Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Lee vs Rivera: Who wins?

One of the Brands or maybe Gilman (if back from Siberia) could have thrown down a challenge to wrestle Rivera.

Or Rivera could have gone up to challenge DeSanto or The Bull.  

2 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

I just wish that there was some word on what it is. I mean in professional sports it’s not a huge secret when someone is sick. 

It's been widely rumored that he's recovering from mono.  It doesn't matter.  REvealing this 20 minutes before the dual is lame.

Simply can’t ask people to travel to these matches and pay for tickets/concessions/other ancillary expenses and keep doing this.  If the duals don’t matter and the hyped matchups occur less and less then why should anyone go?  

I don't believe mono has anything to do with it, Brands is just ducking.  That being said though, Lee would probably have to beat him twice, in this dual and at B10's, to get the #1 seed at nationals.  Ducking him today means that Lee will only have to beat him once at B10's to get the top seed.

Edited by KCMO2

I mean if Lee is really recovering from mono it’s possible that Friday was a trial balloon. So maybe he felt he felt like crap after Friday and they really didn’t know till today whether he’d be able to go. 

I'd love to see Northwestern win the dual if Brands is ducking Rivera. Why are these coaches so damned cowardly? I bet the wrestlers aren't the ones responsible for all the ducking. On the other hand if Lee IS gimpy, Brands SHOULD hold him out. Just because he wrestled Friday doesn't mean he isn't hurt, btw , he might've gotten tweaked last night! Perhaps we should withhold judgement until we know more.

I say this has zero to with illness of any kind, especially after his performance on Friday - and EVERYTHING to do with attitude and a lack of confidence. The Brands brothers are not equipped (my opinion) to real him back in if this is the case. To get back on track, to be reminded of the incredible champ he has become over the years, he needs family and close friends by his side. I wouldnt be surprised if he makes a b-line back to PA over the next 2 1/2 years. When Marsteller got into trouble, he left OK and went back home. When things didnt seem like a fit for Suriano at PS, he went back home. Those of you fortunate enough to has close relationships with your Moms and Dads might be able to relate. I know I do.

47 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

I don't believe mono has anything to do with it, Brands is just ducking.  That being said though, Lee would probably have to beat him twice, in this dual and at B10's, to get the #1 seed at nationals.  Ducking him today means that Lee will only have to beat him once at B10's to get the top seed.

I'm not sure what's going on with his health but I 100% agree with your assessment as far as having to beat him twice. Now he only needs to beat him once. Lose the battle but win the war in the end. A smart tactical move but certainly not great for the sport or fans. However watching Rivera beat up on a depleted Lee wouldn't be that fun either. Fingers crossed they meet again at Big Tens, both healthy with no excuses.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:04 PM, Idaho said:

I've got Rivera having a legit tweak....not wrestling Sunday...sending the boards into a frenzy....accused of ducking to save his seed. 

Looks like I just got the names mixed up. 

What happens if Rivera finishes the season undefeated, but gets hurt in the Big Ten semis and cannot compete against Lee in the finals? 

Does he get the number 1 seed at NCAAs?