. I’m not an expert on the rules but it seems like everyone agrees rules are being ignored by all of the rtcs. 

I get that they are frustrated as it consolidates talent at certain schools, but as a fan it is kind of awesome. College and international wrestling has never been better. 

I don’t know enough to have a real opinion. If anyone has additional info, please share

Reno Tournament of Champions?

The link doesn't play anything and I left it on for 15 minutes. Even with dial up internet I should have had a minute or two to play - but nothing other than some fantasy wrestling badge on a brown screen.

What is this post about?

1 minute ago, WillieBoy said:

Reno Tournament of Champions?

The link doesn't play anything and I left it on for 15 minutes. Even with dial up internet I should have had a minute or two to play - but nothing other than some fantasy wrestling badge on a brown screen.

What is this post about?

That's a pop up add.  You have to click continue in the lower right corner of the ad.  The interview will then load.  I think.

2 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Near the end, he did in fact call out Sanderson and Brands by name regarding Natty Duals Championship.  He's emphatically passionate that they are simply wrong to oppose a true dual championship.  

He is entitled to his opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion. Pretty sure Brands and Sanderson think he is wrong on how to decide the NCAA Championship.

Smart dude.  I am pretty fortunate to know some of the inside stuff on how RTC'S work and Clemson is correct to be concerned.

He mentioned transparency and regulation is needed and he is 100% correct.

6 minutes ago, Boompa said:

He mentioned transparency and regulation is needed and he is 100% correct

I agree but what sort of regulation/transparency would you expect to be put in place? Aside from physical trips to facilities to audits how do you "even the playing field" as far as some programs feeling cheated? 

Schools with an RTC have an advantage. Cael’s main goal is to win the NCAA tournament. A dual championship is a better indicator of which team is the best. Just because Sanderson had an outstanding college & International career, doesn’t mean he is right. 

48 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He is entitled to his opinion, but that is all it is, an opinion. Pretty sure Brands and Sanderson think he is wrong on how to decide the NCAA Championship.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows you are blowhard know-nothing, full of crap.

The thing that surprised me about RTCs was that high school kids were welcome. They have to meet certain standards such as placement at state or national tourneys, but those standards pretty much describe who has skills to progress to D1. So at the end of the day RTCs become more about recruiting and less about Senior level training.

The RTC's are a great resource for the Senior Level Wrestlers and of course the colleges that share these RTC's do have a advantage.  The greatest asset though for the Senior Level Wrestlers is the sponsorship and the ability to train without holding down a couple of part time jobs just to be able to compete for a few years after your College eligibility runs out.  

Personally this would have been huge when I was competing and it would have helped all of the guys that were competing around that time.  The year that the World Team Trials were held in Minneapolis I had to loan a old college teammate a singlet and help pay for his entry, because Sunkist dropped his sponsorship right before weigh-ins.  They told him that he had not competed in enough competitions to keep his sponsorship.  He tried to argue with them about having to work and not being able to compete very much because of not having enough funds.  So besides helping colleges with recruiting, I think the biggest aspect is the benefits that the RTC's provide the senior level athletes with great coaches, training partners, and the means to survive as they chase their World and Olympic Dreams.  

16 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I’m not an expert on the rules but it seems like everyone agrees rules are being ignored by all of the rtcs.  

The issue is that they are not violating the rules.  They are simply violating the spirit of the rules.

You see, the rule books have exemptions for Team USA and Olympic wrestling participation.  RTCs fall under Team USA.  The issue is that head coaches wear two hats.  They put on their school hat and they fall under NCAA rules.  They put on their RTC hat and they are outside of NCAA rules and fall under Team USA.

The issue is that college programs fund Olympic wrestling.  If we had people who cared about Olympic wrestling, this wouldn't be a problem.  But why do college programs fund Olympic wrestling?  Because it gives them an advantage.

So you have boosters at top programs paying Senior Level Athletes so that they can get additional training partners, coaches, and recruiting benefits for the college program.  You then have non-elite programs, many who are not even fully funded with a full allotment of scholarships, who are asking their boosters to fund them paying one Senior Level Athlete so that they can have an RTC and get an additional training partner and coach which will help with recruiting and development.  These are most often long shots that will never make a podium at a domestic freestyle event but they will help the college program.  But the money the boosters would have given to the program, possibly to expand scholarships and provide more funding for students or make it possible to attract a higher level athlete, is going to a workout partner for the team. 

It isn't uncommon for a wrestling booster to be asked to support three or four different groups that all serve the wrestling program but give a different unique advantage.

Pinnum: Perfectly stated.

I think it will continue this way until those who think in line with the have-nots get enough influence to convince the NCAA to put an end to it through some well-crafted argument dealing with competitive balance or even money.

One result of RTC’s is providing a place for guys who don’t accept that it is over a place to hang out for a while. Sure it’s good for USA wrestling and the local college teams, but for the guy that ends up going no where, delays his entry into the competitive job market. Of course the decision to hang on is a personal one, I would advise someone to learn as quickly as possible the chances of obtaining a World or Olympic medal. If the chance is remote, bail out and get a real job. 

RTCs will bring down D1 wrestling.  The rich get richer, the poor get worse.  Parity is good for the sport, these training centers will consolidate talent to the top 5 programs and thus will kill parity.  sport will be dead in 10 years because some idiots just can't take No for an answer.  Also, if we don't have a dual national championship, then all duals are pointless and should be canceled.  We are the only sport w 2 competition formats and thats stupid as ****.

People talk about lack of parity like it's a new thing... can someone please point out to me this golden age of parity when any team had a chance to win?  

RTC's will not bring down college wrestling, ruin the sport, or destroy competition.  What, was Mark Hall headed to CMU if not for that sweet sweet NLWC funding?