nom

So what is up with JO?

9 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

You guys are being pretty ridiculous. Wrestlers sign up for tournaments and then the wrestling media (FLO) over hypes match-ups. Its not JO’s fault that you feel disappointed. He doesn’t exist to serve you. He was trying to potentially test himself, make money and qualify for the world team trials which still isn’t for several months. Since he still needs to qualify you will see him wrestle again before trials.

There were more wrestlers in attendance than Oliver and plenty more who didn’t go either. I don’t see anyone bad mouthing our world champs or world team members who didn’t attend. No Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs. Stieber, for example, will still need to qualify. There shouldn’t be a double standard here. I feel like if Stieber had registered and not gone there wouldn’t be anywhere near the level of contempt that’s being shown towards Oliver.

Its not ridiculous when your 7 year old looks up to a guy and is then sad that said guy doesnt show up. 

The rest of your commentary is conjecture. 

I've never understood all the excitement about JO. He was a pretty good college wrestler, probably should've been a 3 time NCAA champ. Internationally he's done okay, but he's never come close to scratching a Sr World medal.

Much ado about nothing. He'll never rep the USA at the Olympics or Worlds.

5 hours ago, gromit said:

Bad example...I believe Logan Steiber, having been a 2018 World Team member, is already qualified for ‘19 WTT

You're right, I forgot they were able to qualify that way. Replace him with another wrestler who didn't wrestle.

Edited by Relentless125

5 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs, Stieber--World Champs.  Have earned the right to make whatever schedule is best for their training.  Oliver, guy who many feel could be in that mix but hasn't cut it yet.  Gigantic difference.  Even mentioning him with that group, bigtime hubris.

Should JO have gone to the DS? His choice based on whatever his long term goals are.  Should he do more than he's been doing competition-wise if he wants to join the elite group you mention?  There's the point of discussion.

The only difference is that they are already qualified for WTT. Barring stipulations placed on him about training at his RTC, he also has the right to make the schedule that is best for him to win the spot in June.

Wrestling in more tournaments doesn't necessarily make you a better wrestler or reach goals quicker. He can stay home to wrestle with Dake and improve more than at this tournament.

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Its not ridiculous when your 7 year old looks up to a guy and is then sad that said guy doesnt show up. 

In my opinion it actually it is. You took 10-30 minutes to convince your 7 year old that he needed to see JO wrestle and then blame JO for disappointing your 7 year old. It's not like JO made a deal with your kid that he would win the tournament for him. If he's 7 he likely wouldn't know the difference if you talked about one of the other great wrestlers in attendance such as Molinaro. 

1 hour ago, Relentless125 said:

The only difference is that they are already qualified for WTT. Barring stipulations placed on him about training at his RTC, he also has the right to make the schedule that is best for him to win the spot in June.

Wrestling in more tournaments doesn't necessarily make you a better wrestler or reach goals quicker. He can stay home to wrestle with Dake and improve more than at this tournament.

"The only difference."  We'll agree to disagree.

Logan Stieber would not have been chastised for failing to show because he has a long history of keeping his word.  Logan is just a bad comparison.  

I have always felt JO was comparable to David Taylor in terms of talent and potential.  He is compelling to watch each time he takes the mat.  But he seems to get in his own way too often. 

Edited by silvermedal

8 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

In my opinion it actually it is. You took 10-30 minutes to convince your 7 year old that he needed to see JO wrestle and then blame JO for disappointing your 7 year old. It's not like JO made a deal with your kid that he would win the tournament for him. If he's 7 he likely wouldn't know the difference if you talked about one of the other great wrestlers in attendance such as Molinaro. 

Do you do parenting classes, as clearly, youre the best.  Stay in your lane...

8 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

And yes... He moved on very quickly.  My point was clearly lost on your fixation on how i speak with my son.  

On 1/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, treep2000 said:

It is concerning that a person would convince a seven year old child that they must observe that person in-person, and if said person does not show up that a person would push the blame onto an athlete. 

Or, as PDII would put it:

Was JO signed up on trackwrestling/FLO brackets? Nah? Then shut up and be a better parent.

Edited by bnwtwg