Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Mrs. Casey Cunningham

Interesting tidbit I came across.:

Casey Cunningham, National Champ and 1x National runnerup, 2008 Pan American Games silver medal and was two time U.S. Nationals and World Team Trials runner-up isn't even the best athlete in his family!

His wife, Tara Cunningham (nee Nott) is an Olympic gold medalist in weightlifting, 2x Pan American Games gold medalist, and the only athlete to have trained for three different sports at the United States Olympic Training Center (gymnastics, soccer, and weightlifting).

That is seriously impressive!  Their kids must be athletic!

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

women's gymnastics and weightlifting is a surprising combo.

I'd be more surprised by the combo of weightlifting and soccer.  Soccer plays are known more for endurance and agility rather than power.

Gymnasts and weightlifters both have insane strength to weight ratios.

Truly insane. Plus, from all accounts Casey is a good person. I'm sure his wife is too. 
Those kids are super lucky. I hope they make the most of it. Great genetics, good parents, and a huge amount of access. Pretty cool stuff.
If she tells him to shut up he'd be wise to listen.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, PSUMike said:

I mean gymnastics takes a ridiculous amount of strength so I don't see it as that odd. 

and Olympic weightlifting takes a lot of flexibility and agility, so agreed, not really odd at all. 

11 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

and Olympic weightlifting takes a lot of flexibility and agility, so agreed, not really odd at all. 

I don't know, it does seem kind of odd since gymnasts are like 4'10" and weigh 95 pounds. Not exactly the kind of person you think of when you picture a weight lifter.  

5 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I don't know, it does seem kind of odd since gymnasts are like 4'10" and weigh 95 pounds. Not exactly the kind of person you think of when you picture a weight lifter.  

Gymnasts are the greatest athletes in the world when it comes to strength/balance. Nobody else comes close, not even adherents of the noble sport of wrestling. How many wrestlers do you know that could do an "Iron Cross"?

22 hours ago, NJDan said:

women's gymnastics and weightlifting is a surprising combo.

Not at all. Gymnasts are strong as F###!  I guess it could be surprising because 1) female gymnasts are usually "girly girls" (aka: made up to look cute during their performances) and 2) weightlifters couldn't give less of a damn how cute they are.

Mark Schultz was a state champion gymnast before he started his wrestling career. We all saw how that played out. Wonder why he left gymnastics: was he getting too big?

Edited by TobusRex

24 minutes ago, Zebra said:

They have different weight classes, just like they do in wrestling.

one of the greatest male weight lifters ever, Naim Suleymanoglu, was only 4'10". He won Olympic Gold in 3 straight Games ('88, '92, '96). at a body weight of 132 he was able to clean and jerk over 400 lbs.   

28 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Gymnasts are the greatest athletes in the world when it comes to strength/balance. Nobody else comes close, not even adherents of the noble sport of wrestling. How many wrestlers do you know that could do an "Iron Cross"?

I could back in the day but I also competed in gymnastics a bit. I was a pretty good HS wrestler and a pretty bad gymnast, yeah could do the cross and a few other muscle moves but sucked at basically everything else. 

28 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Tara lifted in the 53k weight class I think at that time, so 111 lb , or so. I use to see her off and on at meets , around that time, as I had a 19 year old daughter lifting in the 57k class also.  Weight lifters are rated by their eight and how much they can lift for their size, and she was always up 1 or 2 for woman in the USA at that time.  

Guys, I get there are weight classes but the only weight lifting women they ever seem to show from the Olympics don't exactly look like could have ever been gymnasts, hence the visual image and initial "strangeness" at thought of the combo.  

07CherylHaworth.jpg?la=en&hash=E0CF72BF672911C53924B2F429C686D77A8BF3FD

Yes, I get this is a stereotype, but if you are not in that world this is the kind of image which initially comes to mind.  

23 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'd be more surprised by the combo of weightlifting and soccer.  Soccer plays are known more for endurance and agility rather than power.

Gymnasts and weightlifters both have insane strength to weight ratios.

Yes, but very different body-types