Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Fewest Champs required to win NCAA Team title?

For the experts on tournament scoring (of which I'm not one) a question:

How few NCAA champs would be required to win the D1 title? I think 4 champs would be enough, provided they got lots of bonus points. 5 champs without bonus points.

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

How few NCAA champs would be required to win the D1 title? I think 4 champs would be enough, provided they got lots of bonus points. 5 champs without bonus points.

zero, see Minnesota

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm not scoring expert, but, if a team had 10 runner-ups, I'm pretty sure they'd win... so... zero champs?

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

What year?

An NCAA champ scores a minimum of 20 points.  A "dominant" NCAA champ (i.e. your Nolf's and Lee's of the world) usually score in the 26 - 28 range.  Assuming you have 4 dominant champs, and an average of 27 points per, you'd get 108.  

That's good enough to win occasionally.  So I'd say the answer is 4.  

3 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I'm not scoring expert, but, if a team had 10 runner-ups, I'm pretty sure they'd win... so... zero champs?

No, no, no. I'm not talking NO CHAMPS. Minnesota has already done that. I'm talking ONLY Champs....

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I know about them. My question meant how many CHAMPS, and ONLY Champs.

ok, then mathematically the minimum is 1

and there are a number of different ways it can occur mathematically but not going to spend the time to list them all, and no those scenarios are not likely, but you asked ;)

Edited by ionel

1973 Clarion had 3 champs, and no other points. They were D2 at the time, so no points, but if I remember it was said they would have been 6th? I think that would be about as low as practicable with 3 champs. 

3 is about right(but would require all other team points to be spread out quite a bit) and that would basically require all 3 to win every match by fall(excepting a pig tail).  The current format allows for 4 advancement points, 16 1st place points and 5 falls @ 2pts each.  So that would add up to 30+30+30=90.    Iowa won it with 96.5 in 2009 which is the lowest total for a Champion over the last decade.

Edited to add:  pig tails would allow for 2 points more per wrestler or 6 total.

Edited by MSU158

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

3 is about right and that would basically require all 3 to win every match by fall(excepting a pig tail).  The current format allows for 4 advancement points, 16 1st place points and 5 falls @ 2pts each.  So that would add up to 30+30+30=90.    Iowa won it with 96.5 in 2009 which is the lowest total for a Champion over the last decade.

Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't that mean you would need at least 4 champs to win?

3 hours ago, RichB said:

1973 Clarion had 3 champs, and no other points. They were D2 at the time, so no points, but if I remember it was said they would have been 6th? I think that would be about as low as practicable with 3 champs. 

SI article says they would have been 4th

https://www.si.com/vault/1973/03/19/576518/when-the-eagles-crowed

not exactly the same but Oklahoma one year had 3 champs, a runner-up, a 3rd place, and a 4th....and finished 3rd as a team, 22.75 out of 1st place.  

If we are talking 2019 you would need 5 champs to win this years championships....yes 5 champs. PSU will realistically have at least 3 champs (Joseph, Nolf, Nickelback)- very possible 4 with Hall. If PSU has 4 champs and still has 4-5 other guys still scoring points, then you can't win with the same number of champs as PSU with no other point scorers. Even if Hall is 2nd,  you still don't win with 4 champs given the amount of points the others will score. 

18 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't that mean you would need at least 4 champs to win?

Remember that Iowa State did not win with Cael, Heskett and Holker all placing #1.

Think you could do it with three if a few other big teams fall apart but four is more likely.