Jimmy Cinnabon

Vincenzo Joseph so far = Kyle Dake?

2.5 years into his college career how does Joseph stack up with Dake?

Both had 2 NCAA titles, both took some losses (6 for Joseph, 4 for Dake).

Both are known for great defense and clutch performances in big time matches.

Both are sometimes knocked for not being that "great" in comparison to other flashier wrestlers.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

?

Cenzo and IMar have only wrestled 5 times.  Cenzo is 2-3 vs IMar but the 2 wins were in the NCAA finals.

Your actually making whatever point he is trying to make, stronger I think? But lets see Cenzo senior year before we say cenzo=dake. He will need to bump up and wrestle a returning ncaa champ. If that happens to be his teammate he might need to transfer for that to happen.

51 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Your actually making whatever point he is trying to make, stronger I think? But lets see Cenzo senior year before we say cenzo=dake. He will need to bump up and wrestle a returning ncaa champ. If that happens to be his teammate he might need to transfer for that to happen. 

I'm all for it, #CenzoToPortal

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Both are sometimes knocked for not being that "great" in comparison to other flashier wrestlers.

fake news,  Joseph is 3.5 yrs into college career in which in comparison    < Dake

Actually tougher for me to answer than I thought when you isolate up to their mid Junior years.  Cenzo has won two titles and all it took was stopping Imar from becoming the next 4Xer.  That's impressive.  Although Dake started his run as a true freshman, I don't think he really became transcendent until he finished his Junior year with a dominant NCAAs going 3 for 3 in 3.  Which had not been done at that point.  

So I'm gonna give to Cenzo for now but that may change depending on how his conference and NCAAs go.  

Their careers are very different but have some similarities. 

Cenzo took a RS.  Cenzo also had to beat a 2X returning NCAA champ two years in a row, in the finals, who only ever lost 3 matches two of which were to Cenzo.

Dake won a title as a TRFR and moved up a weight every year, doing something nobody else has ever done.  He beat Taylor twice his senior year (not counting the all-star match) and one of those times was in the finals.  David Taylor was about as good as they came in college, too.  

I think they are too different to compare, though.

Edited by StallWarning

1 hour ago, misterc said:

Although Dake started his run as a true freshman, I don't think he really became transcendent until he finished his Junior year with a dominant NCAAs going 3 for 3 in 3.  Which had not been done at that point.  

The very first 4 timer also won his first three w/o taking a RS. He took one after his junior year. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Do you think he wins it all this year?

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Another comparison...

IMar vs Taylor

Both 2 time champs, 4x finalists.  Both have only 3 career losses...and both have 2 of those losses to great wrestlers (Dake and Joseph).

However Taylor has 2 Hodges and IMar has none.

Imar also got pinned by Nolf, So he lost to another all time great.  

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

To me, his 2nd win over IMar was more impressive than his first.  He was in total control the entire match.

His first finals win he pretty much dictated the entire match as well. Outside of Imar's first flash takedown he finished each period in controlling the flow of the match. Before scoring the final takedown/fall he was up by 1 and had 1 min of riding time. Had imar gotten off his back  and avoided the pin the score would have been 12-5 not including riding time.

16 hours ago, KTG119 said:

The very first 4 timer also won his first three w/o taking a RS. He took one after his junior year. 

Right, I meant Dake was the first/only to do it at 3 different weight classes.  

I see the similarities in their approaches, both physically powerful guys who defend superbly, neither one shies away from potential throw situations.  Pretty sure Cenzo gets more bonus points than Dake did, though. But Dake never redshirted.