Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Duals at Ohio State

I finally am watching the match from yesterday against Michigan. Did anyone else notice that it looks like none of the fans actually want to be there? I saw this against Iowa last year too; a lot of blank faces. Presentation is good. Great wrestlers. What is the problem with wrestling fans in Columbus?

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I finally am watching the match from yesterday against Michigan. Did anyone else notice that it looks like none of the fans actually want to be there? I saw this against Iowa last year too; a lot of blank faces. Presentation is good. Great wrestlers. What is the problem with wrestling fans in Columbus?

So how many "duals" were there?  Maybe the fans you noted were watching one of the other duals.  ;)

Stockholm syndrome?

This team is really not that exciting.

You have:
McKenna
Jordan
Martin
Those three are worth the admission price, after that......

Moore from two years ago yes, but not now.
Pletcher, Hayes, Romero, Campbell are about as exciting as paint drying.

Ethan Smith is an upgrade over Campbell as far as I'm concerned.

On a side note it looks like Singletary has found the legendary tOSU tanning bed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, russelscout said:

Did anyone else notice that it looks like none of the fans actually want to be there? 

Pretty sure the fans were not locked in and could have left at anytime.  

20 minutes ago, stp said:

Pretty sure the fans were not locked in and could have left at anytime.  

Ok, that may have come across as me ridiculing tOSU. I am actually curious if despite their success, have they had trouble building a fan base? By looking at the fans golf clapping and chins resting on hands, it didn't appear to be a passionate group of regular fans. Two years ago I went to a dual at SDSU and was shocked how much everyone was getting into it. It doesn't seem to be like that at tOSU. Atleast for the couple I have seen.

Edited by russelscout

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

By looking at the fans golf clapping and chins resting on hands, it didn't appear to be a passionate group of regular fans.  

Most likely, they were still fuming over Trump's temper tantrum not working.  Ohio is Freedom Caucus country, where they have zero empathy and were for the Government shut-down.

The sun will come up, tomorrow.

1 minute ago, stp said:

Most likely, they were still fuming over Trump's temper tantrum not working.  Ohio is Freedom Caucus country, where they have zero empathy and were for the Government shut-down.

Well i hope they didnt get too upset. Government shutdown will be back on in 3 weeks!

4 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

I was there and the fans were into it. The big issue is the awful place to watch wrestling, The Schott is a large multi purpose crap hole...arena. 

What was going on at St. Johns?  

20 hours ago, silvermedal said:

It was Shabbos and they felt guilty about not being home.

pretty confident 98% of the fans are very Christian, but maybe they could get a minyan together before the dual? If they had, Ohio state would’ve won 

Edited by Housebuye

41 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I’m shocked that Ryan would allow 2% of the crowd to be non-Christian.

During the mid-meet break.giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c4dea2d347736386b

All kidding aside I would agree with earlier posts that some duals are just not as entertaining as others.  A close meet should have warranted more reaction but many of the bigger match moments were on Michigan’s side of things.  

Edited by MadMardigain

I've always found that, just like Buckeye Football at the Shoe, unless the Bucks are up 30pts... the crowd is disappointed. 

I think they're some of the worst fans in the B1G considering what they have.  Sit on their hands and close their yappers when the Bucks are down or it's close.    

18 hours ago, stp said:

What was going on at St. Johns?  

Probably nothing but heating n cooling problems. They keep trying to sell the Schott as a great place to watch key matchups for wrestling. It is a terrible place. Cannot wait for the new center to open in spring

The schott is cool for a lot of things, but it's not ideal for a dual. The state tournament is AWESOME there. I think it would be perfect for Big Tens. 

As BobbyGribbs said, the new center will be a welcomed change for duals. 

Just figured St Johns would be better for a dual, than the Schott.    

Not wrestling related, more specifically Ohio State.  What sports will be left to use St Johns, once the new Covelli center is open?   Will they bulldoze St Johns, and update the indoor track facilities?  French Field House is really small and outdated.  

On 1/26/2019 at 9:29 PM, stp said:

Thanks for offering up your worthless political views on this wrestling forum.

1 hour ago, TheOhioState said:

Thanks for offering up your worthless political views on this wrestling forum.

Do all jokes or just political ones go over your head?  Maybe my post hit a sensitive area, with its accuracy?  

Edited by stp

5 hours ago, stp said:

Just figured St Johns would be better for a dual, than the Schott.    

Not wrestling related, more specifically Ohio State.  What sports will be left to use St Johns, once the new Covelli center is open?   Will they bulldoze St Johns, and update the indoor track facilities?  French Field House is really small and outdated.  

The issue with St. John’s is the pipes under it. It has a large hub for much of the steam for the University. For years they have talked about tearing it down, but it is a planning part. There won’t be any sports left in there. Few offices and training facilities

On 1/26/2019 at 9:10 PM, russelscout said:

Ok, that may have come across as me ridiculing tOSU. I am actually curious if despite their success, have they had trouble building a fan base? By looking at the fans golf clapping and chins resting on hands, it didn't appear to be a passionate group of regular fans. Two years ago I went to a dual at SDSU and was shocked how much everyone was getting into it. It doesn't seem to be like that at tOSU. Atleast for the couple I have seen.

Meant this one:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/5007880-penn-state-vs-ohio-state/videos?playing=5441185&limit=27

This is the Columbus fan base I remember.

Edited by madcat11

On 1/26/2019 at 11:28 PM, BobbyGribbs said:

I was there and the fans were into it. The big issue is the awful place to watch wrestling, The Schott is a large multi purpose crap hole...arena. 

This is so true.  Horrible place for a dual.  Low energy.