Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Cael's Complete Match Record

I'm surprised I have not been able to find this.  Hoping someone here can help.

I am looking for a complete list of Cael's matches from his RS Freshman year through his Senior year, including opponents and final score of each match.

Additionally, looking for the same info for his Freestyle career (Domestic and International).  Not just World's/Olympics, but all events.

I swear I have seen all this before but cannot find any of it now.

Thanks.

2011 Cael placed 5th at worlds. If I remember the story right he only entered after making a promise to his wrestlers that if they won the NCAA team title he would try out for the world team. Can’t help but feel like we got robbed of many years of Cael bringing home international medals. But as a consolation he’s done ok for himself as a coach lol.

4 minutes ago, leshismore said:

I love this one: :-)

2003 U.S. Nationals (1st Place)
tech. fall Pat Popolizio (New York AC), 10-0
tech. fall Ben Askren (MO Elite), 11-0

I noticed that too...this must've been after Askren's 1st year (redshirt?) at Mizzou

As you go through Caels College 159-0 I think you will gain even more respect for what he did. Some of the names he beat were damned tough.

Then, when the weight class cleared out because of his dominance we heard "come up a class and try the Big Boys and get your Ass handed to you". He went up and the dominance continued. He was just that good.

I also was disappointed when he retired. Figured he would have a John Smith career on the World stage. His choice and we get to see Gable like performance as a Coach now.

Some basic info so far. First, I included the "unofficial" matches because he earned those wins :). Also, I counted Injury Defaults as bonus wins.

- RSFr Year: 44-0, 77% bonus rate, (12 pins, 10 TFs, 11 Majors, 10 Decisions, 1 Injury Default)

- RSSo Year: 43-0, 86% bonus rate, (14 pins, 15 TFs, 7 Majors, 6 Decisions, 1 Injury Default)

- RSJr Year: 40-0, 90% bonus rate, (21 pins, 6 TFs, 9 Majors, 4 Decisions, 0 Injury Defaults)

- RSSr Year: 43-0, 95% bonus rate (24 pins, 13 TFs, 2 Majors, 2 Decisions, 2 Injury Defaults)

TOTAL: 170-0, 87% bonus rate (71 pins, 44 TFs, 29 Majors, 22 Decisions, 4 Injury Defaults)

Edited by mattchristensen112

On 1/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, TripNSweep said:

I'm pretty sure he took losses to Gutches, Brinzer and Van Arsdale around 2000 or 2001.  

Just to clarify:  we were supposed to wrestle in a consolation match at the 2000 Olympic trials.  He scratched.  Now, if you're guessing, "He fled in terror," I'm sure you're right, but there wasn't actually a match.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:43 AM, Crash said:

I'm surprised I have not been able to find this.  Hoping someone here can help.

I am looking for a complete list of Cael's matches from his RS Freshman year through his Senior year, including opponents and final score of each match.

Additionally, looking for the same info for his Freestyle career (Domestic and International).  Not just World's/Olympics, but all events.

I swear I have seen all this before but cannot find any of it now.

Thanks.

I can tell you about 3 of Cael's matches that aren't on the  "official" record, but they happened or my name isn't Tobus Rex. And it isn't. But I'll tell you nonetheless.

I was a young lad growing up in the hills of northeastern Oklahoma. It was a hard place. A place of rock and stone. And lots of Indians. I met a traveling salesman named Johnny Gableseed. Johnny, it seemed, was a folk wrestling hero of some reknown. He'd managed to win the  state amateur rasslin' championship 3 years running, if you don't count the year he lost to a bear. Anyway I says to Johnny "Johnny, can you teach me how to wrestle?". Johnny replied "Yes, you bet I can" and proceeded into an uninvited, totally unsolicited rendition of "My Way", while simultaneously slapping his knees in time to the music. The gayest thing I've ever seen, and I watched "Can't Stop the Music" in college. I sighed and said "Changed my mind. Have a good one Johnny" , shook my head, and sadly walked away.

20 years to the day later........

I entered an open wrestling tournament to celebrate my 29th birthday. I entered the open 190 pound tournament, open up to age 29. Wrestling at one of the lighter weights (70 pounds or so) was this scrawny kid singing "My Way". My first sighting of the White Whale..Cael Sanderson. But not my last.

To be continued....

Edited by TobusRex

Cael actually lost a match in his redshirt year to Paul Jenn's at the UNI Open. Jenn's was redshirting that year after wrestling for Iowa Central.

Cael was winning the match entering the third period however Jenn's being older and stronger scored multiple takedowns in the third period to win the match.

Cael never lost to Jenn's again and sadly Paul Jenn's was killed on the way to his wedding.

3 hours ago, Ray Brinzer said:

Just to clarify:  we were supposed to wrestle in a consolation match at the 2000 Olympic trials.  He scratched.  Now, if you're guessing, "He fled in terror," I'm sure you're right, but there wasn't actually a match.

That was the year Burton won the trials. Kind of surprised a lot of people since Gutches was a world champion and world team member. 

2 hours ago, wrestlefan57 said:

Cael actually lost a match in his redshirt year to Paul Jenn's at the UNI Open. Jenn's was redshirting that year after wrestling for Iowa Central.

Cael was winning the match entering the third period however Jenn's being older and stronger scored multiple takedowns in the third period to win the match.

Cael never lost to Jenn's again and sadly Paul Jenn's was killed on the way to his wedding.

Not to his wedding, but to another wedding.  Sad story of what seemed to be a remarkable man:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPost.jsp?postId=1257742132

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, gromit said:

I noticed that too...this must've been after Askren's 1st year (redshirt?) at Mizzou

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, leshismore said:

I love this one: :-)

2003 U.S. Nationals (1st Place)
tech. fall Pat Popolizio (New York AC), 10-0
tech. fall Ben Askren (MO Elite), 11-0

HAHA. I never knew Askren or Pop actually wrestled Cael in a official match. Remember a tech then was really a tech. Now it would have been 20-0 over Askren. Geez! I thought Cael was no good at freestyle:-) Such a shame he retired just entering his prime. 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:47 PM, WillieBoy said:

As you go through Caels College 159-0 I think you will gain even more respect for what he did. Some of the names he beat were damned tough.

Then, when the weight class cleared out because of his dominance we heard "come up a class and try the Big Boys and get your Ass handed to you". He went up and the dominance continued. He was just that good.

I also was disappointed when he retired. Figured he would have a John Smith career on the World stage. His choice and we get to see Gable like performance as a Coach now.

I think we may have seen him continue longer if we had the living the dream foundation back then.  I think that has made a huge difference with our top guys sticking around.  I don't think JB would still be wrestling if we didn't have it.  Yes it requires guys to place at the Worlds and Olympics, but those are the guys we want sticking around.  It allows them to get some money where they can still move forward with life and a family.  Between those funds, and the RTC and such.  If I remember I think Carl was only getting the Ladder pay.