Sign in to follow this  
transportor

Iowa wrestler makes yahoo news

Despite sharing any of the sentiments involved with this act, its negative impacts felt among those with little or NO understanding are so profound that it would be best for everyone involved with the sport to have no physical evidence of the act (especially left at the "scene of the crime"). Conversely, imagine the reactions if McD had taken the opportunity to join the official in raising Delgado's hand in acknowlegement of the convincing victory. And then imagine Delgado reciprocating in like manner if/when they meet in the finals a coupla weeks from now. My point? Such a display of sportmanship, especially now, would aid greatly in promoting support for the oldest and greatest sport here and throughout the globe.......especially now. (Maybe someone can find and post the pic of the embrace between Burroughs and the Iranian following their gold medal match? I much prefer sustaining THAT image over the "discarded medal in a trashcan.")

Of course this would be the only national headline for wrestling. They couldnt take sometime to talk about a potential Dake vs. Taylor match up or talk about how great of a season Jordan Oliver is have up 2 weight classes or talk about how 125 is so tough that a 2 time champ and 1 time finalist isnt even the favorite to win it this year.

I assume McD threw his award in the trash because he didn't want to remember it. I find it ironic that he will now be hearing about this for quite some time now :lol: I'm a bit surprised Yahoo took the time to include collegiate wrestling in their news feed at all actually... It's too bad they don't do that for some of the brighter aspects of our sport (as mentioned above).

Bummer ... regardless of his disgust in himself and the loss ... Today's media will always look for drama, conflict, etc ...

We do NOT need that flavor of news, even though the announcer tried to sugar coat it.

McDonough should have just thrown his whole body in the trash after that performance. He got buried by Delgado and I honestly don't see him beating Delgado due to matchup issues. Have a little self respect and common decentsy by not throwing away a big ten medal away at the exact venue your competing.. If your going to be a toad factory and sore loser, atleast wait until you leave the facilities. This is the stuff that gives our wrestling a bad name. Of course no one likes to lose, but you have to win and lose as a man in my opinion. I wonder where Ramos tossed his medal?

This one's for all those posters out there who said "It's his medal, let him do what he wants with it."

Well, his selfish, petulant actions just brought ill repute not just to him, but to all of us and the sport we love.

Now, you can blame the media if you want. And we can say that we'll do without coverage, and our sport will slip back into total obscurity.

Or, you can say, we need positive coverage for all the virtues that our sport has to teach our young people -- dedication; sacrifice; physical courage; mental tenacity; AND YES -- SPORTSMANSHIP.

Poor sportsmanship, no doubt about it. Arrogant as well. If he's going to throw away anything less than 1st place awards from here on out, he won't need another trophy case, that's for sure.

What McDonough did was a mistake. I think he certainly has the right to toss his medal if he wants, but he should not have bailed from the podium and he should not have tossed the medal in front of his competitors. Do it in private.

I feel bad for McDonough, though. Not because he lost, but because something (whether it's weight or something else) is clearly wrong this year. The medal tossing seems out of character for him. People are comparing him to Mark Perry, but McDonough isn't Perry. No disrespect to Perry, but he had an attitude issue from day one, and it came through many times during his career. McDonough, meanwhile, while hyperintense, has always seemed to be a pretty good kid. He took an ass beating from Robles in 2011, and it was one that he could have made some excuses for or whined about, but as far as I could tell he took it like a man. I don't care whether he wins the NCAAs or not but I hope he gets himself straightened out.

It often amazes me the double standards on here. Do you all remember how people were praising Mark Rappo for his Art of War? http://www.usawrestlingnation.com/phpBB ... 0&p=200699

For those of you that don't recall, here is a part of it:

"Ask any wrestler on our team if he has any of his second-place medals. The answer is no. My 2011 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships silver medal is somewhere on the shoulder of I-76."

From all account, it sounds like McDonough did what was asked of him. He posed for the picture and then when the B1G was finished taking the picture he left. Whatever he did, or didn't do, with his medal is of no significance, if you ask me.

The $100.00 question is ... Who went dumpster Diving to retrieve it? :roll:

Exactly, the story doesn't add up. "... Sam Louwagie from the Daily Iowan ... " The event was in Champaign, IL, if thrown in the trash immediately, how does someone from the Daily Iowan get possession or photo? Moreover, believe there is some "case law" regarding removing or taking possession of items that have been throw in the trash, not that any will likely pursue this case.

Whoever posted that picture on twitter (and subsequently sent it to Yahoo) should be shot. At a time when we're trying to "Save 2020 Olympic Wrestling", this isn't the kind of bad press our sport needs.

In my opinion, McD, Metcalf, etc. have had this mindset drilled into their heads by the Brands Bros...two of the worst sportsmen I have ever seen. This attitude of being a failure if you don't take 1st place is pathetic. How does it prepare these young men for the real world? When they're done with college wrestling and move on to a job in the real world...are they going to throw away their commission check if they're not the #1 salesman in the company? Not an apples to apples example, but think about it.

It just makes me sick that these young men can't even enjoy the sport because their coaches give them this mindset that they're a failure if they don't win ALL the time. As DT said...it's just a game. Grow up, show some respect to your opponent and have some fun.