Sign in to follow this  
AKHUNTER

To be fair........... Does PSU's Hall stall?

Just re-watched the Hall/Valencia match from this year.  PSU guys don't stall in Rec Hall, but if they did...Hall tried 2 slide bys and 3 leg attacks.  Zahid had about 12 leg attacks.  Only 1 or 2 of Zahid's shots seemed legitimate.  They both resorted to the double collar at the end of the match.  A stalemate or two was called, but no stalling.  The ref allows it, so it can't be stalling, right?  I can't watch the other two periods.  Hall bores me to death.  

2nd period was 5 shots to 1 reshot.  Luckily for Hall, the reshot scored.  

3rd period.  Hall road the ankle and and Zahid was gassed from doing all the wrestling the prior two periods!  

March should be interesting, but PSU fans should not feel great about that win.  

Edited by Chrissn2001
I watched the other 2 periods...ugh.

Yes, he has employed tactics that could be considered stalling in tight matches versus top competition.

Then again, so has every other wrestler, ever.

Is his style characterized by stalling as a primary strategy, not at all.  Even the biggest anti-PSUer has to admit Hall's style is characterized by amazing defense, scrambles and the occasional slick move (like a duck).

5 minutes ago, Perry said:

He should have been called for stalling against Joe Smith earlier this year with the muay thai hold for 5 minutes but that's the only example I can think of

I'd agree and bet that approach will get dinged by some officials in the post season.  

59 minutes ago, Perry said:

He should have been called for stalling against Joe Smith earlier this year with the muay thai hold for 5 minutes but that's the only example I can think of

This particular match I thought it was pretty egregious. Otherwise, I wouldn't really associate Hall with stalling. 

3 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

Seems a fair question.

Seems a fair question, yes. But from what I have observed over the years in college wrestling, everyone stalls with the exception of may someone like Nolf. To single out Hall seems a bit odd. What about Fix and Suriano? They stalled for 30 minutes.

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Hall is a great counter wrestler. Does he stall? Not generally, but sometimes maybe. I would have to look at it on a match by match basis.

This.

When the chips are down he is looking to counter and scramble.

He'll throw in a high crotch or 2 but other than that he'll shut her down and wait for a mistake.  Smart and winning wrestling. 

I have to say Lordy................ counter wrestling by definition IS stalling.imo......... since you are "waiting" for the other guy to do something and not trying to set up your own OFFENSE.

By rule you are supposed to be working to improve ALL the time. If you have two guys who wait for the other guy you have a recipe for HUGELY boring matches.

The rules keep changing BECAUSE the refs swallow their whistle and don't call stalling......... refs that won't call what EVERYONE knows is stalling ought to have their balls cut off........... since they don't "have the balls" to call stalling.

I do agree he counters well...which is why it takes an excellent shot to take him down.

7 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

I have to say Lordy................ counter wrestling by definition IS stalling.imo......... since you are "waiting" for the other guy to do something and not trying to set up your own OFFENSE.

By rule you are supposed to be working to improve ALL the time. If you have two guys who wait for the other guy you have a recipe for HUGELY boring matches.

The rules keep changing BECAUSE the refs swallow their whistle and don't call stalling......... refs that won't call what EVERYONE knows is stalling ought to have their balls cut off........... since they don't "have the balls" to call stalling.

I do agree he counters well...which is why it takes an excellent shot to take him down.

I don't necessarily agree with that definition.  Take Randy Lewis, for example.  He'd give the guy his leg so he could counter and get the TD (and back points a lot of time).  However, he was definitely not a staller.  Actually the opposite in my opinion.  An all-time great and very exciting to watch.

I'd have to say that Hall has generated some of the best scambles I've seen. Fun to watch. But I admit he is patient on his feet to the point of being annoying. But Dake the too-often-counter-wrestler was (is) fun to watch too, except when he got in that 3 point stance where time stops and the atmosphere become a solid. The 3 point is so effective that NATO wanted to adopt that stance in case Russia invaded. Unfortunately it is unsustainable because they can't recruit enough boring, inactive people. Times and official review can be more annoying but not by much.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Hall circles, he doesn't back up. He will never get called for circling and staying near center mat, nor should he. If opposing fans don't like this tactic then they should tell their wrestler to not let Hall build a lead on them. Good luck with that. 

2 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I don't necessarily agree with that definition.  Take Randy Lewis, for example.  He'd give the guy his leg so he could counter and get the TD (and back points a lot of time).  However, he was definitely not a staller.  Actually the opposite in my opinion.  An all-time great and very exciting to watch.

Well Randy was creating action without shooting. How many guys do you see just open up and allow a free pass to the legs like that? Not many. He gets used as an example pretty often to compare to wrestlers with great defense, but IMO thats a little misleading because Randy Lewis is such an anomaly.