Sign in to follow this  
Willis

Wrestlers in the Superbowl

Patriots lineman James Ferentz loved individual battles as a high school wrestler

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPlayer.jsp?videoId=390842132&eventId=&eventType=

L.A. Rams offensive lineman and three-time Iowa state high school champion Austin Blythe goes On the Mat

https://api.spreaker.com/v2/episodes/16852401/download.mp3

At the 39min mark. 

Edited by MadMardigain

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

By the way, can you imagine what Aaron Donald or Ndamukong Suh would have been like on the mat?  And people get mad at Steveson for a little extracurricular shoving...

Donald with his speed and power would be an amazing heavyweight.

I was always hoping to see Austin Blythe wrestle in college. He obviously made the best decision for himself. I believe he finished 2-1-1-1 in high school. I was down at the state tournament his sophomore year. It was right before the finals that year, and he took a seat over by me down on the floor before the finals started. I remember thinking this kid has bigger ankles than my thighs. Super nice kid. Usually a heavyweight freshman/sophomore kids are big dough boys. I have never seen a kid that young, that large, who could move like that. He could have been great in college IMO. I wonder what percentage of the top 20 heavies we lose to football.

20 hours ago, russelscout said:

I was always hoping to see Austin Blythe wrestle in college. He obviously made the best decision for himself. I believe he finished 2-1-1-1 in high school. I was down at the state tournament his sophomore year. It was right before the finals that year, and he took a seat over by me down on the floor before the finals started. I remember thinking this kid has bigger ankles than my thighs. Super nice kid. Usually a heavyweight freshman/sophomore kids are big dough boys. I have never seen a kid that young, that large, who could move like that. He could have been great in college IMO. I wonder what percentage of the top 20 heavies we lose to football.

i remember austin and his brother holden - good buddy of mine always had holden in his brackets at bigger AAU tournaments.

both of them were crazy athletic and both ended up playing football.

20 hours ago, russelscout said:

I wonder what percentage of the top 20 heavies we lose to football.

I can't cite specific numbers but I bet we lose MOST of the HS HWT state champs that are offered football or wrestling schollies. Football has a far, far higher top end for earnings, so I understand. Nevertheless I think there are enough guys who really wish they could've kept their wrestling careers going in the offseason (wrestling/football seasons don't overlap that much) that if it wasn't for the 285 weight limit that they'd participate if for no other reason than the fact that they like to wrestle.

It goes the other way, too. Mocco WANTED to play football in college, but only had D1 talent in one sport (wrestling). He went out for the football team and, I think, made it up to 2nd team on the defensive line (or was it offensive line? Who cares, he was a scrub) his senior year.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:57 PM, TobusRex said:

I can't cite specific numbers but I bet we lose MOST of the HS HWT state champs that are offered football or wrestling schollies. Football has a far, far higher top end for earnings, so I understand. Nevertheless I think there are enough guys who really wish they could've kept their wrestling careers going in the offseason (wrestling/football seasons don't overlap that much) that if it wasn't for the 285 weight limit that they'd participate if for no other reason than the fact that they like to wrestle.

It goes the other way, too. Mocco WANTED to play football in college, but only had D1 talent in one sport (wrestling). He went out for the football team and, I think, made it up to 2nd team on the defensive line (or was it offensive line? Who cares, he was a scrub) his senior year.

Mocco never played organized football until he was at Oklahoma State.  He was a 12 month a year wrestler/judo player.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, Witherman said:

i remember austin and his brother holden - good buddy of mine always had holden in his brackets at bigger AAU tournaments.

both of them were crazy athletic and both ended up playing football.

I had a real good friend, Josh Ihnen, who had Holden in his 171 state bracket. I can't remember if Holden and Josh met up that year or not but they were both highly ranked. A kid from Osage came through and won the bracket that year. Holden may have lost to him in the semis and Josh in the finals, but Idk. Both won titles the next year at 89 and 215 I believe. I had no clue Holden went on to play football, but he was a very tough wrestler too.

18 hours ago, russelscout said:

I had a real good friend, Josh Ihnen, who had Holden in his 171 state bracket. I can't remember if Holden and Josh met up that year or not but they were both highly ranked. A kid from Osage came through and won the bracket that year. Holden may have lost to him in the semis and Josh in the finals, but Idk. Both won titles the next year at 89 and 215 I believe. I had no clue Holden went on to play football, but he was a very tough wrestler too.

I remember Ihnen. He was an early rival of Chris Perry in college.