nom

So what is up with JO?

Kinda surprised that I haven’t heard some solid news on Jordan Oliver not showing up for the tourney.  Did I miss some news?  Anyone able to interview him?

It was really disappointing.  I took my son to the Schultz, and was telling him about JO in the car, and how he will be one to watch... especially if he and Molinaro were to meet.  

I get there, and my son was sad that he didn't show up.  My son is 7.  

These guys need to realize something... in today's social media/FLO/OTT universe, they become recognizable figures... figures that people want to see.  Figures that children want to potentially emulate.  It's to a greater degree that what it was 20+ years ago, and "comes with the territory".  Disappointing fans isn't a habit that our "stars" should be getting into.  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

It was really disappointing.  I took my son to the Schultz, and was telling him about JO in the car, and how he will be one to watch... especially if he and Molinaro were to meet.  

These guys need to realize something... in today's social media/FLO/OTT universe, they become recognizable figures... figures that people want to see.  Figures that children want to potentially emulate.  It's to a greater degree that what it was 20+ years ago, and "comes with the territory".  Disappointing fans isn't a habit that our "stars" should be getting into.  

e.g. - Lee/Rivera. 

Ok, from other thread I got word to check Twitter.  Yesterday he posted in a reply (best I can tell) that he had flight complications.

I checked day of the event and did not see any explanation.  

Wouldn’t it be known well before the start of the event that you won’t be at the event .... and you could let your fans know?

This isn’t just JO.  Seems like the sport has more to do to be fan friendly.

1 hour ago, nom said:

Ok, from other thread I got word to check Twitter.  Yesterday he posted in a reply (best I can tell) that he had flight complications.

I checked day of the event and did not see any explanation.  

Wouldn’t it be known well before the start of the event that you won’t be at the event .... and you could let your fans know?

This isn’t just JO.  Seems like the sport has more to do to be fan friendly.

Ridiculous excuse. I would get fired for pulling that crap unless flights were cancelled for days. 

When you have an important meeting, fly in a day early. Missing the Schultz because a fight was cancelled is silly 

19 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Ridiculous excuse. I would get fired for pulling that crap unless flights were cancelled for days. 

When you have an important meeting, fly in a day early. Missing the Schultz because a fight was cancelled is silly 

It doesn't really make much sense.  I live in the area, and I can tell you... unless you're acclimated (coming from another high altitude locale), you should get there at least 24 hours early to ensure you can perform your best.  There's a reason why the training center is located at ~6,000 feet above sea level.  

Here's the deal with JO.  Great wrestler.  Miniscule record competing overseas.  Doesn't make weight all that often.  Beats in-house US guys with great regularity when he shows up.  Won a WTT but dropped dirty.  Many understand his great potential but don't understand what he is doing with the big picture.  As Churchill might say, he's a riddle within an enigma.

3 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Here's the deal with JO.  Great wrestler.  Miniscule record competing overseas.  Doesn't make weight all that often.  Beats in-house US guys with great regularity when he shows up.  Won a WTT but dropped dirty.  Many understand his great potential but don't understand what he is doing with the big picture.  As Churchill might say, he's a riddle within an enigma.

Spot ****ing on!

25 minutes ago, jstock said:

Assuming that guys train together in the days prior to the tournament, other guys from his club were there, wouldn't you guess that they should be on the same flight?

Who else who trains at Cornell was there (honest question)? 

Even if there were others, I don't think they necessarily travel at the same time.

I agree that traveling the day before (from the East Coast to CO) is tight.  But unless they are cutting weight (which he would not be at 70KG), I would not expect them to travel too far in advance.  I would have expected him to travel Thursday.

Based on things I have seen on Twitter (historically), it seems that the guys training at Az St and in CA would travel to CO the day before....Keep in mind that the Schultz and Farrell don't get treated the same way as the US Open and WTTs do by the elite guys.

When USAW sends guys overseas, that is a completely different situation as well.  

2 hours ago, Crash said:

When did he win a WTT?

he didn't.  Coach_J must be referring to the April, 2017 US Open.  JO's hot pee test was from the sample given for that tournament.

Edited by gromit

15 minutes ago, gromit said:

he didn't.  Coach_J must be referring to the April, 2017 US Open.  JO's hot pee test was from the sample given for that tournament.

I stand corrected.  He was in the driver's seat to win a spot on the WT.  My bad.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, Housebuye said:

Remember Penn State missing Reno Tournament of Champions due to flight cancellations?

It happens. Close scheduling screws up way too often.

