Jimmy Cinnabon

PSU - how the dynasty will end

16 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

7 of their 9 relevant starters are from out of state.  

Part of the reason that I've never bought into the "Cael moved to PSU because Pennsylvania wrestlers are so tough" argument. Cael is a talented recruiter and coach, and I have no doubt if he'd not left ISU that ISU would've probably won 8 of the last 9 NCAA titles.

12 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Part of the reason that I've never bought into the "Cael moved to PSU because Pennsylvania wrestlers are so tough" argument. Cael is a talented recruiter and coach, and I have no doubt if he'd not left ISU that ISU would've probably won 8 of the last 9 NCAA titles.

No chance.  He needed the double class to kick start the dynasty.  No Penn State, no Ruth, no Wright, no Molinaro, no titles until much further down the road.  

On 1/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

7 of their 9 relevant starters are from out of state.  

Yes, but take a look at the rosters when he first arrived at PS – the vast majority were from PA, so now that he’s proven his recruiting talent – he can recruit from anywhere, maybe closer to home. I predict the Nolfs, Lees, Cenzos of the world will dry up here in PA. Sure they’ll always be awesome talent coming from this state, but not in the numbers recently seen over the years.

I don't think PSU can keep David Taylor in fold. Mostly, because Taylor's not going to wait 10 years plus for Cael to retire. If Dake or Taylor went to an Ohio State/Michigan quality school located near the NE USA, PSU is done.

7 minutes ago, headache said:

I don't think PSU can keep David Taylor in fold. Mostly, because Taylor's not going to wait 10 years plus for Cael to retire. If Dake or Taylor went to an Ohio State/Michigan quality school located near the NE USA, PSU is done.

Lol. Cael Sanderson's teams will always be there. 

7 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Lol. Cael Sanderson's teams will always be there. 

Yeah I don’t think Dake or Taylor have as much name recognition as Cael.  I’d say the only ones that do are Burroughs or Snyder, and who knows if they can coach.  Plus Cael already had a proven track record as a HC before going to PSU.  I am not a PSU fan, but I don’t see it ending unless there’s a (wrestling) scandal or he goes elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I don’t think Dake or Taylor have as much name recognition as Cael.  I’d say the only ones that do are Burroughs or Snyder, and who knows if they can coach.  Plus Cael already had a proven track record as a HC before going to PSU.  I am not a PSU fan, but I don’t see it ending unless there’s a (wrestling) scandal or he goes elsewhere.

Have no concrete evidence but I get the vibe that he won't retire until he wins an 18th title as head coach

On 1/31/2019 at 5:04 PM, TobusRex said:

Yeah, he was tougher than hell at ISU.  My beloved Pokes never  beat him.  The really cool thing is that they were just so solid from a positional perspective but not much offense.  Then he goes to Penn St and they become the most innovative offensive masters, at several weights.  Jay Rob will never get the credit he deserves for his influence on the Hawkeyes before he moved to Minny.  That's how i view Cael's ISU career.  He was a terror, but he has vastly improved.  I guess I'm also  trying to bring Mr Cunningham into a J Rob comparison, and I think it's the closest thing we have.