Jimmy Cinnabon

If Spencer is sick why did he wrestle 48 hours ago?

I don't think we'll ever get confirmation about what is wrong with Lee. Iowa has always been pretty tight lipped about those things. We still don't know for sure what injuries McDonough had his senior year. My theory is that Spencer came down with a pretty serious illness early in the season like Mono or a bad case of the flu, and has not fully recovered his strength or lungs at this point. I think that in turn has had a huge impact on his confidence. He looked like he just wanted to survive against Rivera at midlands, not tear him limb from limb like usual. Now, this isn't really much of a duck in the traditional sense because losing wouldn't negatively affect his seed, but I can understand why Brands would sit him if he's struggling with confidence as that may be the bigger issue going forward as he continues to regain strength and conditioning. He definitely doesn't look right right now, and I don't think he would have beaten Rivera today. This is turning into one of the biggest story lines of the season and you have to wonder if guys like Fix or Suriano are thinking more seriously about dropping at this point. 

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Did anyone say-- officially or unofficially__ what was wrong with Lee?

I've read from someone who apparently is in the know, that he's dealing with something very "personal" but won't say what. Another person who also seems to be in the know, commented on whether or not he had Mono and said he was actually dealing with something "much worse than mono". The speculation is out of control. Spencer himself said he was fighting through "something".

6 minutes ago, Erminio8 said:

I've read from someone who apparently is in the know, that he's dealing with something very "personal" but won't say what. Another person who also seems to be in the know, commented on whether or not he had Mono and said he was actually dealing with something "much worse than mono". The speculation is out of control. Spencer himself said he was fighting through "something".

Ebola?

Edited by jchapman

Just now, buf87 said:

And Young

This one may have been more of a wake up call by the Brands. Young has been reluctant to open up this year and the Brands bros have been pretty critical of that. It finally bit him on Friday. Wouldn't be surprised if they gave Glosser, who is pretty good himself, a shot to send a message to young to open up. Young had absolutely nothing to lose seed wise by wrestling, so it's hard to call it a duck in the traditional sense. 

Maybe not cool to toss out the "C" word.  I remember when Adam Frey was not wrestling well...  some people on here were giving him major $%&#.  

We all know how that ended. I honestly felt sorry for the people who were bashing Adam.  The room sure when quiet quickly after that horrible situation.

Joking around is fine... just keep things in perspective, please. Thanks.

Maybe he has the flu. Maybe his girlfriend just ghosted him. Maybe he’s having an existential crisis. Who knows?

Here’s the bottom line: The way the NCAA tournament is set up, the regular season doesn’t matter. So why even show up?

Edited by Katie

The mind is a powerful thing. Where the mind goes so does the body. It takes an unbelievable manager / coach to get someone possibly experiencing a mindset issue to get back on track. Is this the issue with Spencer? Are the Brands capable? I do not know the answer to either question but my guess is in short time we should all know.

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

No way Lee ducked Rivera. It’s not in his DNA and Brands would rather coach bowling before he would let one of his guys duck anyone. What ever the reason is that Lee did not compete today, it’s no one’s business. 

So was Brands coaching bowling against Minny when Stoll ducked Gable?

No way Lee ducked Rivera. It’s not in his DNA and Brands would rather coach bowling before he would let one of his guys duck anyone. What ever the reason is that Lee did not compete today, it’s no one’s business. 

I guess you haven’t followed Wrestling at all this year lol. Brands has been ducking left and right. 

Generally speaking, if it looks like a duck, seems like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

3 hours ago, leshismore said:

Maybe not cool to toss out the "C" word.  I remember when Adam Frey was not wrestling well...  some people on here were giving him major $%&#.  

We all know how that ended. I honestly felt sorry for the people who were bashing Adam.  The room sure when quiet quickly after that horrible situation.

Joking around is fine... just keep things in perspective, please. Thanks.

What’s the C word?

How many people did Dan Gable duck either as a competitor or having one of his athletes not wrestle because they MIGHT lose?I think they should just have a blind draw at NCAA's, so the seedings become irrelevant.

Just my opinion, it is more honorable to battle and lose, than it is to not compete at all because you might lose.

Brands never came across to me as the type of person who looked for the easy way or the kind to pad records by avoiding tough competition,   I guess I was wrong.