Sign in to follow this  
rpm002

FS Rankings

So it has been over 9 months since we've seen a rankings update, so the next one probably won't be until after the US Open (or maybe just before).  Here's my top 5 at each weight.  I'm sure there are a couple bad omissions here, so please correct me where warranted.

57  Gilman, Fix, Ramos, NaTo, Lee (could flip 4 and 5.... hard to rank them since neither have wrestled free in the last year)

61  Colon, Garrett, Mega, Graff, Morrison (Brewer would probably be 6th given Gross's injury and his win at Schultz.... will be interesting to see what shape Garrett will be in at the Open.... a torn pec is often a 6 month injury and that is almost exactly his time frame)

65  Steiber, Oliver, Zain, Molinaro, Futrell (very hard to rank this weight.  Eierman also has a good case to be in there)

70 Green, Chamberlain, Hidlay, Pantaleo, Deakin (some young guns, but seems like one of the weaker weights now with Frank moving down)

74 Burroughs, IMAR, Kulchytskyy, Gnatt, Lewis

79 Dake, Valencia, Dieringer, Hall, Aaron Brooks

86 Taylor, Reenan, Downey, Nickal, Courts

92 Cox, Heflin, Zilmer, Winn, McCall, Dudley (or is Dudley going back down to 86kg? he'd probably be 4 or 5 there if so)

97 Snyder, Gadson, Walz, N Burak, Moore

125 Gwiz, Coon, Nelson, Gable, Varner (Kosoy would be 6th and Dom 7th after the Schultz result)

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Amazes me so many of those guys are still chasing a dream they'll never catch.

I get what you are saying, but many could have easily said the same about Molinairo in January of 2015.... actually, if someone made a list like this at that time, he almost certainly wouldn't have even been included at all. There will probably be 1-2 similar surprises in 2019/2020.  

15 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

I get what you are saying, but many could have easily said the same about Molinairo in January of 2015.... actually, if someone made a list like this at that time, he almost certainly wouldn't have even been included at all. There will probably be 1-2 similar surprises in 2019/2020.  

True enough. I was really proud that Molinaro acquitted himself so well, damn near getting a bronze.

28 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Downey is huge and powerful at the weight.  He could cause problems for the rest if he stays on task with his training.

At Schultz, Downey was actually composed.  It was refreshing. 

2 hours ago, Crash said:

I believe the 2-day scratch weigh-in, as well as the positioning for 2020 Olympic weights have  more that a few guys on that list debating which weight to wrestle this year.

I expect some some surprises in that regard.

Any guesses what the guys listed at 61 and 70 will do?  At 61, I could see Megaludis going down to 57kg.  I think the rest will stay and honestly, I have no idea what any of them are going to do.... they all seem like tweeners with the new weigh-in rules.  At 70, Green has a bye so he'll stay and I'm really not sure if any of the others on the list could ever make 65kg.  I could see some of the younger ones going up to 74 since they'll probably be there next year anyway.

8 hours ago, rpm002 said:
Any guesses what the guys listed at 61 and 70 will do?  At 61, I could see Megaludis going down to 57kg.  I think the rest will stay and honestly, I have no idea what any of them are going to do.... they all seem like tweeners with the new weigh-in rules.  At 70, Green has a bye so he'll stay and I'm really not sure if any of the others on the list could ever make 65kg.  I could see some of the younger ones going up to 74 since they'll probably be there next year anyway.

Green doesn't have a bye this year.  He did not medal at Worlds last year.  He can earn one at the US Open, but he currently does not have one.

I am not going to try to predict what each guy does at any of the weights, but below are my questions on the upper tier/elite guys...

1. Will Dake go down or up in 2020.  I assume down, but in either case, does he make the move this year to try to earn a medal this year (and thus a bye for 2020 OTTs)?

2. Same question for Cox.

3. Same question for Green

4. Can JO make 65 with the 2 day scratch weigh-in process (and still be strong)?  If not, does he commit to 70 and forgo Olympic dream?

5. Does FIx or Lee have anything for Gilman in the next 2 years?

6. Does Gable have anything for Gwiz?

7. Is Molinaro staying at 70 this year and then coming down next year?  Appears to be his plan.

8. Can Stieber be effective at 65?  He looked phenomenal at 61, but up at 65 he has never beaten JO, never wrestled Zain (correction noted below) and has looked small and underwhelming internationally.  Has he changed his body (ala David Taylor)?  Have not seen him in competition since Worlds.

9. Does Pico show up next year at 65?  If so, is he effective?

10. While I don't think Nolf is a threat to win a bracket, can he pull off an upset and throw a monkey wrench into the plans of one of the veterans?

11. Will Hall ever return to his former dominant Freestyle self once he is done with silly Folkstyle NCAA crap that has clearly stunted his growth?  If so, how long will it take and can he do it soon enough to make noise at the senior level in this quad?  At what weight? 

12. Can Zain develop a Freestyle offensive attack?  Without improvement here, he will have a heck of a time making the team, let alone winning a medal.  I have not been impressed with what I have seen of him since he beat Frank at WTTs.  

13. If some of the top guys at non-Olympic weights (e.g. - Dake) do change weights, does this open up the possibility of a young gun (e.g. - Valencia) making the WT this year at non-Olympic weight? 

Edited by Crash

re: #8, Pretty sure Stieber beat Retherford 8-6 at OTT at 65 kg.

Don’t recall that but you are probably right. Good catch.

That was some time ago though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern about Stieber is his rumored diet plan.  I have seen mentioned on this forum that he's now Vegan/Vegetarian.  Although that sounds good on paper, it's not very conducive to maximize the homo sapien's physiology.  Say what you want, cite whatever research you want, it doesn't change the "facts", and the facts are that protein and fat, particularly animal protein and fat, is really really really good for our species.  We're omnivores for a reason. 

With that being said, Stieber's body doesn't "appear" to be retaining muscle mass or definition.  All the technique in the world isn't going to help you if you can't keep a grip, or pull a leg in.  My fear is that this purported diet is hurting his performance.  Eat some meat... it's good for you, and if it's an ethical thing, remind yourself what plant fertilizer is... yup... animal byproducts (or parts).

22 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Amazes me so many of those guys are still chasing a dream they'll never catch.

Agreed.  They should hang them up, join a message board, and talk s*** about others still out there grinding.....

8 minutes ago, Willis said:

Thanks, interesting.

Will be curious to see how quickly "ASAP" ends up being.  Clearly it seems that he would like to be there by the US Open, if not sooner.

11 hours ago, treep2000 said:

My concern about Stieber is his rumored diet plan.  I have seen mentioned on this forum that he's now Vegan/Vegetarian.  Although that sounds good on paper, it's not very conducive to maximize the homo sapien's physiology.  Say what you want, cite whatever research you want, it doesn't change the "facts", and the facts are that protein and fat, particularly animal protein and fat, is really really really good for our species.  We're omnivores for a reason. 

With that being said, Stieber's body doesn't "appear" to be retaining muscle mass or definition.  All the technique in the world isn't going to help you if you can't keep a grip, or pull a leg in.  My fear is that this purported diet is hurting his performance.  Eat some meat... it's good for you, and if it's an ethical thing, remind yourself what plant fertilizer is... yup... animal byproducts (or parts).

World champs Lee Kemp and Sushil Kumar are vegetarians.

And Carl Lewis, a 9x Olympic champ in track and field, is a vegan.

Edited by Katie