Jimmy Cinnabon

PSU - how the dynasty will end

Currently the PSU train looks unstoppable, but here is how it can eventually end.  The question is not if, but when.

1. Cael leaves/retires.  Unless a comparable superstar coach steps in for Cael (e.g. David Taylor) I see this ending the dynasty.

2.  NCAA scandal.  Some scandal is revealed and the NCAA comes down hard on the team with sanctions, zapping scholarships and/or postseason ban.

3. 2-4 years of consecutive busted recruiting classes.  This seems unlikely given the caliber of recruits PSU is getting but if this happened the dynasty would end.

That's all I got.  So far the only scenario that seems likely is #1, and Cael is a young guy who has given no signs of wanting to go elsewhere. 

EDIT: One more thought - Casey Cunningham leaves to take a head coach position and the PSU train at the middleweights dries up.  Instead of having 3-4 potential finalists every year they only have 1 or 2.

Thoughts?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Another possibility:  He recruits, coaches, and mentors a great wrestler.  Then gives said great wrestler an assistant coaching position and further mentors him.  Then the great wrestler turns around and screws him and takes his job, kicking him to the curb like an old dog.  Then a few years later that great wrestler takes the money and runs to another school.  Dynasty is now over.

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

Another possibility:  He recruits, coaches, and mentors a great wrestler.  Then gives said great wrestler an assistant coaching position and further mentors him.  Then the great wrestler turns around and screws him and takes his job, kicking him to the curb like an old dog.  Then a few years later that great wrestler takes the money and runs to another school.  Dynasty is now over.

Haha very clever...although was ISU really considered a dynasty at the time Cael took over?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Only when Cael retires. The rest of that stuff is pretty unlikely. 

I hope it doesn't happen, but I think the most likely thing is that Casey leaves to become a head coach.  I would hate it to see it happen, but if the man wants the job he certain deserves it.

I have heard he is instrumental to PSU's middleweight dominance.

Hard to see it ending at this rate but one has to wonder if the streak will hit a wall much like Gable's streak did in the 80's, when Iowa was going for 10 NCAAs in a row and suddenly dropped out for 5 or 6 years.  If it is business as usual for Penn State in 2021, then I think we all will have to admit that Cael has just got it figured out better than everyone. 

What I could see happening is Cael's program stagnating a bit due to age and success, while someone like Snyder, Taylor or Dake takes the reigns at a competing school and begins to attract the top talent.  Cael will become "old fashioned" eventually, much like how Gable seems to be now.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Taylor seems to have the most youth appeal as a future coach due to his image and style.  I wonder if Snyder and Dake have an interest in coaching.  I think they both would be excellent in MMA.

Taylor already has the shoe.  If Zahid wins two more titles, could pull off Olympic gold, return to ASU, and then corner the California market, maybe he could do something...

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Failure to win a team title over a 3 year period

Seems like fair criteria. 

While I agree your first two scenarios could end PSU's dynasty, why are self-inflicted PSU wounds the only thing you're mentioning?

For Penn State's dynasty to end, somebody is going to have to take it from them.  

I could see it happening as soon as next year.  When they lose the N and N boys they are losing almost 60 points in March.  If just one of the boys going for their 6th year (I believe they have 2) does not get it, there's another 18/20 points. I know they have great recruits coming in/already in, but some of the boys already (RBY) look less than impressive. I would say it is easy they don't win the title next year.  They might win it again in the near future but if they only win the next 2 out of 5, would you consider the dynasty done?

2 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

I could see it happening as soon as next year.  When they lose the N and N boys they are losing almost 60 points in March.  If just one of the boys going for their 6th year (I believe they have 2) does not get it, there's another 18/20 points. I know they have great recruits coming in/already in, but some of the boys already (RBY) look less than impressive. I would say it is easy they don't win the title next year.  They might win it again in the near future but if they only win the next 2 out of 5, would you consider the dynasty done?

if they only win 2 of the next 5 i consider the dynasty over.  However, 3 of the next 5 continues the dynasty.

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

What’s the backstory behind his getting the head job at ISU?