Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Flo big match promotion - question

Flo has promoted and hyped up a bunch of big matches that did not happen due to guys being hurt or not weighing in. I love Flo and the promotion they provide, however it really is a letdown when the match doesn’t happen. Would it be possible for them to check in with the coaches to see if the guys in those big matches plan on competing? I know college coaches are super busy throughout the week, but it couldn’t hurt to shoot them a quick message or put in a quick call in an attempt to confirm matches. The worst thing that would happen is a no-response from the coach. Is this being done, and if not, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is 100% on the coaching staffs - they know there will be press on big matches, they know people will be coming to see big matches, they see the articles.  If a guy like Lee wrestles on Friday and misses Sunday, there's no way for anyone to predict that unless the coaches flat out say WELL in advance that they aren't wrestling.  And none of them do...

This is actually a pretty interesting question.

FLO offers a great service in terms of giving the wrestling community access to almost every part of the sport; it's an exciting time to be a fan.

One downside in my mind is that the 'total coverage' approach gives people the impression that we deserve all the information all the time. Why not Tweet two top-level D1 coaches and simply demand information? I mean, a wrestling journalist/traveling videographer is on equal footing with a guy who has spent his life working to obtain an HC position and all the responsibilities that implies, right? 

On a personal level, and since it's the big example this week, I was really looking forward to seeing Lee and Rivera go at it. Even planned my Sunday around it to some extent. The reality, though, is that I would have looked forward to that match anyway, without FLO blowing it up for the purpose of building hype. I get it--you gotta make money--but they're the one's who treat it like PPV match, as if they have any say, at all, over the people involved (whether wrestlers or coaches).

To their credit, the guys at FLO bring visibility to the sport, which is a good thing, but they act and communicate as if they are a governing body rather than a corporate enterprise. They create these narratives well ahead of time--usually in house, and in many cases without direct input from parties involved--and then somehow, we find fault when the 'reality' doesn't come to fruition. Again, I'd be disappointed anyway if a potentially exciting match didn't happen, without FLO telling me how coaches are killing the sport.

That said: I'm a subscriber, and I'll keep tuning in because I love wrestling--but I don't think FLO deserves access to wrestlers or coaches any more than wrestlers and coaches (free men and women, all) are willing to give.

It would be better for them to hype the duals rather than the matches.  The duals will happen.  And if there is a blowout, then there is a blowout, just like in other sports where an athlete that was expected to contribute to a team was out injured or didn't perform at expected.

If you focus on the individual matches, you're always going to be disappointed.

17 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

It would be better for them to hype the duals rather than the matches.  The duals will happen.  And if there is a blowout, then there is a blowout, just like in other sports where an athlete that was expected to contribute to a team was out injured or didn't perform at expected.

If you focus on the individual matches, you're always going to be disappointed.

Disagree. People get more excited about individual matchups. 

Nobody thought Northwestern would beat Iowa. People wanted 125 and 157 to happen. 

It also helps our wrestlers build their brand and make more money post college if they wrestle, coach or go into mma. 

4 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Does Flo think this counts as reporting?

I have the tendency to think this was done sort of tongue in cheek... The poor guys over at flo can't win with a lot of the fans..if they don't cover enough, they get thrown over the coals, if they overhype the same result.  I think every week they should send the same tweet out.  "Great wrestling this week!" haha

I don't have Flo (I did years ago and all the yelling by the announcers made me crazy so I cancelled).  So to me, this seems a bit off to blame Flo for hyping matches wrestling fans know are coming and are excited about regardless of Flo.  Wrestling fans can and do follow college wrestling without Flo (like the Big Ten network and their plus offering for instance). 

Flo isn't responsible for dual meets not mattering or coaches sitting guys.  Someone above suggested hyping the dual rather than the individual matchups but the duals iare the individual matchups when team wins and losses don't really matter.  

Edited by ironmonkey

As soon as the dual was over the first post on Flo's site was the direct question to Brands' asking why didnt Lee or Young wrestle. It's not like after the match doesnt happen "Poof" they forget about it. They directly ask the coach why it didnt happen. Flo has no control over "coaches' decisions," but I certainly wouldn't expect a fully reliable answer even if they did ask.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

2 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

If flo knew prior that these matches were not going to happen and continued to promote, then you could make that argument.  

They new Teasdale was going to wrestle at the Scuffle before he did.......nevermind.

Just now, unbiased said:

They new Teasdale was going to wrestle at the Scuffle before he did.......nevermind.

Yes and he was slated to wrestle all the way up until weigh-ins, correct?  Then when they found out he did not weigh in, they reported that accordingly.  

3 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Yes and he was slated to wrestle all the way up until weigh-ins, correct?  Then when they found out he did not weigh in, they reported that accordingly.  

I jest. If you can't pick on the Monopoly what fun are we going to have.

2 minutes ago, unbiased said:

I jest. If you can't pick on the Monopoly what fun are we going to have.

Gosh darn it..did i completlely miss that? I thought you were being serious....another cup of coffee for me. (slowly climbs down from his white horse protecting the damsel in distress that is flowrestling.org)

5 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Gosh darn it..did i completlely miss that? I thought you were being serious....another cup of coffee for me. (slowly climbs down from his white horse protecting the damsel in distress that is flowrestling.org)

Where is this emoji when you need it? Seriously. Lol.

Edited by unbiased

18 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Disagree. People get more excited about individual matchups. 

Nobody thought Northwestern would beat Iowa. People wanted 125 and 157 to happen. 

It also helps our wrestlers build their brand and make more money post college if they wrestle, coach or go into mma. 

How did that work out for everyone?

We know that lineups are going to change.  That is a reality of every sport.  It is irrational to think that it won't happen.

And I am not sure what possible future brands for athletes has to do with anything.