Maybe Oliver only claimed 70KG in luggage but had 80KG on the day of the flight, and the airline didn't let him on board.

Have the sleuths of  wrestling looked into flight cancellations or extreme weather events that day?  

If so, it might turn out to be a variant of "The dog ate my homework" excuse.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:59 AM, treep2000 said:

You guys are being pretty ridiculous. Wrestlers sign up for tournaments and then the wrestling media (FLO) over hypes match-ups. Its not JO’s fault that you feel disappointed. He doesn’t exist to serve you. He was trying to potentially test himself, make money and qualify for the world team trials which still isn’t for several months. Since he still needs to qualify you will see him wrestle again before trials.

There were more wrestlers in attendance than Oliver and plenty more who didn’t go either. I don’t see anyone bad mouthing our world champs or world team members who didn’t attend. No Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs. Stieber, for example, will still need to qualify. There shouldn’t be a double standard here. I feel like if Stieber had registered and not gone there wouldn’t be anywhere near the level of contempt that’s being shown towards Oliver.

Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs, Stieber--World Champs.  Have earned the right to make whatever schedule is best for their training.  Oliver, guy who many feel could be in that mix but hasn't cut it yet.  Gigantic difference.  Even mentioning him with that group, bigtime hubris.

Should JO have gone to the DS? His choice based on whatever his long term goals are.  Should he do more than he's been doing competition-wise if he wants to join the elite group you mention?  There's the point of discussion.

6 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

You guys are being pretty ridiculous. Wrestlers sign up for tournaments and then the wrestling media (FLO) over hypes match-ups. Its not JO’s fault that you feel disappointed. He doesn’t exist to serve you. He was trying to potentially test himself, make money and qualify for the world team trials which still isn’t for several months. Since he still needs to qualify you will see him wrestle again before trials.

There were more wrestlers in attendance than Oliver and plenty more who didn’t go either. I don’t see anyone bad mouthing our world champs or world team members who didn’t attend. No Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs. Stieber, for example, will still need to qualify. There shouldn’t be a double standard here. I feel like if Stieber had registered and not gone there wouldn’t be anywhere near the level of contempt that’s being shown towards Oliver.

Bad example...I believe Logan Steiber, having been a 2018 World Team member, is already qualified for ‘19 WTT

JO could not have qualified for WTTs at 65 by wrestling in the Schultz at 70.

Best point in this thread was the one made about the lack of transparency in the sport in general.  Reliable information is difficult to obtain.  Flo is not ( nor does not purport to be) a beacon journalistic integrity.  The wrestlers themselves are often tight lipped about their schedules and plans.  Fear of Hippa and/or NCAA violations have Carl and the other NCAA coaches terrified to provide any information.  IOC is a laughing stock.  UWW has improved but still has a long way to go.

It's hard work being a wrestling fan and it's not chainging any time soon.

"JO could not have qualified for WTTs at 65 by wrestling in the Schultz at 70."

Are you sure that is true?  As I read the WTT qualification procedures, the only place where it specifies which weight you qualify for is that returning medalists only get a bye to Final X if they stay at the same weight.  I think anyone else can qualify from Schultz/the Open/the Last Chance event at one weight and enter a different one at WTT.  Brandon Wright did that last year I believe... was at 61 at the Open, qualified for WTT, but entered that at 65.  I believe Graff also did something like that a few years ago.... he was generally at 57, but won the Last Chance event at 61, then went back down to 57 for WTT.  I don't see any evidence the rules have changed such that someone could not do that again this year.  

33 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

"JO could not have qualified for WTTs at 65 by wrestling in the Schultz at 70."

Are you sure that is true?  As I read the WTT qualification procedures, the only place where it specifies which weight you qualify for is that returning medalists only get a bye to Final X if they stay at the same weight.  I think anyone else can qualify from Schultz/the Open/the Last Chance event at one weight and enter a different one at WTT.  Brandon Wright did that last year I believe... was at 61 at the Open, qualified for WTT, but entered that at 65.  I believe Graff also did something like that a few years ago.... he was generally at 57, but won the Last Chance event at 61, then went back down to 57 for WTT.  I don't see any evidence the rules have changed such that someone could not do that again this year.  

Apologies if I have that wrong.  I will re-read.  

The other place where I would think "same weight" must apply would be for the weights where the US Open Winner earns a bye into the WTT finals (e.g. 65).  I'm sure JO has aspirations of earning that bye, thus 70KG at Schultz was probably not that meaningful to him.