Sign in to follow this  
RealAmericanHero

Gardner-Webb v. Citadel: Order of wrestling...

I'm not sure how many of you saw the weight class order for the dual between GW and Citadel but they chose to pick the weight class order. Instead of drawing a weight and working sequentially, they chose which weight would be first, second, third and so on.

Cool concept in my mind. Probably took a little communication to start, but I don't hate on the idea.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I'm not sure how many of you saw the weight class order for the dual between GW and Citadel but they chose to pick the weight class order. Instead of drawing a weight and working sequentially, they chose which weight would be first, second, third and so on.

Cool concept in my mind. Probably took a little communication to start, but I don't hate on the idea.

Thoughts?

just go check out the earlier thread

Meh. I'm an oldtimer. I think you start at the lightest and go up until you finish at HWT. That stated, I'm not overly broken up if they start at say 157, then work their way around around the cape to 149.

Regarding NCAAs, I dislike the idea of finishing the last final at the "premiere weight". It diminishes the "importance" of all the other weights.  I understand wanting to put the "top match" on a pedestal, but I still don't like it much.

Just now, TobusRex said:

Meh. I'm an oldtimer. I think you start at the lightest and go up until you finish at HWT. That stated, I'm not overly broken up if they start at say 157, then work their way around around the cape to 149 (or any other weight). Long story short I'm there for the wrestling, so it ultimately doesn't matter.

Regarding NCAAs, I dislike the idea of finishing the last final at the "premiere weight". It diminishes the "importance" of all the other weights.  I understand wanting to put the "top match" on a pedestal, but I still don't like it much.

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Meh. I'm an oldtimer. I think you start at the lightest and go up until you finish at HWT. That stated, I'm not overly broken up if they start at say 157, then work their way around around the cape to 149.

RE: Starting at 157...I am not opposed to that. Maybe 174 or 184, but my reasoning does revolve around most 285 matches contain less action than a typical 141-184 match. Let's send the crowd home on a good note!

9 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

RE: Starting at 157...I am not opposed to that. Maybe 174 or 184, but my reasoning does revolve around most 285 matches contain less action than a typical 141-184 match. Let's send the crowd home on a good note!

Most heavyweight matches are pretty dull stallfests, at that. I was a 190 pounder as a SR in HS, and frequently asked to wrestle HWT by our coach. I was always stoked to be the last match of the evening when that happened :D Nothing like flattening a fatboy for the cherry on top :D

Since no one posted the actual order and results...

https://gwusports.com/news/2019/1/23/wrestling-dogs-drop-30-12-decision-at-the-citadel-wednesday-evening.aspx

133 – Charles Kearney (CIT) won by forfeit
125 – Anthony New (CIT) won by forfeit
149 – Selwyn Porter (CIT) def. Austin Reames (GWU) MD 16-3
174 – Kyle Homet (GWU) def. Kyle Kretzer (CIT) Dec. 9-6
141 – Blake Mulkey (GWU) won by forfeit
197 – Sawyer Root (CIT) def. JT Trautman (GWU) MD 22-8
184 – Martin Duane (CIT) def. Chase Emory (GWU) MD 11-2
285 – Michael McAleavey (CIT) def. Jeffery Linker (GWU) Dec. 9-5
165 – Tyler Marinelli (GWU) def. Dazjon Casto (CIT) Dec. 6-0
157 – Rian Burris (CIT) def. Evan Schenk (GWU) Dec. 7-4

The curious thing for me is that not all of the forfeits were put at the beginning of the dual.