Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Snyder to MMA after 2020?

In the past, Snyder has expressed an interest in pursuing MMA.  What are the chances he transitions to MMA after 2020?

On the one hand, in wrestling, he'll always have a huge target on his back. Additionally, while there is a bit of money in wrestling these days, it doesn't compare to what he may be able to make in MMA.

But on the other hand, with three golds, he's getting close to Burroughs's, Baumgartner's, and Smith's territory. Joining them would be quite an accomplishment. And, at 23, he's still a young guy. If he stuck with wrestling through 2024, he'd only be 28. For comparison's sake, Askren was 24 for his first fight; Cejudo was 26; Cormier was 30; and Romero was 32.

Edited by Katie

Honestly, why would he want to?  He's a multi time world champion, Olympic champion and NCAA champion along with a team championship at Ohio State.  I get it that he is an athlete and wants to compete, but at what risk?  Why jump into MMA which is a rapidly evolving and changing game when if he doesn't want to wrestle anymore he can literally coach anywhere in the country or maybe the world with his resume.  

38 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Honestly, why would he want to?  He's a multi time world champion, Olympic champion and NCAA champion along with a team championship at Ohio State.  I get it that he is an athlete and wants to compete, but at what risk?  Why jump into MMA which is a rapidly evolving and changing game when if he doesn't want to wrestle anymore he can literally coach anywhere in the country or maybe the world with his resume.  

Agree. I wouldn't fight if I were him. He'll have a good life as a wrestler and coach (if he chooses to coach).  CTE is no joke.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

He had said he doesn’t want to coach 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, TripNSweep said:

Cejudo...

I think that accomplishing the sport's highest achievement at such a young age could have the effect of quenching one's fire. Fortunately for us (and for them), Sadulaev is out there. 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, TripNSweep said:

Hmmm... if I had to venture a guess?  Probably the chance at millions of dollars and international fame on a level that no amateur wrestler could ever achieve.

Don't know if he will have the hand speed for the boxing skills needed. A lot of MMA fighter would get killed in a boxing match - their balance and power is not in their punching, but in mat work and closer in leg work.

He is powerful and that will help if he can close rather than getting his face shattered by a good boxer - or is open to some of the high kicks to the face or head.

Stick with wrestling and train to once again win it all. A tall order when his #1 competitor is head and shoulders above him in technical skill.

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

I wonder how much he is making from his Rudis contract?  I would assume he gets a percentage of every KS Rudis shoe sold.  He might not need the money from MMA or WWE. 

This, its all a matter of what is important to him.  His highest known (financial) ceiling would be WWE.  They'd love to have him and he'd make millions; His highest level of achievement would be in wrestling, where at the age he started winning golds and the competition he has and will continue to have, if he can rack up six or seven he'll be forever on the mount rushmore, and he will make more than a comfortable living;  the biggest question mark, and thereby maybe seen as the biggest challenge, is MMA.  Where he could go on to follow Cejudo's footsteps again, or crash and burn....

10 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Aren't Snyder and Cormier about the same body type/size. Height 5 11 weight walk around 230.  Reach about same. Cormier is the P$P best. So Snyder would probably be an instant top 10.  

Cormier has otherworldly fight IQ. Not everyone is so lucky. 

Edited by Katie

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

Cormier has otherworldly fight IQ. Not everyone is so lucky. 

It looked like Cormier's wrestling resembled Khabib's wrestling style in Cormier's most recent fight.

7 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Aren't Snyder and Cormier about the same body type/size. Height 5 11 weight walk around 230.  Reach about same. Cormier is the P$P best. So Snyder would probably be an instant top 10.  

No, but if Cox moves up then 2020 will light the message boards on fire. Dake by major.

25 minutes ago, Hubbard said:

Cejudo is a different beast.  It's in his DNA.  Grew up streetfighting for money as a kid and barely had enough food to eat.  

One of the most inspiring stories in sports. Cejudo will forever have my utmost respect. He is living the American dream. 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:59 AM, PRyan2012 said:

Snyder is not 5'11.  He's about 5'8 or 5'9 maybe.  I'm a few inches taller than him and I'm 5'11.  When I was at the ASU/OSU dual last year I was shocked by how short he was.  

Well, I think if Kyle continues to be successful, stays healthy, along with his age, I think we see him go for another Olympic cycle. After 2024, maybe we see him do something else. Hopefully though it's not MMA, (just because of the injury factor), but whatever he decides to do after he hang ups his wrestling shoes, I'm sure he'll be successful.