Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Ducking: an enlightened perspective

Losing a wrestling match can be horribly traumatic. I’ve heard of wrestlers feeling triggered over losses years and even decades after the fact, long after anyone else could possibly care.

Are we fans being selfish for wanting to see these student athletes risk future triggerings?

Maybe it’s time we stand and salute those coaches who understand how devastating it can be to not be the best wrestler of all time. 

Maybe it’s time to give coaches emotional forfeit bricks so they can protect their guys from emotional damage even after a match has started.

I pity anyone who puts entertainment above potential emotional carnage. 

Edited by Katie

9 minutes ago, Katie said:

Losing a wrestling match can be horribly traumatic. I’ve heard of wrestlers feeling triggered over losses years and even decades after the fact, long after anyone else could possibly care.

Are we fans being selfish for wanting to see these student athletes risk future triggerings?

Maybe it’s time we stand and salute those coaches who understand how devastating it can be to not be the best wrestler of all time. 

Maybe it’s time to give coaches emotional forfeit bricks so they can protect their guys from emotional damage even after a match has started.

Related image

14 minutes ago, Katie said:

I think this is an outstanding point, but look at David Taylor.  He’s a world champ.

Emotional Forfeit Bricks? We need to get some of these out to Iowa City fast!
New facilities don't build themselves.
What stronger foundation could one hope for?
Emotional bricks.... BRILLIANT!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Maybe every wrestler should  receive one "Emotional (Support) Duck" get-out-of-a-match-card pass that can be used each season.   They can play the card (duck) up until midnight of the day before the match.

Or maybe their coaches should just show some damn confidence and cajones and put their wrestlers out there unless they are actually injured or truly ill.

https://people.com/pets/emotional-support-duck-boards-plane-with-owner-delights-everyone/

Image result for emotional duck on plane

Edited by dmm53

In Friday's dual, Utah Valley only wrestled 1 of their 5 ranked wrestlers. losing at N. Dakota State 47-3.  Findlay (141), Romero (165), Bastain (174), & Orndorff (197) were all no shows.

Why did Utah Valley even waste the time & money to make this trip ?  

Maybe we should have emotional bricks for fans who have little to no understanding what it is like to go through a college wrestling season. What its like to have midseason injuries. The athlete wants to wrestle but he knows that being healthy at the end the year is imperative to being successful at the end of the year. This isn't high school wrestling. This college wrestling. Your opponent isn't going to cut you any slack because you are injured. So maybe before you pass judgement on a wrestler or  a coach for missing a match perhaps you get some facts.

Paul -

Disagree that 4 of the 5 were injured but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am.  If you have facts about their injuries, I would like to hear.

In reality, we all know it’s more about Utah Valley not wrestling their studs in order to preserve Big 12 Seeds.  

Edited by Show_Me

50 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

ePaul -

Disagree that 4 of the 5 were injured but you are entitled to your opinion just as I am.  If you have facts about their injuries, I would like to hear.

In reality, we all know it’s more about Utah Valley not wrestling their studs in order to preserve Big 12 Seeds.  

I'm referring to McKenna vs Carr  yesterday. There is  another thread on here similar to this one. 

Edited by Paul158
mispelling